Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Note Suwanchote
    replied
    Yes it seems the census is that the Sigma Art series have high contrast. Never knew this until recently.

Leave a comment:

• Taikonaut
    replied
    Originally posted by AaronChicago View Post
    Really? I feel like my Sigma 18-35 is higher contrast than any of my primes (Nikkor, Xeen, Rokinon).
    In good lighting you might not be able to tell but try shooting in lowlight. There is compromise with zoom lens design because they crammed in so many glass elements and reduces lights passing through. Likewise pancake primes also suffer the same fate because the campact design also reduces light passing through it.

Leave a comment:

• Denny Smith
    replied
    Yes, however the increased Micro contrast qualitymif the Zeiss lenses make them look brighter, and with an added contrast look. Also, in MFT lenses, the Panny/Leica have nice contrast and Cine looking IQ.
    Cheers

Leave a comment:

• jimagine
    replied
    Agreed. Contrast and sharpness are both signature qualities of the 18-35mm.

Leave a comment:

• AaronChicago
    replied
    Originally posted by Taikonaut View Post
    I find zoom lenses including Sigma 18-35 less bright and have lower contrast than most primes.

Canon pancake primes are also similarly less bright and low contrast just like zoom lenses.

The brightest lenses I uses are all Zeiss primes.
    Really? I feel like my Sigma 18-35 is higher contrast than any of my primes (Nikkor, Xeen, Rokinon).

Leave a comment:

• Taikonaut
    replied
    I find zoom lenses including Sigma 18-35 less bright and have lower contrast than most primes.

Canon pancake primes are also similarly less bright and low contrast just like zoom lenses.

The brightest lenses I uses are all Zeiss primes.
    Last edited by Taikonaut; 06-09-2017, 11:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Karguil
    replied
    This defect seems good but not at all times. I agree that it's not the lens but finding what could be the factors that causes it could help you identify the issue and solve it if you must.

Leave a comment:

• _OZ
    replied
    The effect seems, subjectively, to also be exacerbated with lens adapters, since there is a longer cavernous path for the light to travel until hitting the sensor.

Leave a comment:

• Denny Smith
    replied
    Yes, I always yhink'of a good still camera zoom like the Sigma as a "variable" focal length lens, you dial,in the focal length you want, then shoot.
    Cheers

Leave a comment:

• W.D. Stevens
    replied
    Huh, well, I never knew that. The things you learn, eh? As I said, not really an issue for me as I don't do a lot of zooming within a shot and even if I did, this is probably not the lens for that. Thanks, all!

Leave a comment:

• Denny Smith
    replied
    Most still camera zoom lenses, even if they have a set f/stop, are not totally consistent with the light transmitted, and will have small variances in actual,light transmission. Shooting stills, most DSLR cameras adjusts for this and you do not see an exposure shift. Kim is working on a remote zoom/Iris controller that compensates for the Iris shift on some zoom lenses.

Cine zooms solve this issue, and is why they are so much more expensive.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Denny Smith; 04-30-2017, 08:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• stevesherrick
    replied
    Originally posted by W.D. Stevens View Post
    Hi all,

I've had my Sigma 18-35 since January and loving it so far. I did notice that, when zoomed in (around 24mm+, I think), it actually gets brighter. I initially figured that it was because of the adapter I was using but I've since bought a Metabones BMPCC Speedbooster and it's the same. Not really an issue for me as I very very rarely zoom within a shot but I wanted to know whether it was a defect or a quirk (a defect we like).
    Happens to mine too.

Leave a comment:

• W.D. Stevens
    started a topic Sigma 18-35 Brightness Change on Zoom

Sigma 18-35 Brightness Change on Zoom

Hi all,

I've had my Sigma 18-35 since January and loving it so far. I did notice that, when zoomed in (around 24mm+, I think), it actually gets brighter. I initially figured that it was because of the adapter I was using but I've since bought a Metabones BMPCC Speedbooster and it's the same. Not really an issue for me as I very very rarely zoom within a shot but I wanted to know whether it was a defect or a quirk (a defect we like).
Working...
X