Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poor man's Angenieux - Tokina AT-X-Pro 28-70mm F2.6-2.8

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I'm looking for one (EF) at the moment. If someone (preferably in EU) has one for sale, pls let me know.
    Last edited by Feon; 07-19-2017, 03:35 AM.
    Aleksandar Bogdanov

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Feon View Post
      I'm looking for one (EF) at the moment. If someone (preferably in EU) has one for sale, pls let me know.
      I have a ProII 28-70mm f2.6 with Pentax mount (fully manual) with a PX-EF adaptor.

      I've also got a 28-70mm f2.8 ProI in Nikon mount (fully manual) with an F-EF adaptor. Both in pristine (near mint) condition.

      Comment


      • I have one for sale (Nikon / manual iris) with an EF adaptor:

        http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.ph...genieux-Design

        Comment


        • Hi everybody,

          I acted impulsively and bought the 2.6 in EF mount without considering the iris at all...

          At the moment my only camera is a NX1 which I am about to sell and get a GH5.

          Am I correct in assuming that the "deal" I got on the lens is going to be obliterated by an expensive EF to MFT adapter? Am I better off to sell the this EF and get a different mount? Nikon would be the most flexible, right?

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Herb View Post
            Hi everybody,

            I acted impulsively and bought the 2.6 in EF mount without considering the iris at all...

            At the moment my only camera is a NX1 which I am about to sell and get a GH5.

            Am I correct in assuming that the "deal" I got on the lens is going to be obliterated by an expensive EF to MFT adapter? Am I better off to sell the this EF and get a different mount? Nikon would be the most flexible, right?
            That really depends if you want to be able to adjust the iris or not. I suspect, unless you're using it on a native EF mount camera - or one with a 'smart' adaptor compatible with that lens - then controlling the iris may be difficult.

            Getting a lens with a manual iris means you're 100% assured you can control f/stops in the lens, regardless of the camera it's attached to. The Nikon & Pentax versions of these lenses have manual iris.

            Comment


            • I have this lens incoming. Very excited to test it against the Nikon AI lenses. Might be a good option for handheld.
              www.instagram.com/vautksch

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Rotbart View Post
                I have this lens incoming. Very excited to test it against the Nikon AI lenses. Might be a good option for handheld.

                My version is definitely softer than my Nikon AI primes even at 5.6, which is to be expected though to some degree. I have the Bayonet 77mm 2.6-2.8 version. I'm not sure if others have noticed some slight softness but I still regularly shoot with it and mix it with my Nikons anyway. I
                www.jonschweigart.com

                Comment


                • So I tested it against my Nikon AIs and wll post an excerpt here. Just for comparison. Whatever you will take from that. It is soft wide open but works great @f4.0 and f5.6 (who knew...)
                  These are the ATX Pro 28-70mm F2.6-2.8 vs Nikon 28mm2.8 AI/Nikon 50mm 1.4 AI/ Nikon 85mm 2.0 AI
                  It is my first constant aperture zoom and even if its not as sharp I like it as an option very much.
                  The color shifts when stopping down (it is warmer wide open) and I will never get used to that I guess.

                  Originally posted by Jon View Post
                  My version is definitely softer than my Nikon AI primes even at 5.6, which is to be expected though to some degree. I have the Bayonet 77mm 2.6-2.8 version. I'm not sure if others have noticed some slight softness but I still regularly shoot with it and mix it with my Nikons anyway. I
                  I found the same. I think it will sit @f4.0
                  Attached Files
                  www.instagram.com/vautksch

                  Comment


                  • When I named the tread "poor mans ANGENIEUX" - consider it a hint, that this is not about sharpness
                    Blog: http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

                    Comment


                    • Oh yes! Don't get me wrong. I think it's a great zoom and actually my first as I wrote. I am really keen to try it on i upcoming projects. Soft doesn't mean bad in my mind. I am reslly happy that you recommended that zoom! Also got a good deal on a good condition one for 180€ - which is great for me as a student.
                      www.instagram.com/vautksch

                      Comment


                      • Is this the correct lens? I received it today.

                        IMG_4125.jpgIMG_5470.jpg

                        Comment


                        • Yep, that's the version II with a bayonet mount.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by trispembo View Post
                            Yep, that's the version II with a bayonet mount.
                            What's the image quality difference between this one and the version 1?

                            Comment


                            • I think you're cool so long as it's labelled 2.6-2.8. I think the grey area comes in on some of the foreign market (non US) models where it's still the Angenieux formula but only labelled f2.8.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Bino View Post
                                What's the image quality difference between this one and the version 1?
                                Very little difference as far as I can tell - but I've never had the f/2.6-2.8 Version I & II side by side.

                                I have had the Japanese market model (77mm filter f/2.8) Version I (screw hood) and Version II (bayonet hood) and tested them against the f/2.6-2.8 Version II (same as you have) and found them to be almost identical. Any difference I put down to sample variations rather than design variation. Out of the four copies I tested, the copy I settled on was the Japanese market Version I (screw hood, f/2.8) in Nikon mount. It seems if there is a difference between Version I & Version II (both f/2.6-2.8 & f/2.8 models) it may be the optical coatings. The optical formula/design appears to be identical.

                                That said, I did end up getting the Angenieux model rehoused by KimCamera in Korea, and will be using that one with my UM46kPL.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X