Best wide lens tokina or rokinon.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best wide lens tokina or rokinon.

I have the bmcc and recently got the canon c100. I am torn between the rokinon 12mm cine or tokina 11-16. Which,would better match for my sigma art 18-35 and 24-105 art lenses.

I have the Rokinon 10mm (cine DS) and it is by far one of my favorites. have heard great things about the 12mm as well.
    Forrest Schultz
    Atlas Lens Co.
    YouTube///Vimeo

Comment

the only problem i find with the wide rokinons are filtration, you cant filter them!

Comment

I use the Tokina 11-16mm. It's a stellar lens S35 lens. It would extend your focal lengths nicely into ultra-wide territory.

Comment

I was not satisfied enough with the optical quality of the Tokina, so I got the Rokinon 10mm and 16mm. The 16mm can take screw-on filters.
          I made one of the kooky home-made slip-on filter holders for the front of the 10mm and surprisingly it works just fine.

That Rokinon 10mm is one far-out lens.
          Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
          Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
          Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Comment

Originally posted by DPStewart View Post
            I was not satisfied enough with the optical quality of the Tokina, so I got the Rokinon 10mm and 16mm. The 16mm can take screw-on filters.
            I made one of the kooky home-made slip-on filter holders for the front of the 10mm and surprisingly it works just fine.

That Rokinon 10mm is one far-out lens.
            Can you tell me or provide a link to how you made that kooky slip on filter holder? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by JLdp View Post
              the only problem i find with the wide rokinons are filtration, you cant filter them!
              For the record, the Rok 12mm has statndard 67mm threads and has no filter issues.

It also cuts well with the Sigma 18-35 as does the Rok 85mm and 50mm in my xperience.

Comment

I own both the 10mm and 16mm Rokinon, and I loved them both on my BMCC. Having moved over to the Ursa Mini 4.6k, the 10 doesn't get any play anymore. On the BMCC, I was actually able to rig a matte box and filter to work with it, even with the hood, but it's so wide on the 4.6k, it's not at all possible.

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasHennessy View Post
                  I own both the 10mm and 16mm Rokinon, and I loved them both on my BMCC. Having moved over to the Ursa Mini 4.6k, the 10 doesn't get any play anymore. On the BMCC, I was actually able to rig a matte box and filter to work with it, even with the hood, but it's so wide on the 4.6k, it's not at all possible.
                  Are you getting vignetting Thomas?
                  Or are you saying it's just a matter of rigging logistics?
                  Or is it that the lens is now TOO wide?
                  Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
                  Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
                  Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Comment

I love the rokinon 16mm actually.

10mm is also rad.

Big fan of the Tokina 11-20mm (slightly lesser known than 11-16 , which I don't like)

the sigma 14mm f1.8 is going to be honkers though.
                    Dan Kanes
                    www.dankanes.com

Comment

I prefer the Rokinon 10 and 16 over the Tokina. However the 10mm on the URSA has a subtle fisheye effect to it. I am actually thinking of getting the Rokinon 12mm cine. Does the 12mm have that fisheye effect or vignette on an URSA 4K and above?

Comment

I believe the 12mm may be okay, up to APS-C like the 10mm, but likely won't cover Super 35. There's more than one kind of 12mm so read carefully.

Remember you may have problems with infrared on these very wide lenses with BMD cameras as most IR Cut won't cut it.

Comment

Thanks Rick. I was also wondering the issue it could have with IR Cut so thanks for pointing that out too. Looking back at the Tokina...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...f_2_8_pro.html
                          Last edited by EYu; 03-21-2017, 09:08 PM.

Comment

EYu, the link you provided is EF mount but only APS-C sensors, not full-frame, so good on the BMD 4K sensor but may not cover 4.6K. Did I misunderstand something?

Comment

Originally posted by rick.lang View Post
                              EYu, the link you provided is EF mount but only APS-C sensors, not full-frame, so good on the BMD 4K sensor but may not cover 4.6K. Did I misunderstand something?
                              Hey Rick, my bad there. You are right it won't cover the 4.6K. I'm not even sure if they have a FF at all.
                              Last edited by EYu; 03-21-2017, 11:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X