Brand New 1.5X Single Focus Anamorphic Adapter Design - Forrest Schultz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brand New 1.5X Single Focus Anamorphic Adapter Design - Forrest Schultz

Hey everyone, this has been my secret baby for months now, i have done an immense amount of study, testing, received mentoring from a renowned cinema lens designer, and finally would like to share what i what have achieved in my endeavors. I shared this in the "Anamorphic Shooters" group over on Facebook.

I'll copy and paste from there what i wrote:

Some of you may remember my dream of creating an affordable Anamorphic solution (1.5x or 2x) that has all the key features, single focus, close focusing capability, minimal aberrations/distortion, aside from a few "defects" that i personally wanted in the system. The biggest aesthetic for me would be to retain the "waterfall" Bokeh and the unique feel as the system is focused. Ever since i was a kid i noticed the slight focal shift or pull in some of my favorite Anamorphic films. This "breathing" is a unique type, and through general feedback, is something that makes the image more alive. In my world An ISCO variable-diopter system was not going to cut it. While the design is simple, and many are using it right now, It will never achieve close focus without compromise. Aside from that, it has obvious limitations surrounding its expense for manufacture, ( large diameter front to avoid vignetting, etc.)

I am proud to present that after months of study, countless hours of trial and error, over 30 designs, and now an actual mathematical equation (relating to lens theory) for proper focal adjustment, I have finally built a working model of my Prototype 1.5x Single Focus Adapter. This Adapter focuses the entire system internally, meaning you only need to set the taking lens to infinity, and the system will focus from Infinity down to 8 inches. Also, the finalized design will not cause greater image degradation at larger apertures. This has almost always been the case when From variable diopter systems are implemented. Sharp Center, and just slight degradation in the edges will be obtainable at Apertures of F2.0 or larger

I still have some things i can align better, and will do further testing, and if you watch the video and think, wow it looks really blurry, soft focus, distorted, Please remember this is an unoptimized design of multiple elements i selectively had built and placed individually by hand. The video is captured without any housing, and most uncoated surfaces cause way to many unneeded flares. I am pulling focus literally with my hands inside the adapter. What i wanted to share is a first look as it was quite an exciting moment for me (especially when theory and a purpose invented equation are proven to be true right in front of you.
    The biggest breakthough happened last night, Hence the nighttime footage and today's daytime bedroom shot.
    Thank you for watching! And if there are any investors out there, now may be the right time to get ahold of me. I can answer any questions you may have regarding the project.
    I am sharing because i have every intention of bringing this product to the optimization stage and to final production for sale. I have spoken with multiple manufacturers. I really want to be able to produce at a price that is obtainable for filmmakers and hobbyists like myself. Of course the level of optimization and tolerances has alot to do with the final quality. I would love to hear your thoughts. I really am adamant about nailing down every single point that most other adapter designers have left out (from a technical design stanpoint i know why they hadn't solved it) Which is why i created a whole new design.

What would you personally like to see in something like a Kickstarter campaign to believe it can be successful? What makes your Anamorphic heart tick? thank you!

https://vimeo.com/165279290

Daylight Footage f/2-f/4 mainly

https://vimeo.com/165391257

Test with BMPCC , Speedbooster, and Rokinon 50 at f/4

https://vimeo.com/165497608

1.7x squeeze variant test

https://vimeo.com/166442748

1.5x 35mm taking lens (maxing out wide-angle test)

https://vimeo.com/166464023
    Last edited by Revdesign Industries; 05-13-2016, 03:11 AM.
    Forrest Schultz
    Atlas Lens Co.
    YouTube///Vimeo

Well now, not everyone can tell their grandkids they built an anamorphic adapter! Would be interesting to see the BTS of what you actually have, but if what you have is unique, you need to talk to an international patent lawyer yesterday!

Comment

Very interesting.
      www.lightformfilm.com
      https://vimeo.com/suwanchote

follow me on instagram @lightformfilm

Comment

Looks really interesting, I love the anamorphic look.
        What price range do you have in mind for the final product ?

Comment

Originally posted by rick.lang View Post
          Well now, not everyone can tell their grandkids they built an anamorphic adapter! Would be interesting to see the BTS of what you actually have, but if what you have is unique, you need to talk to an international patent lawyer yesterday!
          Thank you Rick! i would be very happy to show you inside it hopefully someday soon. As long as you don't mind waiting a little longer. I know i will enjoy explaining why it works, and will work better than anything i've seen before it.

Originally posted by Note Suwanchote View Post
          Very interesting.
          Thanks!!

Originally posted by Misa View Post
          Looks really interesting, I love the anamorphic look.
          What price range do you have in mind for the final product ?
          Thanks Misa, ideally, because i treat this as if i were buying it myself, I would like to keep the final item around $2000. This includes an optimized optical design and wide lens coverage as well. Soon enough i can have a firmer price but that will be up to the manufacturing.
          Forrest Schultz
          Atlas Lens Co.
          YouTube///Vimeo

Comment

New Daytime video test added, infinity at center has been largely improved since last nights test.
            Forrest Schultz
            Atlas Lens Co.
            YouTube///Vimeo

Comment

I am absolutely more than intrigued. First off major props for even taking the time to build this, my lego spaceships just don't compare

But seriously, I look forward to seeing what you are able to come up with in a final product. What size lenses are you hoping to cover, front diameter wise?

Comment

love the look! but $2000 is a lot of coin for an amateur film maker like me. not sure if I'd be able to put that much down for something like this. for less than $2000 I could get a used kowa anamorphic plus the slr magic rangefinder and that would give me a single focus anamorphic setup for less money. just something to keep in mind.
                Vimeo profile
                VFX Showreel
                IMDB

Comment

$2000 is a lot of money for sure, but it is definitely on par with cost/performance. I mean, the anamorphot adapter from SLR Magic still goes for $1,000+ and cannot be used on lenses with front thread diameters larger than 62mm. If he can get this to 77mm I'd gladly pay $2000 as would a majority of people. I mean look at the following veydra had when they announced they were looking into anamorphic lenses themselves (I'm still sad they had to disband that project).

I know that doesn't make it easy for everyone to jump on board but I can sympathize with why he has to price near there.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy Davis View Post
                    $2000 is a lot of money for sure, but it is definitely on par with cost/performance. I mean, the anamorphot adapter from SLR Magic still goes for $1,000+ and cannot be used on lenses with front thread diameters larger than 62mm. If he can get this to 77mm I'd gladly pay $2000 as would a majority of people. I mean look at the following veydra had when they announced they were looking into anamorphic lenses themselves (I'm still sad they had to disband that project).

I know that doesn't make it easy for everyone to jump on board but I can sympathize with why he has to price near there.
                    Thank you Tommy! and yes, The truth is getting this made professionally will not be cheap, i am trying to keep the cost accessible by doing as much of the design as humanly possible as i can. This because most Lens Designers are between $350-$400 an hour. On average they spend 20-40 hours on a project. So doing that would not be very cost efficient, which is why i took on studying and jumping in head first into the lens design. I took an old school approach and am designing in the real first, and the will later pass on my patented design for optimization. Thank you for the kind words!!

4saken, Totally respect that. While there is no set price, i can understand how it sounds like a lot, but really, if you factor in what it will be capable:

wide angle taking lenses, 21-24mm wide angles at S35 (equivalent to 35mm full frame)
                    sharp at large open apertures,
                    combined with all in one internal focusing,

Remember how SLR rangefinders work, its more glass that goes *infront* of your anamorphic lens, and one element needs to pull away from the other meaning the whole front assembly moves, this causes strong abberations at close focus and for that reason they state to work around 5.6 aperture and above. this as well as the vignetting because of the sheer length of the system. Minimum focus is 3.6 ft (my adapter can do infinity down to 1 ft and this is just the prototype)
                    That being said there is no reason why those things limitations wont work for some.

What i am offering should be entirely different than stacked adapters. Where other adapters and Single focus additions (FM, Rectilux, Rangerfinder) fail or have limitations, i hope to find as strengths in my system.

Improved Anamorphic "Mojo" (better bokeh, proper anamorphic lens focal shift/breathing)
                    Internal focusing, (elements are contained within the adapter and there is no movement or spinning of the adapter front, allowing for Matteboxes or filter holders to be used in conjuction.

I am taking the time to list things as they come to mind. 4saken, these aren't directed as rebuttals or anything to your points. Just in case people have questions as to why this would be any different than another adapter.
                    Below are some updates of the Design and also a new test video. Now shot on the BMPCC with Speedbooster

https://vimeo.com/165497608

and a quick render for fun:

mockup.jpg
                    Forrest Schultz
                    Atlas Lens Co.
                    YouTube///Vimeo

Comment

Here are some grabs taken in Stills Mode on a Canon T2i, this is with an old takumar 55 at f/1.8 and also f/5.6 ( they look almost identical) labeled here and downloadable if youd like to scale them up:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nvilnl57b...oqbwp_N5a?dl=0
                      Forrest Schultz
                      Atlas Lens Co.
                      YouTube///Vimeo

Comment

Originally posted by Revdesign Industries View Post
                        What i am offering should be entirely different than stacked adapters. Where other adapters and Single focus additions (FM, Rectilux, Rangerfinder) fail or have limitations, i hope to find as strengths in my system.

Improved Anamorphic "Mojo" (better bokeh, proper anamorphic lens focal shift/breathing)
                        Internal focusing, (elements are contained within the adapter and there is no movement or spinning of the adapter front, allowing for Matteboxes or filter holders to be used in conjuction.

I am taking the time to list things as they come to mind. Just in case people have questions as to why this would be any different than another adapter.
                        what you should do is a video that shows how it is better. a side by side comparison of footage between your product and your competitors.

Comment

Originally posted by ugafan View Post
                          what you should do is a video that shows how it is better. a side by side comparison of footage between your product and your competitors.
                          Thanks ugafan! very true, I hope to do that once i can correct a bit more for the edge softness seen in my footage altough, this will not affect the test of mojo vs front focusing elements. I could do that very soon. As im responding, i am realizing how much a genus idea that really is. and thank you!
                          Forrest Schultz
                          Atlas Lens Co.
                          YouTube///Vimeo

Comment

Some new footage to look over. Last test is with a 35mm on a Speedboosted pocket. 1.5x squeeze

Waiting on some new glass to arrive. Next step would be to make the front element large enough. O.D. of assembly can be 120mm and i think i can get 24mm of S35 no vignette.

Forrest Schultz
                            Atlas Lens Co.
                            YouTube///Vimeo

Comment

Having internal focus and being able to put a matte box on will be great, my rectilux 3FF-W doesn't work with my mine currently and the front moving focus is a bummer but I get some great looking images. How heavy to estimate your adapter to be?

Comment

Working...
                              X