Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sony CineAlta Primes

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Sony CineAlta Primes

    Recently we acquired a new Sony CineAlta 25mm T2 prime lens (latest version) and were blown away by how nice this lens is. So much so we just ordered a full set of 6. We primarily shot on Pockets, and this CineAlta was amazing. Reminded me of a perfect mix of a Zeiss UltraPrime and a Cooke S4 - very sharp but not clinically so. Beautiful focus falloff. No CA whatsoever. None. When we tested the 25mm Sony against a 24mm Xeen it was clear the Sony lens was superior in every way.

    I'll post some video this week.

    Okay, all this blathering is getting to a point: If you're considering getting a set of Xeen's you MUST check out the Sony CineAlta's first - they're only fractionally more expensive than the Xeen's and are vastly superior in every way.

    And just to clarify, I'm talking about the latest version of the CineAlta's, not to be confused with the first version, which were mostly plastic.

    Can't wait to use these CineAlta's on our new 4.6k's.

  • #2
    How big of a Matte Box / filters do you need to cover those? Love to see a picture mounted on a Pocket, they are huge aren't they? Also I'm pretty sure you posted a link to a PL mount Focal Reducer in another thread. If that was you could you put it up again, Thanks.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by dop16mm View Post
      How big of a Matte Box / filters do you need to cover those? Love to see a picture mounted on a Pocket, they are huge aren't they? Also I'm pretty sure you posted a link to a PL mount Focal Reducer in another thread. If that was you could you put it up again, Thanks.
      The lenses are standard 114mm fronts. On a Pocket a 4x4 filter will cover any focal length. On an S35 sensor a 4x4 will still work on all of the focal lengths except the 20mm - for that one you'll need a 4x5.65 filter.

      You have a good memory - yup, that was me who posted about that PL/M43 Speed Booster. Here's the link:

      http://www.adorama.com/KABEM43PL.html

      And ignore the reviews - they're not for this particular adapter.

      Comment


      • #4
        I've been suggesting these for a long time now. Absolutely no reason to buy Xeens with these being the same or less in price. If I had $12,000, I'd throw it down immediately.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by vicharris View Post
          I've been suggesting these for a long time now. Absolutely no reason to buy Xeens with these being the same or less in price. If I had $12,000, I'd throw it down immediately.
          My new favorite lens:

          cinealta25mm.jpg

          Comment


          • #6
            I have seen these lenses once in person, and i was never more tempted steal something that didn't belong to me. These have a gorgeous design, very sleek. I have heard great things about them! If you ever show it hooked up in a pocket set up you will be my hero!

            it has 11+ iris blades correct?
            Forrest Schultz
            Atlas Lens Co.
            YouTube///Vimeo

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Revdesign Industries View Post
              I have seen these lenses once in person, and i was never more tempted steal something that didn't belong to me. These have a gorgeous design, very sleek. I have heard great things about them! If you ever show it hooked up in a pocket set up you will be my hero!

              it has 11+ iris blades correct?
              Agreed. These are really beautifully made lenses. Haven't counted the iris blades, but there's a bunch of them in there - could be 11. I'm currently adapter-less (PL/M43 - out in the field today), so this mock-up pic will have to do for today. I'll get an adapter back by tomorrow and will post pictures of the rig and maybe even some video.

              cinealta25mm2.jpg

              Comment


              • #8
                Haha! Niiice...

                Say...what's that little thing attached to your lens Bill!?!?
                Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
                Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
                Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by DPStewart View Post
                  Haha! Niiice...

                  Say...what's that little thing attached to your lens Bill!?!?
                  That's a uh, um. Uhhh. What the hell is that thing, anyway...?

                  The whole set is exactly the same size save for the 135mm - which is even bigger (obviously).

                  Pretty ridiculous, eh?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    9 iris blades on the Sony CineAlta primes.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Have a look at the thread over here: http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...mes-from-Sony-!

                      Somewhere i gave a comment based on my extensive testing for "Digital Production" (Munich). These are great lenses for the price, but don't get the first generation horrible plastic, tilted and glued in screws, bad fitting of the PL mount.

                      Some of them looked so similar to Red Pro Primes (now out of production) that I thought they may come from the same manufacturer (the rumor has they were from Japan).

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Nomad View Post
                        Have a look at the thread over here: http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...mes-from-Sony-!

                        Somewhere i gave a comment based on my extensive testing for "Digital Production" (Munich). These are great lenses for the price, but don't get the first generation – horrible plastic, tilted and glued in screws, bad fitting of the PL mount.

                        Some of them looked so similar to Red Pro Primes (now out of production) that I thought they may come from the same manufacturer (the rumor has they were from Japan).
                        I'm pretty sure both versions of the Sony cine primes are made by Minolta. And you're right, the first gen were mostly plastic and pretty flimsy. The current version are all metal and are built like tanks. Quality and performance-wise they really should be $5-6k each (or more). I haven't used a lot of Red prime lenses, but I'm confident these Sony's are superior in image quality - I remember the Red primes being very washed out and seemed to rob the camera of dynamic range.

                        And thanks for the clarification on the number of iris blades, Rick.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          $12,900 for a set of six CineAlta primes. $9,999 for a set of 5 Xeen primes. Virtually a tie on price and features as long as you don't need to cover that RED Weapon Dragon 8K sensor. CineAlta optics may be a win as previously indicated.

                          But I'm still planning to slowly assemble a set of SLR Magic APO primes since, like Vic, I just can't spend $12,900 all at once. However six or seven APO lenses will possibly cost about $9,000 by the time I factor in shipping, brokerage, and customs etc. But I bet that set will take two years to build if I'm lucky.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by rick.lang View Post
                            $12,900 for a set of six CineAlta primes. $9,999 for a set of 5 Xeen primes. Virtually a tie on price and features as long as you don't need to cover that RED Weapon Dragon 8K sensor. CineAlta optics may be a win as previously indicated.

                            But I'm still planning to slowly assemble a set of SLR Magic APO primes since, like Vic, I just can't spend $12,900 all at once. However six or seven APO lenses will possibly cost about $9,000 by the time I factor in shipping, brokerage, and customs etc. But I bet that set will take two years to build if I'm lucky.
                            Those prices are about right. That is a drag that you can't buy these individually. Now that our full set has arrived I've got two 25mm CineAlta's, so I may be selling one of them soon. Anyone interested please drop me a PM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Could well be Minolta, after all they made good glass for decades and Sony bought all their knowledge.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X