Leica R primes test and comparison on BMPCC+Speed Booster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leica R primes test and comparison on BMPCC+Speed Booster

Quick test / comparison of Leica R primes on Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera + BMPCC Speed Booster (Leica-R version). Mostly for my own non-scientific sake, but maybe someone else find this interesting

https://vimeo.com/133691243

Lenses tested:
    Leica Elmarit-R 19mm f/2.8
    Leica Elmarit-R 28mm f/2.8
    Leica Elmarit-R 35mm f/2.8
    Leica Summicron-R 50mm f/2
    Leica Summicron-R 90mm f/2
    (More info on lenses and camera settings in video)

Will also do some testing of the 35-70mm f/3.5 and 70-210mm f/4 zoom lenes in another video, coming soon.

Lovely set of lenses, feel free to ask any questions about them!

LeicaR_1.jpgLeicaR_2.jpg
    Last edited by johancederholm; 07-20-2015, 11:39 AM.

I can also add that the focus is on the owl in the background in the first shots, because I filmed this myself
    The video is also available for download from Vimeo, for those who want to watch it in better quality.

The test include comparison of flares, FOV, bokeh, breathing and some sharpness and color comparisons. Nothing fancy, just some quick testing.

Comment

I would like to see how is the 50mm and the 90mm @f/2...

Comment

Originally posted by Max Minoia View Post
        I would like to see how is the 50mm and the 90mm @f/2...
        Yeah, that would be interesting as well, might put up a test of that as well
        However, they are sharp wide open, might be that the 90mm Elmarit-R f/2.8 is sharper than the Summicron wide open.

I must say that the 90mm Summicron-R is a little disappointing compared to the others, especially the 70-210mm f/4... But the extra two stops is great to have sometimes, and something magical happens when you open it up.

Comment

Here is the test of zoom lenses that I mentioned earlier

https://vimeo.com/134020485

Lenses tested:
          Leica Vario-Elmar-R 35-70mm f/3.5
          Leica Vario-Elmar-R 70-210mm f/4
          (More info on lenses and camera settings in video)

Please note that the light was a little bit different in the last comparison, between the Summicron 50mm and Vario-Elmar 35-70! Unfortunately I didn't notice this until I put together the clips in the edit.
          They seem to be parfocal to me, and not that much of a light loss when zooming in. Was positively surprised by the quality of these zooms all in all, as they don't have the reputation of some of the primes, or other zooms, in the Leica R line up.

Right now I'm pretty happy with this set, but an Elmarit 90mm instead of the Summicron might have been a better match to the rest. I will also fit all lenses with Hoya UV-filters, instead of different brands, that might help give them a slightly more uniform look. A 15mm f/3.5 and a 135mm or 180mm f/2.8 is probably the best choices for expanding this set, but you can't mount filters to the 15mm and it's quite pricey I used to have a Zeiss 16mm f/2.8 fisheye as well, I think it was a nice wide-angle on the BMCC and surprisingly non-fisheye when used on a RED Scarlet-X in 4K also. The Leica R equal would be fun to try out as well... If any of you have experiences with these lenses, maybe even on BMPCC or BMCC, I would love to hear your thoughts I like to have as many of my lenses in the Leica R line up, at least for the moment.

Comment

I have used pretty much every Leica R lens there is on the Red One MX camera. I have also used some of them on the BMCPC with the Metabones speed adapter.

I have a set of Nikons and a great set of Zeiss ZF.2's and almost never use them because I love the look of the Leicas.

My main Leica R set is:

19mm F/2.8 Version 1 Incredible lens not as good as the Zeiss 21mm F/2.8.. But it is wider and much better then the Zeiss 18mm
            21mm F/4.0 I don't use this one so much anymore since I got the 19mm. But you can score these cheaper because of the 4.0 fstop. AA great wide angle lens.
            24mm F/2.8 this sometimes does not get the best reviews. I think from Leica snobs. Due to being designed by Minolta. But this is a great lens. You can tell by the high pice real users think this as well.
            28mm F/2.8 My favorite Leica R lens. You can get them for a good price still and you can shoot an entire film with just this one lens.
            35mm F/2.0 Sharp and awesome bokeh
            50mm F/1.4 Summilux I got a deal on this one. It has smoother Bokeh then the 50 Summicron. But for the money. I think the Summicron is a better deal.
            90mm F/2.0 This one of my favorites with the SLR magic Anamorphot. I use this one and the 28mm alot with the 2x Anamorphot.
            135mm F/2.8 These lenses are a still at the prices they go for great color, sharp and a Mandler design. What more could you want from a 135mm?
            180mm F/2.8 APO.. I got a deal on this in Japan.But the regular 180mm is a deal at the moment. Much better then the Nikon 180mm and not much more money then the Nikon. The build quaility is incredible on this lens. Build like a tank and everything about it oozes quality.

I think you have a great set up there and thanks for the tests...
            http://erickvonschulz.com/

Comment

Nice tests. Thanks.

Convinced me I need to revisit my opinion of these Leicas. Maybe they'd be a better rental than I've been thinking.
              Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
              Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
              Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Comment

Originally posted by syberfilm View Post
                I have used pretty much every Leica R lens there is on the Red One MX camera. I have also used some of them on the BMCPC with the Metabones speed adapter.

I have a set of Nikons and a great set of Zeiss ZF.2's and almost never use them because I love the look of the Leicas.

My main Leica R set is:

19mm F/2.8 Version 1 Incredible lens not as good as the Zeiss 21mm F/2.8.. But it is wider and much better then the Zeiss 18mm
                21mm F/4.0 I don't use this one so much anymore since I got the 19mm. But you can score these cheaper because of the 4.0 fstop. AA great wide angle lens.
                24mm F/2.8 this sometimes does not get the best reviews. I think from Leica snobs. Due to being designed by Minolta. But this is a great lens. You can tell by the high pice real users think this as well.
                28mm F/2.8 My favorite Leica R lens. You can get them for a good price still and you can shoot an entire film with just this one lens.
                35mm F/2.0 Sharp and awesome bokeh
                50mm F/1.4 Summilux I got a deal on this one. It has smoother Bokeh then the 50 Summicron. But for the money. I think the Summicron is a better deal.
                90mm F/2.0 This one of my favorites with the SLR magic Anamorphot. I use this one and the 28mm alot with the 2x Anamorphot.
                135mm F/2.8 These lenses are a still at the prices they go for great color, sharp and a Mandler design. What more could you want from a 135mm?
                180mm F/2.8 APO.. I got a deal on this in Japan.But the regular 180mm is a deal at the moment. Much better then the Nikon 180mm and not much more money then the Nikon. The build quaility is incredible on this lens. Build like a tank and everything about it oozes quality.

I think you have a great set up there and thanks for the tests...
                Glad you liked the test
                Yes, they are very nice lenses indeed. Great collection you got there I will probably get the 135mm Elmarit as well. The 15mm F/3.5 and the 16mm F/2.8 Fisheye also interest me...

How do you mount the Leicas to the Red One? Birger Canon mount or Leitax Canon mount, or using some other adapter/mount?

Comment

I can also add that I got a small set of Zeiss Jena M42 lenses as well, 20mm F/2.8 , 35mm F/2.4 , 50mm F1.8 & 135mm F3.5
                  Great look and feel from those as well, a little warmer and more vintage I think. Will probably do a comparison between the two sets soon
                  This is all I got at the moment, shot on Canon 5D: http://johancederholm.deviantart.com...50mm-584514153

Comment

Very nice results. The speedbooster helps improve MTF for the smaller sensor. I have the MD Rokkor Minolta version of that 35-70 made when Leica and Minolta were partners. Lovely lens.

Comment

Hello, i own cron 35/50/90 and they are my fav lens from all time.

I really love the smooth bokeh transition and contrast, and the color rendition under low quality lights. Those lenses magnify everything

Comment

The vimeo link isn't working. Any chance there is a new one somewhere? Cheers.

Comment

Here we offer Home Made Rug Designs Read More

Comment

Working...
                          X