Pocket and Speedbooster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pocket and Speedbooster

I've been using two Pockets regularly for two years and have often considered getting a Metabones Speedbooster since I also have a C100 with a 24-105 and 17-55. But it seems every time I'm about to place the order, there's a new complaint - at first it was all glowing recommendations, then there seemed to be a lot of problems, IS going on or off unexpectedly, etc - the latest is from those who have modified the 17-55 , had no problems, but now report the aperture is acting "weird".

I've combed this and other forums regularly and my desire for the Speedbooster goes up and down like a teeter-totter with each thread.

So I'd like to hear from people who have actually been using the Pocket-specific Metabones with Canon EF and/or modified EF-S lenses for a while, and how reliable the combination has been for them.

BTW, one of the things that has made me resistant to using any smart adapter is that I dislike - "hate" actually is a better word - the aperture control on the Pocket Camera. I kept hoping BM would add a firmware feature that would allow one to disable the "Okay" button - but that hasn't happened. Since I do use several MFT Panasonic and Olympus lenses, I finally decided to solve the problem myself. I came up with a super-simple solution using two small zip-ties. I'll provide details if anyone's interested.

The complaints you read are mostly isolated incidents. As with any product there might be bad ones slipping through QC, but then you have it replaced. If you buy the SB of course it should (and most likely will) do everything it claims to. If you own Canon lenses it seems like a great addition.

Tobias N - Gaffer / Cinematographer

Comment

Thanks for the reply - I decided to bite the bullet and ordered one, directly from Metabones, which might have been a mistake if I get a bad one, return/replacements aren't easy with them I hear...

Comment

Originally posted by Mac View Post
        Thanks for the reply - I decided to bite the bullet and ordered one, directly from Metabones, which might have been a mistake if I get a bad one, return/replacements aren't easy with them I hear...
        I'd like to hear about your experience with the Metabones SB on your BMPC utilizing EF mount lenses. Which lenses have you used with the speedbooster and what were your conclusions? Worth it or should a BMPC user simply continue to buy MFT lenses unique for this camera? I have both the BMPC and an older EF BMCC. Thanks for your insight

Comment

I've been using the SB on my pocket (specifically made for that model) since I got the camera in August 2014. I've used it on all my Canon L lenses (17-35 f2.8, 24 f1.4, 24-105 f4, 50 f1.2, 70-200 f2.8) with no problems. It's a great addition to anyone who has Canon glass and wants to expand to their choices.

The iris control is definitely not run and gun, and I'd recommend VariND if you want that sort of control.

Comment

Working...
          X