Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tokina 11-16 - nikon mount question

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been touched on in another post. I've a nikon mount tokina 11-16 (and a nikon/sigma 24-70) and am wondering about which BMC (and adapter) to get. Budget is limited, meaning I'll probably be using these lenses for a bit, so for me the draw of MFT (ie a wide choice of lenses) is somewhat reduced.

The only advantages of EF seem to be in the electronic AF/exposure areas. Can anyone recommend a nikon F > EF adapter that'd give electronic iris control for EF mount? The tokina has no manual aperture control ring. Or is it better to get an adapter with built-in manual aperture control (for either EF or MFT)? If so, any recommendations?

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Many thanks!

I think you want an adapter with a manual aperture control as the Nikon lenses without an aperture ring are still mechanically controlled by the camera. With either camera you can get a Fotodiox adapter with an aperture control on the side (there is also a version without, so make sure you get the correct one) or a Novoflex (again, get the right one). The Novoflexes are more expensive, but their adapters are very well made. The main downside is that although you can change the aperture, you don't know exactly what f-stop you're shooting at, only that it's somewhere between 2.8 and 22. The Nikon to EF adapters are quite thin so a bit fiddly compared to the MFT counterparts, but they both work the same way.

In terms of what camera to buy, it's very subjective. EF will work fine with your Nikons and also gives you the option of using Canon glass with electronic aperture control and IS. The MFT version is more flexible, allowing use of MFT lenses, PL lenses, your Nikons, Canon FDs (and Canon EFs with an electronic adapter), the downside is that you wouldn't get IS.

I'm going for the EF as all my glass is either Nikon, Canon or Olympus OM and they'll all work with the EF mount and I'll have IS which to me is a big deal.

Lots of other will go MFT so they can use other lenses. Depends on what glass you have and what you think you'll end up buying.

Hope this makes some kind of sense.
    Director, occasional DP, nerd
    www.martinscanlan.com

Comment

Many thanks scanner, that's good info! The lack of feedback on the aperture control sounds like it'd take a bit of getting used to... lots of jumping back up to 2.8 then counting the increments I'd imagine?

I'm wondering about focus confirmation - the BMC has a peak focus indicator, but will this work OK on a non - EF lens? Some of the photodiox adapters have a focus confirmation chip which talks to canon bodies - this will probably not work I'm imagining.

Thanks again for the advice.

Comment

Unfortunately the feedback isn't even that good, at least not on my Novoflex Nikon - E mount. All you have is a continually variable dial which is wide open at one end and closed down at the other, anything in between is guesswork. Does make lenses with manual apertures more attractive.

The BMC's focus peaking will be electronically derived by the contrast in the image so it'll work with any lens, focus confirmation chips, however, won't be of any use as I believe they'll only work in cameras with a mirror.
        Director, occasional DP, nerd
        www.martinscanlan.com

Comment

Novoflex make the most expensive, but ultimately best quality adapters I've ever used. I've been through a handful of cheap chinese models, and while some have been OK and good value for money, they're no match for the Novoflex on Nikon mount. I have the mFT > Novoflex G for my Nikon mount collection and it's superb. I also have mFT > FD using Cieco7 (with collar mount) which is also very good.

All my Nikon mounts have aperture rings, except the Tokina 11-16. Can be a bit of a pain if I'm setting to a light meter, so I have to be real careful. The ideal scenario is to have a monitor that supports scopes, or the BMCC plugged into a thunderbolt mac.

Comment

Working...
          X