No announcement yet.

Simple question, Can I use EF-S lenses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple question, Can I use EF-S lenses?

I feel like an idiot asking, I've heard you can use EF-s lenses on the bmcc EF? Just making sure before I pull the trigger ordering a few.

cheers

G

Yes.

Comment

Cheers, thought so.

Comment

BMD won't ever say that EF-S is supported.

I have used several EF-S lenses, and they've worked well.

jb

Comment

The main differences (only) between EF and EF-S is the rear element sticks out a little further, and have APS-C image circles. It makes it cheaper to make wider angle lenses for the smaller APS-C format. You can't use EF-S on a full frame camera: The mirror will slap. However, the mount and therefore the flange depth are identical.

Comment

So does Image Stabalization work on the ef-s lenses on the bmcc? please don't tell me i don't need i.s. I absolutely NEED it. Just had a 3 day shoot saved by it last week. Had a gh2 without i.s. on a 4' slider, had all kinds of jitter when sliding. switched to my Canon 60d with 17-55 i.s. and the same exact shot was perfectly smooth. Tried to fix the non i.s. shots in post and u could see the warping. luckily we only used the non-i.s. for 1 shot which we reshot with I.S.
            If I can get my canon 17-55 with i.s. on the Bmcc then my mind is made up the bmcc is my next camera. I love that lens and seems like a good match for the small sensor of the bmcc.
            cheers,
            jayson
            youtube.com/AWDEfilms

Comment

As far as I've heard, IS doesn't work at all with the current firmware build. But if it will work for EF, it will work with EF-S too. Can't imaging there would be a difference in the IS electronics.

Comment

thx Kyle, so is there any word from Black Magic that future firmware will work with i.s. ?

Comment

IS is due in the next firmware update.

I've seen it working.

jb

Comment

oh damn! that's what i want to hear! thx John! hope it works with ef-s!

Comment

Working...
                    X