Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for wide non-fisheye lens for BMPCC with Speed Booster

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a wide non-fisheye lens to go with my BMPCC and BMPCC specific Speed Booster (the x0.58 version).

I currently have the Sigma 18-35mm F1.8, and love it on my BMPCC with the Speed Booster, but I'm looking to go wider.

What do you guys think of the Tokina 11-16mm F2.8? How's the distortion (which is my main concern)?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated - thanks!
    My Official Blackmagic Micro Footage: https://vimeo.com/155747487

Originally posted by Simon Shasha View Post
    What do you guys think of the Tokina 11-16mm F2.8? How's the distortion (which is my main concern)?
    It's been recommended numerous times.

Originally posted by vicharris View Post
    Yep and for shits and giggles if you want crazy wide pick up a Tokina 11-16. It matches pretty easily and they are darn cheap these days. The SP seems to improve the performance of the Tokina 11-16 on smaller sensors.
    I don't have it but may get it down the road. I'm actually interested in the new Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS. It's slow and needs a five second modification, but it has IS and only costs $300.

Comment

I have the Tokina 11-16 and it's pretty good. They can have infinity focus issues so if you buy one make sure it's from a reputable dealer that you can get it exchanged.

Another option is the Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6. It's slow but the Speed Booster will help here. It's also very sharp.
      Adam Roberts
      www.adamroberts.net

Comment

I've also been enjoying using my old Tokina 12-24 f4 on the BMPCC SB. These can be picked up for around $300 (mk1) to $400 (mk2) used. It's not as fast as the 11-16mm, and doesn't get that extra 1mm (though the extra length can also be handy when you need to grab a quick normal shot but don't have time to switch lenses). No infinity focus problems for me and the lens has a pretty great sweet spot starting around 15mm @ 5.6.

Comment

I picked up a nice Tokina 12-24mm f4 and use it on that model speedbooster. At 12 it's nice and wide with very little barrel distortion at all. I like the added range of 12-24 instead of the 11-16. The Speedbooster balances out the loss of a stop of light from the 11-16's f2.8 to the 12-24's f4. The 12-24 is also about $150 less expensive than the 11-16. You can't get them new anymore as it looks like Tokina stopped making them.

Comment

If you use F-mount also consider the Nikkor 12-24 f/4 Less CA and better contrast than the Tokinas suggested. Or even the 14-24 f2.8, though it's not nearly as wide as a 11 or 12, much bigger, heavier, and more expensive.

Distortion is one thing that reviews are pretty good at measuring objectively. I like http://www.lenstip.com and http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/overview

Comment

Wish I still had my Tok 12-24. That was a damn nice lens for the price, just a tad slow. Sold it way before any boosters ever cam out.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions!

It's definitely down to the Tokina 11-16mm vs 12-24mm. Think I'm leaning more towards the 11-16mm though. Would love the Nikon 12-24, but just can't afford it at the moment.

Hopefully I can take my BMPCC + SB up to a store today and give the Tokina 11-16mm a go
                My Official Blackmagic Micro Footage: https://vimeo.com/155747487

Comment

Those 11-16s go as low as $300 used these days. Buy it from Ebay via Paypal and if it's a dud, you can always return it, no matter what the auction says

Comment

Note that Tokina announced a new 11-20mm f/2.8 at this year's Photokina. However, I haven't seen any reviews or pricing yet.

Comment

I think Kowa Prominar 8.5mm and old Kinoptik Tegea 5.7mm will be the best choices. I have no love with Tokina 11-16, too much moire and soft corners with SB.
                      Last edited by Truemotion; 10-27-2014, 08:17 AM.

Comment

I'd also throw in my lot for the 11-16, even though I should it to a forumite, it served its purpose well, and it can be used with filters too, something that a lot of ultra-wides can't do.

Also, the infinity focus issue was ONLY on the Canon EF BMCC + the canon mount Tokina, as a result of variances in their tolerances. If you're using the nikon Tokina, you'll have no problems.
                        Steve Lee Jean
                        Busan, South Korea + Los Angeles, CA

Comment

We have had 2 - 11-16s. I had Duclos do a partial mod on one of them and then sold the other. Just a great lens.

Comment

I use the 16-35 2.8 L, it's pricey, but nice and wide (at least on the BMPC).

Comment

We also have the the 16-35 2.8L. I have shot them side by side shooting landscapes. Wide open I feel the Tokina is sharper but in real world video usage... it is not enough to matter. The build on the 16-35L is great but for the price the Tokina takes it. I would recommend renting it for a test drive.

Comment

Working...
                              X