SLRMagic Vari ND thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SLRMagic Vari ND thread

Alright, I guess this one's getting out there.

Check John Brawley's thoughts first: https://vimeo.com/johnbrawley/review...581/6ae5f7095b

And here are some stills from URSA and SLRmagic VariND, no IR CUT:

Pay attention to the black coat and clothes, and also the skin. I know these are a bit green (the top two are with old glass that actually does go a little green), but I could easily balance these and I did not get the impression that I had to fight IR at all.... nor a color cast... nor the dread X.

I'm renting URSA again this weekend, and I'm going to take a look at the VariND on the 4K, 2.5K, Pocket, and URSA. There's nothing scientific going on here because I'm shooting but at the very least I'll be able to form a real opinion on it after seeing it on all of the cameras. My first impression was actually "This is too green, and I'm not sure about IR."

JB's thoughts made me try it again, and my second impression was "I think someone might've just convinced me that there is a such thing as a good and useful VariND".

Don't hold me to it, I dislike VariNDs with a passion... but this might finally be the VariND that passes muster (For me).

SKYPE (best way to talk to me): Camera_Kholi | twitter
    Avery and Pete: Superseeds Feature Film Trailer

I have done some outdoor shooting with this as well and can attest to the fact that there is very little if any IR pollution. I'll try to post some results too.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex.Mitchell View Post
      I have done some outdoor shooting with this as well and can attest to the fact that there is very little if any IR pollution. I'll try to post some results too.
      Is that on the BMCC or the pocket or 4k?

I'm currently stuck with the Tiffen IRND's (bought before it was know they were junk on these cameras) and I can't at the moment justify buying a whole set of Hoya's to replace them. So wondering if this Vari ND would be a good purchase until I buy the Hoyas?

Comment

Test this on the pocket pls... Good thing I haven't bought the Tiffen VND yet. BTW how much is this SLR magic VND?

Comment

The UK distributor quotes 149 / €189. This could be the retail price though, so the actual sales prices might possibly be a little lower.
          Haavard Helle

Comment

This looks very promising tho I've not had much issue with the GenusTech Fader.
            Adam Roberts
            www.adamroberts.net

Comment

Genustech fader has a polarizing effect. I use that with the Hoya IR Cut. May give this SLR Magic a try.

Comment

Pre order at B&H for $179 USD. Still cheaper than a Tiffen VND + Hoya IR combo. Hoping it gets good results on the pocket.

Comment

Oh cool BH Photo...will wait for more results/reviews especially on the Pocket Cam before placing an order. I like the convenience of just one filter vs the Genustech/Hoya VariND plus Hoya IR Cut.

Comment

We might have to wait for quite some time. Patience is a virtue.

Comment

I believe Kholi intends to test the filter this weekend when he completes another Sketch (and will have an URSA).

Comment

I'm about to setup a test with my xrite. It won't be extensive:

- variND at minimum and Maximum with without IR
                        - Hoya ProND matched min and max with and without IR
                        - VariND + Hoya ProND to create a stronger VariND with and without IR

On pocket, 2.5K, 4Kprod, and Ursa

Comment

Thank you as always for your extensive tests Kholi! If you're ever in Orange County hit me up, first drink's on me.

Comment

Eep it was actually Hook that did the tests on the Hoyas! I just sniff around for goodies and go by feeling haha. Although in this case, had JB not mentioned the IR thing I probably would've passed on this specific Vari because it does have a green cast up front.

Will update soon.

Comment

2.5K Camera @ 5600K, Sigma 18-35@4/35mm
                              Shutter Angle to adjust for exposure instead of iris.

SLR VariND - MIN - NO IR

SLR VariND - MIN - HOYA IR

SLR VariND - MAX - NO IR

SLR VarinND - MAX - HOYA IR

HOYA4(0.6) - NO IR

HOYA4(0.6) - HOYA IR

HOYA64(1.8) - NO IR

HOYA64(1.8) - HOYA IR

HOYA4 + SLRVariND-MAX + HOYA IR

It took a few tries to get this right, light moving etc., but after seeing these I think I can personally approximate performance on the other cameras.

1. So glad we found Hoya ProNDs.
                              2. SLRMagic + Hoya IR CUT seems ready to go.
                              3. SLRMagic IR Pollution exists, but seems to be pretty minimal in most cases. Should be fine to correct if you're okay with that.
                              4. SLRmagic + Hoya4 + IRCut might work if you need a really strong VariND
                              5. Couldn't detect any sharpness hit with SLRMagic VariND
                              6. SLRMagic VariND color shift isn't massive, especially with IR Cut behind it.

Given that the IR CUT + VariND works out so far, I think the only thing that's really needed is to put a ring behind the SLR VariND for polarization.

Seems like a good alternative to me if you really want to run with a VariND. Still need to explore flare etc. But it's a start.

Minor thought: I think the ProNDs have varying levels of inherent IR Cut from the design, it looks like the 64 cuts more IR than the 4. Makes me wonder about stacking again.

Comment

Working...
                              X