No announcement yet.

SLRMagic Vari ND thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, Kholi. On the BMCC, IR Cut does seem like a good idea with the SLR Magic vari-nd. I look forward to your results shooting the tests with the URSA/BMPC4K sensor to see if the results are identical. To my eye, it does look like the vari-nd is a great option when you want its convenience and 77mm thread size, and only need up to 6 stops of filtration, but put an IR cut between it and the lens. The problem may be trying to find that filter as the world discovers SLR Magic has a winner.

Comment

I cant seem to tell the difference between the Tiffen VND + Hoya IR with the SLR Magic VND + Hoya IR, other than that the later one cost $50 more.

Being optimistic the results would look promising on the Pocket. ProND is still king, not expecting the VNDs out there to beat it nor match it.

Thanks Kholi

Comment

@Kholi. As always, thanks for the test!
        What is your best real-world estimate of the minimum and maximum ND of the SLR Magic VND?

Also, that Hoya4+SLR Magic VND+Hoya IR Cut is substantially blurrier than the others. Was focus off or was there just too much glass in front of the lens?

Comment

Nice test Kholi.

I know some have stated "you don't need IR Cut with the HOYA PROND", this also shows that there is still a benefit of running an IR Cut filter with the HOYA PROND. While the HOYA PROND do a good job of cutting IR it's clear they still let some through.
          Adam Roberts
          www.adamroberts.net

Comment

Thanks for Kholi for the test. Looks like Hoya IR Cut is still relevant, the question is should I replace my Genustech vari ND with the SLR Magic Vari ND?

Comment

Thanks for the tests Kholi. It looks like Hoya IR Cut is a given whether using Hoya Pro ND's or Vari ND's. Wondering the color shift and worth paying extra for the SLR Magic($179) vs the Genustech Eclipse($148) and Hoya Vari ND($135) (All with Hoya IR Cut).

Comment

the SLR Magic with IR Cut looks really good. I think it would be really helpful to see to see a comparison of Genustech vs SLR Magic with IR Cut

Comment

Originally posted by Taikonaut View Post
                  Genustech fader has a polarizing effect. I use that with the Hoya IR Cut. May give this SLR Magic a try.
                  All VariND's have a polarizing effect because they are made of two polarized lenses. After setting your ND you can rotate the whole ND filter assembly to vary the polarization effect (rehouse your IRCut into an old CircPol filter housing).

I am really liking the look of this VariND, SLRMagic is on a roll!

Comment

Originally posted by JuMo View Post
                    All VariND's have a polarizing effect because they are made of two polarized lenses. After setting your ND you can rotate the whole ND filter assembly to vary the polarization effect (rehouse your IRCut into an old CircPol filter housing).

I am really liking the look of this VariND, SLRMagic is on a roll!
                    Not noticing polarizing effect with Heliopan vari ND, I guess that is why it is so expensive.

Comment

Is there a noticeable difference and is that worth the extra $13 from Tiffen to Genustech?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Wake View Post
                        @Kholi. As always, thanks for the test!
                        What is your best real-world estimate of the minimum and maximum ND of the SLR Magic VND?

Also, that Hoya4+SLR Magic VND+Hoya IR Cut is substantially blurrier than the others. Was focus off or was there just too much glass in front of the lens?
                        Hey I wanted to check this out a bit more before I answered. One of my first notes to SLRmagic was this, that it could stand to be both weaker on the minimum end and stronger on the maximum, but I think there's also a matter of quality control. So, it's going to be up to the user. It has proven pretty handy so far, the big test for me's when I get my adapters in and I can finally shoot with the glass that I really want to on URSA.

I will admit that this now pushes me into a renewed interest in Kenko/Hoya's three-hundred dollar VariND. Apparently that was the best on the market at the time but I didn't have enough experience with it (and the rotating filter thing that you showed months ago) to form an opinion.

SKYPE (best way to talk to me): Camera_Kholi | twitter
                        Avery and Pete: Superseeds Feature Film Trailer

Comment

Kholi,

Why the Kenko/Hoya VariND over the SLR Magic? You plan on testing(Kenko) it as well?

Comment

...if I am on a limited budget...what would be the implication of purchasing the tiffen variable ND over the SLRMagic. I had hoped to just buy the SLR magic and no HOYA IR/UV Cut, but I see that isn't the best idea after these tests.

Comment

Originally posted by Connor_R View Post
                              ...if I am on a limited budget...what would be the implication of purchasing the tiffen variable ND over the SLRMagic. I had hoped to just buy the SLR magic and no HOYA IR/UV Cut, but I see that isn't the best idea after these tests.
                              What camera are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by vicharris View Post
                                What camera are you using?
                                Sorry, that would be an obvious detail. Pocket Cam.

Comment

Working...
                                X