Opinions on starter set of lenses for use on Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on starter set of lenses for use on Features

I'll be purchasing the BMCC (MFT Mount) in the next few weeks and have been spending my time trying to pick out a few lenses that I can afford, that will aid me best in shooting a Feature Film the best. I'm debating with either paying out a big sum of money for 1 lens, or giving myself a limit per lens and to have more variety.

One that has peaked my interest is this Samyang 35mm T1.5 which is a fair bit cheaper than a select few other 35mm options.

Here are my questions:
    - Will the above lens fit the MFT mount without an adapter? (I've tried to search for this, but seem to find conflicting results)
    - Will this Novoflex Nikon Adapter allow me to use any Nikon lens (or lens with Nikon mount, such as Sigma) on an MFT Mount BMCC?
    - What other lenses of a similar price range, roughly 400 or less, would you recommend?
    - Should I go for EF mount instead as stick to the 'more common' lenses?

Cheers

No, the lens you linked is a canon (EF) mount lens. You can use that lens with the BMCC, but you will need an EF>M4/3 adaptor.

Yes, that adapter you linked should let you use Nikon glass on your BMCC.
    -Michael Beck

Comment

As it always goes, what's your max budget.
      Steve Lee Jean
      Busan, South Korea + Los Angeles, CA

Comment

I think it's roughly 3000. 1100 for the BMCC, 300ish for the shoulder rig, 400ish for the tripod/tripod head, battery and monitor I have pretty much sorted and then also the SSD cards which I still need to look into best value for money. I'll have roughly 800-1000 for lenses at the moment.

Originally posted by mbeck View Post
        No, the lens you linked is a canon (EF) mount lens. You can use that lens with the BMCC, but you will need an EF>M4/3 adaptor.

Yes, that adapter you linked should let you use Nikon glass on your BMCC.
        Thank you. Will most of the reasonably priced (100-200) EF>MFT adapters work fine? At this stage I can't afford a metabones one.

Comment

Not much of a budget you have there for lenses . So i think the rokinons should do u fine.

Or sigma 18-35 and a rokinon 85. You may need a 50mm though.
          Darren Scott
          Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

Comment

Thanks mate. I'm hoping to hire a DoP who has some lenses he can bring to the production, but for when I'm doing test shots at home I just wanted to have a few lenses that I can become familiar with that I'd actually use on set, and then also test out a few edits in 2:35.1 in my spare time.

Comment

It really depends on what you're shooting and how you want it to look. You can get a nice set of old Russian SLR manual lenses for a few hundred $ and they capture the image in a drastically different way than the Sigma would.

Comment

Sigma 18-35, Sigma 50mm (old version) or Rokinon 85mm plus Metabones normal MFT to Nikon adapter. Looking at 920 euro and you'll have 4 different focal lenghts and be able to shoot at 1.8 if need be with a sharp image. Well, not with the Rokinon but with the Sigmas

Comment

May I ask where you came up with 920 Euros for all of those items please? That seems really cheap for all those items compared to the places I've been looking. Those 3 lenses alone without the metabones were over 1000 and over 1200 Euros where I've been browsing.

Comment

Used. Ebay. Here's dollars but you get the picture. Sigma 18-35, I see it for $800 all day now, even cheaper. Seen it on here for that too. The Sigma 50 1.4 goes for $300 all day. The speedbooster is around $150 or so.

Comment

Unfortunately eBay UK doesn't have as wide a variety when it comes to the metabones adapter, and buying from eBay US just brings me back up to normal pricing due to shipping and customs fees.

Also, just to clarify, it would be the Nikon G to MFT speedbooster, not Nikon F correct?

Comment

Wait, you never mentioned anything about a speedbooster. My numbers were from the standard adapter. It's $160 or so on their site and doesn't it come from Hong Kong?

Comment

Forgive me, I didn't mean that at all, an ebay listing confused me.

What would be the difference between the Novoflex Nikon to MFT adapter and the standard metabones Nikon F to MFT adapter? Other than price of course.
                          Last edited by Toast; 06-16-2014, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Toast View Post
                            Forgive me, I didn't mean that at all, an ebay listing confused me.

What would be the difference between the Novoflex Nikon to MFT adapter and the standard metabones Nikon F to MFT adapter? Other than price of course.
                            The Metabones seem to be made better plus they have numbers that indicate as close to a stop as you can get.

Comment

Ah okay, I see. So you'd recommend this Metabones adapter over this Novoflex adapter?

Comment

Working...
                              X