No announcement yet.

Blackmagic URSA-would this be possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackmagic URSA-would this be possible?

Just had a thought that I wanted to throw out there to see if the more technical members would be able to answer. The Blackmagic URSA is going to have a removable/replaceable sensor, so one could upgrade in the future. Here's my question: is it possible, theoretically, to then also have a ccd sensor and be able to swap a CMOS and ccd sensor as the situation calls for it? Or would there be too many firmware/hardware issues for this to be possible?

It wouldn't be impossible, but it is very unlikely they would go down this road. As I see it, they are just venturing down a similar path to RED allowing sensor upgrade instead of the entire unit—although they may offer the ability to switch between rolling and global shutter mode, on the same sensor. All we know is, they have included more than enough hardware clout to go up a generation or two.

Comment

Although "possible", the sensors are definitely NOT intended to be swapped out in the field like that.

Comment

A 4K 2/3" 3CCD sensor would be a very nice option. Probably won't happen anytime soon if ever. As for firmware abilities, sure it should be possible. I think BMD is making the URSA to be as future proof as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Macalincag View Post
          Although "possible", the sensors are definitely NOT intended to be swapped out in the field like that.
          I bet a third party company will make attachments that'll mount to the sensor part and the URSA body making an intermediate conection to make the sensors quick in the field swappable without wear and tear on the original URSA parts.
          Last edited by Brian@202020; 05-20-2014, 06:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian@202020 View Post
            I bet a third party company will make attachments that'll mount to the sensor part and the URSA body making an intermediate conection to make the sensors quick in the field swappable without wear and tear on the original URSA parts.
            I can't even believe we're actually having a realistic conversation about this, but this is where the tech is heading...

But seriously, that'll totally decrease the register. Then one will need the appropriate 3rd party adapter to fix FFD- in turn creating two more variables that may effect infinity.

I can see see the rolling complaint threads already...

Comment

Originally posted by Brian@202020 View Post
              A 4K 2/3" 3CCD sensor would be a very nice option. Probably won't happen anytime soon if ever. As for firmware abilities, sure it should be possible. I think BMD is making the URSA to be as future proof as possible.
              How would they fit a prism in front of the sensors? Am I missing something?

A 4K Foveon sensor would be more doable, no? Come on Sigma!

Comment

Originally posted by Macalincag View Post
                Why would someone do something like that?
                Would make more sense to swap it, before you go out shooting.

On the other hand, I swapped Red mounts in the field, and shimmed lenses before - doesn't sound totally undoable to me, if you have to (maybe not in the middle of a sandstorm though).

And yeah, I'm waiting for a Foveon video sensor since years too, but I don't think Sigma will do that anytime soon.
                Blog: http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

Comment

The problem is not just the connectors - it is the thermal contact too. The sensor unit should be thought of like a PC CPU. You can swap it out, but you would not do it on a daily basis. I believe you have to apply thermal paste when swapping them out.

You would need to ensure that you properly cleaned the old paste off, applied the correct amount and mounted it securely. Sounds like a bit of hassle- but remember that even other cameras which advertise a similar design require it to be sent off - not done by the user.
                  Tom Majerski
                  Cinematographer / Photographer / CGI Artist / Filmmaker

http://www.TetraGrade.com
                  http://www.imdb.com/name/nm5157752/

Comment

The Sigma DSLRs only have Video Out (NTSC/PAL), so I´m guessing the URSA HDMI version wouldn´t be able to record from it? Im suprised they dont have HDMI output for their price range youd think they have better than NTSC/PAL... A Foveon sensor on the URSA would be pretty cool.

Comment

Seems possible, URSA is being allegedly released with 2 sensor configurations in it's first iteration, the s35 chip and the un-broadcast friendly 13mm chip (why not 2/3rds? eeediots). You probably don't have the space for a proper prism and 3 ccd configuration but there isn't any compelling argument against a single ccd solution.

Comment

Working...
                      X