Received the No-Name BMPCC cage rig.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Received the No-Name BMPCC cage rig.

Seems pretty good so far. Perfect fit, clean finish. The quick release handle is reversible depending on how your rig is weighted. It came with 30cm rails even though I think it was advertised as 20cm, no complaints there, good for future rigging.

Lots of 1/4" tapped holes and some 3/8". There is even a 1/4" tapped hole in the quick release wedge that goes in the riser, so if you pull off the base plate you could go on a monopod or something without the full rail rig. Nice design there.

I don't really like the feel of the grip with the notched in finger guides, a bit too smooth, but I opted not to spend the extra for one of the ones with the wooden handles, so what can I say.

Arrived from China much faster than expected.

My only real complaint is that this quickly evolving knock off keeps getting better. I just noticed a new listing on eBay has the cable clamp screws like the Varavon. Oh well I had figured on having to rig something anyway, and I received what I paid for.

Can you be bit more specific about this rig? Where did you get, price, etc?

Particularly that new listing you mentioned on ebay.

Comment

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-BMPCC-Ca...item35d36a47f1

Here's a link to the new one with the cable clamps. Mine is just like, but without. I'm generally too lazy to post links and pictures so there you go. You can find all of the chinese models via the eBay search bmpcc cage. If I could justify the cost I would have got the movcam, it is so sexy, but I'm happy with the one I got, we'll see how it holds up soon. I've got a feature starting in April.

Comment

Thats the Hontoo cage. I have the same one. Hontoo is the brand, google it and you'll see.

Comment

I got mine earlier this week. Bummer the cable clamps didn't exist then. Anyway I was looking at other companies HDMI locks and the Movcam one is really close. From pictures vicharris sent me, it looks like the Movcan hole pattern is maybe .5mm or less off. There might be enough play in the HDMI lock that'll work, but I'm not buying one unless I test it first.

Comment

Was not aware that it had a particular Brand name, there is none listed in the ad, nor on the packaging or etched on the unit itself. I remember the chuckles over it being called CAME by one of the resellers. Anyway, it seems well built and I'm not disappointed so far, only if I had ordered a week or so later the one with the cable clamps would have been available for the same price, but I was allowing for the latest shipping estimate to have the protection for an upcoming shoot.

Comment

It looks heavy. How much does it weigh?
              http://www.thedreamers.nl/en

Comment

Originally posted by Hugovandijke View Post
                It looks heavy. How much does it weigh?
                Its not too bad. I'd put it on par with the Viewfactor. All cages add weight unfortunately. The only cage I've used that you barely notice it's weight is the Wooden Camera.

Comment

I haven't weighed it, but I would say it increases the naked camera to a comfortable weight, with out rails and top handle, just the cage and body it is still lighter and smaller than most dslr's.

I think a cage of some sort is required to work with larger lenses, you need to structurally tie the top and bottom screws together to safely mount it I think. I was testing the Rokinon cine primes before the cage arrived and they dwarf the camera by some margin. I was only comfortable wedging my tripod plate under the adapter for an extra point of contact. Now I'm not worried about breaking off the tripod insert, and can concentrate on shooting. Still need to put in an order for a rail mount lens support, but that is a minor addition at this point.

Comment

If I didn't have the Movcam setup I would buy this without a doubt.

Comment

vicharris, how much room for play is there with your Movcam HDMI lock? Could it still work if the hole pattern was slightly different? The Hontoo cage is sooo close, but not exact.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian@202020 View Post
                        vicharris, how much room for play is there with your Movcam HDMI lock? Could it still work if the hole pattern was slightly different? The Hontoo cage is sooo close, but not exact.
                        Not much at all man. It's tight as a titty!

Comment

Would you guys rate the Varavon higher than the Tilta cage? Does it basically come down to the wire clamps? Haven't heard about this manufacturer before - what about quality of materials?

Comment

Working...
                          X