zeiss contax 50mm 1.4 vs 1.7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• zeiss contax 50mm 1.4 vs 1.7

geez, i dont know how many times in the past years iver read through post about these lenses…but now im completely confused…just on the 50mm 1.4 vs the 50mm 1.7
    i though everyone says the 1.7 MMJ was the sharpest and best…
    but for some reason the 1.4 versions, especially the AEJ ones are going for a lto more, whats up?

The 1.4 goes for more because it's faster. It's also the formula that was ported to the ZE/ZF.2 1.4 (supposedly). Those are the reasons why I would think.

I have the 50mm 1.4 MMJ. Stopped down it is great and sharp. Wide open it's not terribly sharp- usable but not preferrable. The 1.7 I've heard is sharper wide open.

Comment

interesting, i was just reading another thread and someone was saying the 1.7 has a cheaper build, with a plastic focus ring while the 1.4 is all metal…can you confirm?

Comment

I have the Contax 1.7 and the modern ZF 1.4 and I find the 1.7 is slightly sharper with less CA.
        It is not really too much of a difference though and the 1.4 ZF can focus much closer, which I find useful
        Haavard Helle

Comment

the only reason i dont want to go ZF is because the focus is reversed. but thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by JLdp View Post
            interesting, i was just reading another thread and someone was saying the 1.7 has a cheaper build, with a plastic focus ring while the 1.4 is all metal…can you confirm?
            My 50mm 1.4 is all metal (aside from the focus grip which is rubber, as with all Contax lenses). Also not sure how this compares to the 1.7 but the focus throw is super long- probably the longest in my contax set besides the 85mm 1.4

Comment

My 1.4/50 is the softest Zeiss ZF.2 lens on my ZF kit when wide open but at 2.8 it gets better and from f4 and up it's as good as any Zeiss ZF which is very very good. I've read and heard that 2/50 is the sharpest 50 wide open but I haven't the chance to compare it yet.

Comment

Working...
              X