Active sensor size specs have changed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Deggen View Post
    Perhaps the debayer takes the 2432 x 1366 raw and poops out a 2400 x 1350 usable image... so the anti-aliasing is done by the debayer in resolve? That'd be pretty smart.
    Adobe's Camera Raw converter sees them as 2400 x 1350, as well.
    Randy Walters
    boundlessinformant.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
      no they didnt, they are 2432 x 1366 I just checked my files that I downloaded
      How are you viewing you images?

Perhaps the debayer takes the 2432 x 1366 raw and poops out a 2400 x 1350 usable image... so the anti-aliasing is done by the debayer in resolve? That'd be pretty smart.
      As you can see the single DNG frame files say 2400 x 1350.

Screen Shot 2012-08-22 at 2.31.29 PM.jpg

Comment

Except Grant Petty has said this is straight from the camera before Resolve processing. His comments are on the new Blackmagic Design Forum:
        http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/vi...=15&p=410#p410

Waiting for Blackmagic Design to explain...

Comment

Perhaps the active recording area is actually 2400 x 1350.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian@202020 View Post
            Anyone realize that the RAW file specs have also changed? The RAW Afterglow files are 2400 x 1350 not 2432 x 1366 like the website says they should be.
            Under Resolve it states 2432x1366?

Comment

Originally posted by Brian@202020 View Post
              How are you viewing you images?

As you can see the single DNG frame files say 2400 x 1350.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]665[/ATTACH]
              Using NUKE
              http://valentin-mail.de/4a805

Comment

Originally posted by ianim8 View Post
                Under Resolve it states 2432x1366?
                Not in my copy of Resolve.

Screen Shot 2012-08-22 at 7.08.34 PM.jpg

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
                Using NUKE
                Well Jeff it looks like you and lanim8 seem to be the only 2 who have 2432 x 1366 footage since John already addressed this a few times on this forum and others, and said it has changed to 2400 x 1350.

I would be interested in your nonstandard files tho. You should post a few stills for us.

Comment

So I had a brief chat with the BMD fellows this morning.

My non-engineer understanding is that the full active image is THERE, but the pixels at the edges get discarded because of the way debayering works (to get full value pixels re-created).

So it's there, but kind of hidden and not useful. The end result is a really nice re-scale to 1920.

jb

Comment

Kristian Lam of BM explained it on the BM forums:

The RAW bayered image size is 2432 x 1366 which gets debayered to 2400 x 1350. There is a slight crop to get rid of the edges of the image because when you are debayering, the very boundary of the frame will not have enough surrounding information to be accurately debayered and will need to be discarded. This is a pretty standard procedure for debayering images.

The DNG has a DefaultCropSize tag which is explained as:

Raw images often store extra pixels around the edges of the final image. These extra pixels help prevent interpolation artifacts near the edges of the final image.
                    DefaultCropSize specifies the size of the final image area, in raw image coordinates (i.e., before the DefaultScale has been applied).

Comment

Originally posted by Yuns View Post
                      Its great to actually hear from black magic people! Before last night we would have argued this for a week and come up with 100 conspiracy theories!
                      -Michael Beck

Comment

Originally posted by mbeck View Post
                        Its great to actually hear from black magic people! Before last night we would have argued this for a week and come up with 100 conspiracy theories!
                        Let's hope they don't get distracted browsing forums and forget what they're meant to be doing !

jb

Comment

Originally posted by Yuns View Post
                          Thanks for posting that up. That explains the whole smaller 'active' sensor size I've always read about but have never understood.

Comment

Working...
                          X