Slow motion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow motion

So I understand that this camera does not shoot slow motion, but are there any tips for shooting for slow motion that you plan on applying in post? I plan on shooting my stuff in 24p normal speed. If I wanted to make a shot look 48p slow motion (50 percent in post), what is the best frame rate and shutter speed to shoot at with this camera?

Originally posted by Thefilmaddict View Post
    So I understand that this camera does not shoot slow motion, but are there any tips for shooting for slow motion that you plan on applying in post? I plan on shooting my stuff in 24p normal speed. If I wanted to make a shot look 48p slow motion (50 percent in post), what is the best frame rate and shutter speed to shoot at with this camera?
    For us we use the RED MX and still had to test out different frame rates per shot.
    We didnt test using Action Sports just basic movements e.g. door swings for vertical line issues and items dropping for motion blur artifacts.
    We still havent found a perfect number even though we can go as high as 120fps under 2K but our tests was to go higher in res.
    Now comes the other factor, the post app e.g. After Effects, Avid, Final Cut and plug-ins.
    I dont have the experience as far as shutters go (newbie here) but so far so good with the shots we tested.

Comment

This is from another post.- There is a limited work around however. If you want to shoot 60fps set it to 30ps and set the shutter speed to be what it would be if you were to shoot at the desired speed. Then use after effects to slow the motion down. The faster shutter speed reduces the the motion blur you would get at 24fps giving a more effective effect. Again, it is a limited work around. I would not move the camera around a lot though.

Comment

Crank the shutter as high as you can. Always use a frame rate that's half of your intended end frame rate. if you want 48, use 24. 60, use 30. etc...

Use Twixtor for the slow motion. For a 50% retiming using a high shutter speed you should be OK for 80% of things.
        If the results are crappy, try interlacing the footage. ie, creating 50i from 25p. Then you can de-interlace that footage to 50% speed. You'll lose a bit of res but it should get rid of artefacts.

Comment

shoot at 1/96 or higher to lessen motion blur and define edges better.
          Make sure the subjects are well exposed with nice contrast.
          Deep depth of field if subject is close.
          Try to get your action as clean and slow as possible when shooting it.
          Stabilise camera.
          Shoot at the highest frame-rate possible (30fps for an intended 24fps project) all frames are welcome at this point.

Get hold of Reel Smart Motion Blur for After Effects (this has a motion vector format where you can specify what blurs and how much).
          Use Time Remapping in After Effects (or Twixtor) use frame blending set to Pixel Motion.

It is best to do once a bit then precomp it and do it again, rather than push it all at once if good really high speed. But for 48fps you should be fine doing it just once.

TEST TEST TEST TEST TEST.
          Last edited by Tim Hole; 08-12-2012, 06:48 PM.

Comment

It still isn't going to look near as good as 60p. I would just get a B-cam that shoots 60p just for slow motion shots. If you plan on doing a lot of slow motion then I would look for a different camera unless they surprise everybody and push out 60p with the BMC. Sure you can do all the tweaks in software but it can be very frustrating when you think a shot might look good only to find twixtor just makes it look strange instead of clean. When you go software you are limiting your usable footage and setups. Just my opinion.
            www.burningcrowpictures.com

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Demeere View Post
              It still isn't going to look near as good as 60p. I would just get a B-cam that shoots 60p just for slow motion shots. If you plan on doing a lot of slow motion then I would look for a different camera unless they surprise everybody and push out 60p with the BMC. Sure you can do all the tweaks in software but it can be very frustrating when you think a shot might look good only to find twixtor just makes it look strange instead of clean. When you go software you are limiting your usable footage and setups. Just my opinion.
              I agree. I specified a decent work around that can work, but if you know before hand what you intend to do the points I set out will give the best chance of getting a clean image. A relatively cheap work around would be, a GH2 720/60p and then use Red Giant's Instant HD. It would yield better results. Having a GH2 as a back up camera is great anyway. Or just having one for location scouting, B-cam, BTS shooting etc...and then use it for the odd slo-mo shot. Definitely worth 550...and when the GH3 is released it will be even cheaper.

For those not aware of the qualities of the GH2, the good thing about it (aside from it just being a spectacular camera) is its sharpness, when hacked it records i-frames similar to the AVC-Intra codec. But more importantly it is a m4/3 image sensor which is close the BMCC so it will have similar visual characteristics and will likely cut quite nicely into your BMCC footage.

GH2 720/60p slowed down in post.

Example of Instant HD
              Last edited by Tim Hole; 08-13-2012, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Thankyou Tim Hole.
                While the GH2 has lots of deatils your GH2 footage above shows exactly what I also don't like about the GH2. Highlight clipping and poor consumer standard DR. The lack of tonality rules it out as a B camera in most cases involving brightly lit scenery.

Comment

I thought I would mention a free alternative to Twixtor, for anyone interested in experimenting with software slow motion without spending the money on Twixtor. This is free open source software that I have read compares favorably with Twixtor. The only downside is it doesn't work as a plug-in to your favorite software like Twixtor does, but it could still be useful for testing the quality of this effect on your footage.

They just recently released a Windows version, so it is now available for both Linux and Windows.

http://slowmovideo.granjow.net/

Comment

Originally posted by Taikonaut View Post
                    Thankyou Tim Hole.
                    While the GH2 has lots of deatils your GH2 footage above shows exactly what I also don't like about the GH2. Highlight clipping and poor consumer standard DR. The lack of tonality rules it out as a B camera in most cases involving brightly lit scenery.
                    As the footage isn't mine I can't comment on the settings but does your opinion on the GH2 come from experience using one or from test footage you have seen? If you expose correctly the latitude of the camera is perfectly adequate. As with all digital cameras you should expose to the left. A hacked GH2 allows us to pull more detail from the shadows but the downfall of digital is highlights. There is no smooth fall-off like with film. With all 8-bit medium it is the same issue consumer/prosumer/pro. I have successfully cut GH2 footage with RED footage on more than one occasion and for corporate gigs it worked perfectly fine. Control your environment or control your camera.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Hole View Post
                      Control your environment or control your camera.
                      Exactly. It's very obvious that the above video either has something baked in in-camera, or graded like that in post. That's if you know the camera and its capabilities. And to know that requires hours of your own testing, or very careful and considered research.

If you can't get good results out of a GH2...you're not using it properly. The same will be with the BMC. And the same dismissals will happen based on one over cranked Internet video. The rest of us will carry on enjoying using them and getting great results

Comment

Back to slow motion. Detail and sharpness is your friend when using Twixtor or Instant HD. As others have suggested, crank your shutter as high as you want to slow it down. Obviously a good starting point is beneficial, i.e. 60p. Cheaper options are GH2 as discussed at 720p (rivals detail of most other DSLRs at 1080) or FS100 at 1080/60. Or, for no compromise get a FS700 on rental.

Comment

Very soon, you'll be able to get the Lumix LX7 compact camera which will offer 720p120(!), and at a very reasonable price (in video terms), 120fps opens up possibilities with software like Twixtor, that you can't even dream of with just 24/30/60p.

I don't think it's really that big a deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Grug View Post
                            Very soon, you'll be able to get the Lumix LX7 compact camera which will offer 720p120(!), and at a very reasonable price (in video terms), 120fps opens up possibilities with software like Twixtor, that you can't even dream of with just 24/30/60p.

thats a great option for some but I didnt order a BMDCC to slow down any of my ideas

Comment

Originally posted by Grug View Post

I have high hopes for the GH3 but something tells me that compact cameras capable of 120fps, whilst good for us will slowly clog up vimeo and Youtube with pointless slomotion resulting in people being reluctant to use it properly and it will fall out of favour. Which will ooze out into the festival world and the Indie film world at large. Great for sports and music videos though for the odd shot....if it doesnt have too many restrictions. Be nice if the lot over at Personal-view managed to dig out a high BR for it.

More tools to add to the arsenal. 96fps is a very nice speed....

Comment

Working...
                              X