Newly updated SSD list 9/16/13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vealti View Post
    According to the FAQ site linked to earlier some of the drives listed in the original post are discontinued. And wasn't the OCZ Vertex 3 drives officially dropped a while ago?

The following SSDs are either discontinued or only supported as part of a legacy configuration and may no longer be available with the required firmware:
    Crucial 256GB C300 (CTFDDAC256MAG-1G1) - (discontinued)
    Kingston 64GB SSDNow V+100 (SVP100S2/64G) - (discontinued)
    Kingston 128GB SSDNow V+100 (SVP100S2/128G) - (discontinued)
    Kingston 512GB SSDNow V+100 (SVP100S2/512G) - (discontinued)
    Kingston 120GB SSDNow V+200 (SVP200S3/120G) - (discontinued)
    Kingston 240GB SSDNow V+200 (SVP200S3/240G) - (discontinued)
    Kingston HyperX 240GB (SH100S3/240G) - (discontinued)
    OCZ 240GB Vertex 3 (VTX3-25SAT3-240G) - (discontinued)
    OCZ 480GB Vertex 3 (VTX3-25SAT3-480G) - (discontinued)
    OCZ 240GB Deneva 2 (firmware 2.22) (D2CSTK251M21-0240) - (discontinued)
    OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G SSD (firmware 5.0.2) (OWCSSDMX6G240T) - (discontinued)
    All these discontinued drives make me think this list isn't very helpful.

Comment

Thanks. Didn't read that closely enough.

Comment

I spoke with tech support yesterday. Apparently they are aware of the drives being discontinued and are continuing to test the new models or firmware revisions. No timeline given on when to expect more updates.

Comment

I wonder if BM understands how off-putting this issue is to potential buyers. Most of the drives on the list right now are discontinued or otherwise not readily available. One of the few that are available has a massive QC issue going on inside the Amazon reviews. Literally the only drive I can find available for purchase without issue is the Digistor which is $499. This really makes me question the viability of this camera -- it is dependent on a commodity that is largely not available right now.

I actually am on the fence between Red and BM, and the use of commodity parts was something that I thought was a feature of BM. I now look at it as a liability. While the RedMags are expensive, they are available and there are no qualifiers around their purchase or use.

Originally posted by AlmaVideo View Post
          I spoke with tech support yesterday. Apparently they are aware of the drives being discontinued and are continuing to test the new models or firmware revisions. No timeline given on when to expect more updates.

Comment

Originally posted by mountaineer View Post
            ... Literally the only drive I can find available for purchase without issue is the Digistor which is $499. This really makes me question the viability of this camera...
            Understand the concern, but since you have the option available to you, settle on the Digistor then and be happy!

Comment

Originally posted by rick.lang View Post
              Understand the concern, but since you have the option available to you, settle on the Digistor then and be happy!
              Because what happens when the Digistor is not available? If there are no SSDs available then this cam is dead in the water. I would like to look at the SSDs somewhat as consumables, but if they are this hard to find they can't be consumed readily.

I actually am wondering if this is not what might be holding up the 4K. The data demands are higher obviously and maybe there are no drives that are up to the task. I'm not certain that the SSD list is languishing just because nobody is looking at it -- maybe there are no other drives that can be used.

Comment

Get the OWC SSD's, very good reputation. I just contacted them their 240GB and 480GB SSD's have no compatibility issues.

Comment

Originally posted by mountaineer View Post
                  ... I actually am wondering if this is not what might be holding up the 4K. The data demands are higher obviously and maybe there are no drives that are up to the task. I'm not certain that the SSD list is languishing just because nobody is looking at it -- maybe there are no other drives that can be used.
                  I don't think the data demands are holding up the BMPC4K. We do not expect the camera to ship initially with raw, only ProRes 4:2:2 HQ which I believe has a data rate of 884 Mb/s or less than 111 MB/s which is well within range of the existing cards. Also the raw will be compressed, likely by a 2.5x factor, to match the data rate of the uncompressed raw on the BMCC.

By the way, if you do decide to go with the Digistor SSDs on a Blackmagic camera, but are concerned about the California company folding and so on, perhaps buy an extra device or two as insurance. To me, it is reassuring when you know that BMD used only Digistor SSDs in all the appropriate cameras shown at NAB2013 for example. That's a great endorsement and I don't know of any other SSD that is advertised as tested on the actual cameras. They do cost a little more than some of the other SSDs, but if they do work well, that peace of mind is worth it. As you know any SSD failure costs far more than anything you would save buying cheaper media. Good luck with your analysis of RED versus BMD.

Comment

Working...
                  X