Tempted to get the 2.5k EF BMCC now..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tempted to get the 2.5k EF BMCC now..

To start with, currently I use the Canon C100. I do a bunch of event work but have a few big narrative projects on the horizon and was hoping to get my hands on the 4K blackmagic for them.

However, I seem to have just performed a mental 180 and am seriously considering the blackmagic 2.5k EF mount camera now.

Here are my reasons, I'd love to hear what people think!

1. 13 Stops of DR is big
    2. Extra stop at least of ISO sensitivity
    3. LENSES. I currently have the tokina 11-16mm and the Sigma 18-35mm on my C100 and they would transform into amazing lenses on the bmcc. Giving me a 25-37mm 2.8 and a 41-80mm 1.8. That sigma really is the game changer for me.

Over the pocket camera I think the audio inputs, SDI, 2.5k RAW 2.3x crop and SSD storage are all big features.

I mightve considered the MFT version if not for the lack of an active mount. Am I wrong in going for the "old" blackmagic camera now? On the cusp of a bunch of new releases?

Not wrong at all. I'm continually blown away by my EF BMCC, and paired with the Pocket cam, I'll be in great shape for a very wide range of shooting situations. And there is the now-famous comment by JB that he prefers the higher dynamic range of the BMCC over the increased resolution of the BMPC4K.
    Randy Walters
    boundlessinformant.com

Comment

Get it, it's fantastic. the more I use it, the more I learn. It's by far the best damn camera I've ever owned.

Comment

Either one of the cameras will get you great results. To be honest, go with what you think will suite you best. Don't listen to this garbage about your film being out of date because it's not 4K. If you make a good enough movie, no one will care what the resolution is. Also, does this mean that every movie shot on the Alexa is now out of date? No, so don't worry about the hype and get what suites you best. If Hollywood is still shooting HD/or approx 2.5K or 2.8K, then you have nothing to worry about.

Fruitvale Station was shot on Super 16 as a choice, and many of the hype-monsters say that format is out of date. Don't worry, just get what you think will work best for you when you need it.
        Paul Del Vecchio - Director/Producer
        http://www.PaulDV.net
        https://vimeo.com/channels/directorpauldv
        http://www.youtube.com/user/pdelvecchio814
        http://www.twitter.com/pauldv

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Paul-...io/58731646898

Comment

Originally posted by pgeorges View Post
          ... I currently have the tokina 11-16mm and the Sigma 18-35mm on my C100 and they would transform into amazing lenses on the bmcc. Giving me a 25-37mm 2.8 and a 41-80mm 1.8. That sigma really is the game changer for me... I mightve considered the MFT version if not for the lack of an active mount. Am I wrong in going for the "old" blackmagic camera now? On the cusp of a bunch of new releases?
          Seems there are no wrong answers in selecting any of the four cameras. Just one last thing to consider regarding the BMPCC active MFT option: add the EF/MFT Speed Booster coming soon and you will have the same sensitivity and dynamic range and gain one stop aperture and have a range of focal lengths equivalent to full-frame views from 22.5mm to 72mm with the Speed Booster and 32mm to 101mm without Speed Booster. Just the Sigma 18-35mm becomes 37mm to 72mm with Speed Booster and 52mm to 101mm without Speed Booster. Those ranges may suit your needs as long as you like the HD output from the camera.

Comment

Hi pgeorges, I went with the ef bmcc after I decided to cancel my pocket camera order, and I made the right choice. The camera is great, and the image quality is outstanding. The raw 2.5k is spectacular, but prores is surprisingly good as well. Very sharp and detailed image. The 13 stops is fantastic, and its not too bad in low light either. Your lenses will be great with this camera. Of course there's the much talked about things to consider before buying, like external batteries, enough hdd space for backup, some kind of anti reflective screen protected or external monitor. But if you're aware of some of these going in, then you can make the best decision. I figured all these things we're needed for me even if I bought something else, because nothing is really proprietary, you can use these things with any camera system. Hope this helps.
            Blackmagic Cinema Camera EF

Comment

Originally posted by rick.lang View Post
              Seems there are no wrong answers in selecting any of the four cameras. Just one last thing to consider regarding the BMPCC active MFT option: add the EF/MFT Speed Booster coming soon and you will have the same sensitivity and dynamic range and gain one stop aperture and have a range of focal lengths equivalent to full-frame views from 22.5mm to 72mm with the Speed Booster and 32mm to 101mm without Speed Booster. Just the Sigma 18-35mm becomes 37mm to 72mm with Speed Booster and 52mm to 101mm without Speed Booster. Those ranges may suit your needs as long as you like the HD output from the camera.
              The perfect setup would have to be a BMCC with active MFT but that doesn't exist (i'm sure as soon as I buy an EF mount version it will come out)! I'm not sure I want to give up having the ability to shoot in 2.5k even if most of the time I'll be using 1080p prores.

The big question I have however is how does the rolling shutter hold up when doing a borne like fight scene using a shoulder rig? That's going to be a big part of my next two short films.

Comment

Originally posted by pgeorges View Post
                The perfect setup would have to be a BMCC with active MFT but that doesn't exist (i'm sure as soon as I buy an EF mount version it will come out)! I'm not sure I want to give up having the ability to shoot in 2.5k even if most of the time I'll be using 1080p prores.

The big question I have however is how does the rolling shutter hold up when doing a borne like fight scene using a shoulder rig? That's going to be a big part of my next two short films.
                That depends on how much you're whipping the camera around. On a shoulder rig, it'll get rid of the micro wobble jello but it won't get rid of the rolling shutter tilt on fast pans. It also depends on the zoom you're at as well. If that's a big issue, get the 4K if you can wait an unspecified amount of time (depending when they actually ship and where you are in the queue with your reseller).
                Paul Del Vecchio - Director/Producer
                http://www.PaulDV.net
                https://vimeo.com/channels/directorpauldv
                http://www.youtube.com/user/pdelvecchio814
                http://www.twitter.com/pauldv

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Paul-...io/58731646898

Comment

Originally posted by David_ View Post
                  Hi pgeorges, I went with the ef bmcc after I decided to cancel my pocket camera order, and I made the right choice. The camera is great, and the image quality is outstanding. The raw 2.5k is spectacular, but prores is surprisingly good as well. Very sharp and detailed image. The 13 stops is fantastic, and its not too bad in low light either. Your lenses will be great with this camera. Of course there's the much talked about things to consider before buying, like external batteries, enough hdd space for backup, some kind of anti reflective screen protected or external monitor. But if you're aware of some of these going in, then you can make the best decision. I figured all these things we're needed for me even if I bought something else, because nothing is really proprietary, you can use these things with any camera system. Hope this helps.
                  I was planning on investing in a c-shooter type shoulder rig with an EVF for my C100 anyway so I'll already be part way there with the rig!

Comment

If you can wait, it might make sense to see how the 4K camera performs. Although it may have less sensitivity per pixel, the sensor is 2.56X times larger which may help combat the lower per-pixel sensitivity. Also if you are shooting wide, it is easier to get a fast wide angle. For example 24mm F1.4 on the 4K vs 15mm F2.8 on the 2.5K. We just don't know until we see it.

I will say that the 4K will likely have less aliasing and moire (when viewed at comparable output sizes) simple due to having over twice as many pixels.

Comment

Originally posted by Pultzar2 View Post
                      If you can wait, it might make sense to see how the 4K camera performs. Although it may have less sensitivity per pixel, the sensor is 2.56X times larger which may help combat the lower per-pixel sensitivity. Also if you are shooting wide, it is easier to get a fast wide angle. For example 24mm F1.4 on the 4K vs 15mm F2.8 on the 2.5K. We just don't know until we see it.

I will say that the 4K will likely have less aliasing and moire (when viewed at comparable output sizes) simple due to having over twice as many pixels.
                      Wide lenses has never been a problem, especially now with Speed Booster. Also no matter what they do with the 4K camera it will have less dynamic range and less iso sensitivity, that to me is more important especially dynamic range. 2.5k Raw is beautiful, no need to worry at all.

Comment

Haha... I almost made this exact same thread earlier today.

I think I've decided to go with an MFT and the nikon speed booster. For me personally, the dynamic range is more important and I already love the image coming out of the camera. My clients and the people watching the footage 99% of the time won't be able to tell the difference between rolling shutter and global shutter. I have no need for 4k. And lastly, who knows when the 4k will actually come out. I need a camera now and I love the image that the camera puts out. I can always sell and pick up the 4k whenever it's in stock if I really need it.

I figure with the speed booster I get pretty damn close to the S35mm FOV and get an extra stop out of my lenses.

Comment

WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The BM4K is going to be a killer (I hope). I'd prefer 4K and 11.5 stops, s35 and global shutter than 2.5K 13 stops.

Do you like the look of the Canon 1DC and Red One footage? They're 4K 11-11.5 stops, but no GS and the 1DC codec is a PITA for editing. Hoping for something similar with the BM4K.

Comment

I prefer to control my light anyway. That one stop isn't a dealbreaker for me.
                            Guess I'll wait some more and hope that it's going to be at least as good as
                            the other cameras, Hopefully it will have some more fps too.

Comment

Really soon I'm going to write my one year summary on BV1... I guess the short version of it is that I'm really interested in both BPC and B4K -- BV1 is probably the most "me" camera I've ever had the pleasure of using, and owning. It's got a kink or two for sure, the more I learn about it and obsess over the details, the better it gets.

Sensor size, DR, Color, and if we're comparing it to other cameras outside of BMD's cinema ecosystem, the flexibility of formats and inexpensive media really just kind of do it for me. Not to mention there are very different looks you can pull from the camera just by changing one or two areas in your process.

Me thinks if you're one of the DVX100, 35mm Adapter enthusiasts from years ago, you're likely going to feel the same way that I do about it. It's hard to recommend it to EVERYONE, mostly because of moire (Sorry... I tried to stray away from mentioning it lol), if you're out for the best image at 10K and under, I sincerely think this is it. Especially once mosaic fixes the moire for us. Both BPC and B4K will be killer, can't wait to finally get my hands on both sometime soon...

But, BV1-MFT is where it's at.

SKYPE (best way to talk to me): Camera_Kholi | twitter
                              Avery and Pete: Superseeds Feature Film Trailer

Comment

Working...
                              X