Are IRND's stackable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are IRND's stackable?

I just did my first shoot on the weekend with a rented bare bones EF kit. The available filter kit was the Schneider Platinum .3 - 1.2. I was surprised to find that these don't have front threads. I was lucky that most of the day was staged under forrest canopy and only needed .6 or .9 to get to a healthy 5.6 - 8 stop that I like for day exteriors. But I did some quick tests in full sun and with 1.2 I would be at f22 to avoid highlight clipping.

Do the tiffen's have front threads, or do you put standard ND's under the 1.2, or must you really carry the full kit up to 2.1 instead of stacking 2 to get the same result.

Glass filters used in Matteboxes can be stacked. I've no idea about screw-in types.

Comment

Thanks for the obvious answer, I'm referring to 77mm round threaded filters. Is there something about the IR filtration at each strength that makes it advisable to not stack them, or do they just want you to buy full sets.

Comment

Originally posted by dop16mm View Post
        Do the tiffen's have front threads, or do you put standard ND's under the 1.2, or must you really carry the full kit up to 2.1 instead of stacking 2 to get the same result.
        The 77mm Tiffen 1.8 IRND I own has front threads.

Comment

Originally posted by dop16mm View Post
          Thanks for the obvious answer, I'm referring to 77mm round threaded filters. Is there something about the IR filtration at each strength that makes it advisable to not stack them, or do they just want you to buy full sets.
          I don't know about stacking screw on filters, I;ve only done it with 4x4 or 4x5.65 with a mattebox, and with a separate ND and IR filter, or diffusion, never 2 x IR's on top of each other. I dont; think stacking a 0.3 and a 1.8 would give you the same effect as 1 x 2.1 IRND. Whenever filters are stacked there is always a chance of light bouncing around between them

Comment

Never put an IRND behind any other filter, it should always bee furthest from the lens. You only need one irnd filter stack as much nd as you want behind it

Comment

Hmm that's a bit unfortunate. So my understanding is double IRND creates a negative color shift?

Comment

I've heard its not advisable to stack IR ND. Not sure why. Normal ND is fine. I used to stack my normal Tiffen screw ins all the time (never more than 2). I have .6, .9, 1.2. And stack when needed. However from I got my Heliopan my Tiffens are my back up ND now.
                Darren Scott
                Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

Comment

I don't know where you guys get your info from?

ND and NDIR filters can be stacked and will give the same number of stops in combination as a single filter of the same density.

Stacked filters can introduce reflections which can lead to ghosting and flaring, however good quality ones have very good AR coating which all but eliminates this. Similarly, colour shift is also far better these days and filters tend to be more neutral than ever.

From Schneider's own website:

"Schneider Platinum Series IRND filters are free of off-axis color shift regardless of the focal length and can be stacked without introducing reflections common in dichroic filters."

As for having the ND filter at the front at all times. I don't know where you've got that info from, or why you'd need to?

Comment

Just my experience but I stacked a Tiffen regular ND (.6 I think) behind a White Water 1.8 and I did not like what came out, it looked very 'muddy' for lack of a better description. Has anyone else seen this?

Comment

Originally posted by MelbFilm View Post
                      Just my experience but I stacked a Tiffen regular ND (.6 I think) behind a White Water 1.8 and I did not like what came out, it looked very 'muddy' for lack of a better description. Has anyone else seen this?
                      Were either of the filters IRND or did you use a separate IR filter? Not all Water Whites are IRND and the muddiness sounds like it could be IR pollution - hard to say without seeing one of your shots though

Comment

Originally posted by markmwilliams View Post
                        Were either of the filters IRND or did you use a separate IR filter? Not all Water Whites are IRND and the muddiness sounds like it could be IR pollution - hard to say without seeing one of your shots though
                        The White Water has an IR filter the .6 does not.

Comment

The Schneider Platinum's that I used did not have front filter threads and therefore could not be stacked with-in the set. Just checking if the same was true of the Tiffen set. I would think you should be able to safely get from .3 - 2.1 in the 4 filter set stacking no more than 2. Certainly a single level of filter is always going to be better.

Comment

Working...
                          X