Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

17 Days...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Andrew Gupta View Post
    Respectfully, these Blackmagic cameras in no way qualify as "mass market" products and any comparison to Apple is, well, creative.

    These are very targeted, niche products. "Mass market" consumer electronics are items that twelve year old girls and sixty year old men use. There are one or two or three "soccer moms" on earth who are waiting to shoot their kids in 10 bit, 4:2:2, 220Mbps Prores HQ. (in other words -- they're not competing with Canon)

    The point here being -- that if you look at the big picture -- the demand for these cameras is somewhere in the thousands -- world wide. Blackmagic doesn't need to deliver fifty thousand by the end of July. Best case scenario is about five thousand, and the pre-orders are probably south of two thousand. Yes the forum guys and the various communities are excited and worked up -- but to the vast majority of the world "blackmagic" relates to voodoo.

    Finally, that Blackmagic hasn't announced any kind of delay at this point leads me to suspect they may be in the ballpark of meeting demand. If they are months behind and haven't made any announcement relating to that by July 19th, well, I'd need to use "****" signs to cover up the actual words their management deserves.
    My neighbor is getting a BMPCC to film his sons little league games. He's an accountant. Personally I think the BMPCC will end up being a mass market product. BMD's other camera's and product's, no way.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Brian@202020 View Post
      My neighbor is getting a BMPCC to film his sons little league games.
      As people should. End the days of 1440x1080 (calling it 1080p) 60i Sony Handycam footage please!
      Last edited by wreck2; 07-19-2013, 09:47 AM.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Brian@202020 View Post
        My neighbor is getting a BMPCC to film his sons little league games. He's an accountant. Personally I think the BMPCC will end up being a mass market product. BMD's other camera's and product's, no way.
        I wonder how well the BMPCC will satisfy the expectations of soccer moms. When they run into media costs, editing requirements, etc., I expect most will revisit the camcorder isle at Best Buy and rue the day they dropped a thousand dollars on a Pocket Cam. Or they might just stick with their cell phones...my Galaxie Note2 takes pretty good video (if you don't mind hostage videos).
        Last edited by mhood; 07-19-2013, 09:49 AM.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by mhood View Post
          I wonder how well the BMPCC will satisfy the expectations of soccer moms. When they run into media costs, editing requirements, etc., I expect most will revisit the camcorder isle at Best Buy and rue the day they dropped a thousand dollars on a Pocket Cam. Or they might just stick with their cell phones...my Galaxie Note2 takes pretty good video (if you don't mind hostage videos).
          I agree. If the BMPCC gets a "publish directly to Facebook / YouTube" option, then it might appeal to soccer moms.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Brian@202020 View Post
            My neighbor is getting a BMPCC to film his sons little league games. He's an accountant. Personally I think the BMPCC will end up being a mass market product. BMD's other camera's and product's, no way.
            Lack of a power zoom lens will make him get something else to record games with. I use a Sony DSC-HX9V for family stuff. It is hard to use
            in bright sunlight, as will the BMPCC without an external viewfinder. We usually hook up the camera and watch stuff once and then
            format the card and do it again. I use to spend time editing stuff like that but no one gave a shat…..

            Comment


            • Originally posted by mhood View Post
              I wonder how well the BMPCC will satisfy the expectations of soccer moms. When they run into media costs, editing requirements, etc., I expect most will revisit the camcorder isle at Best Buy and rue the day they dropped a thousand dollars on a Pocket Cam. Or they might just stick with their cell phones...my Galaxie Note2 takes pretty good video (if you don't mind hostage videos).
              Well this is the neighbor of mine that prefers quality over ease. Last year he filmed some little league game with a Super8 camera. Can you see why me and him get along?

              Originally posted by Mike Schrengohst View Post
              Lack of a power zoom lens will make him get something else to record games with. I use a Sony DSC-HX9V for family stuff. It is hard to use
              in bright sunlight, as will the BMPCC without an external viewfinder. We usually hook up the camera and watch stuff once and then
              format the card and do it again. I use to spend time editing stuff like that but no one gave a shat…..
              Last I heard the Panasonic Power Zoom lenses don't work on the BMPCC, but when/if they ever do work the BMPCC will be even more likely to be liked by the masses.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Brian@202020 View Post
                Well this is the neighbor of mine that prefers quality over ease. Last year he filmed some little league game with a Super8 camera. Can you see why me and him get along?
                I like him already and I don't even know him.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Hearnia View Post
                  I'm looking for a new financial planner / accountant. Are you available?
                  Sure. But yeah I saved 1000 bucks, All my bills came in this week.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Andrew Reid View Post
                    If there are significant delays this time, I think Blackmagic need to reassess the camera program and the way it is marketed. These cameras are sold as mass market products, the pricing attests to that and that is the great thing about Blackmagic. They're very much in the Apple mould of wanting to bring technology to a broad audience. The problem is, despite all their best intentions this isn't happening.
                    Why on earth do people keep comparing BM to apple? This just makes no sense. BM have more in common with Samsung! They are bringing quality products to market at a price point that few can compete with, not marketing the crap out of something that often more about how it looks than how it functions, using someone elses ideas then selling it at a pricepoint in excess of your competitors.

                    Comment


                    • Yeah, I have told clients I cannot do anymore work for them until my BMCC pocket comes in.
                      So far I have turned down about 20K of work. I just cannot bring myself to pick up my old
                      crappy cameras any longer…… /sarc

                      Comment


                      • I send out a formal written apology with every invoice for using my C100...but I do cash the checks.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by mhood View Post
                          I send out a formal written apology with every invoice for using my C100...but I do cash the checks.
                          I would send out an apology as well. That macro blocking from the C100 compression is a real deal breaker.
                          Last edited by alex1; 07-19-2013, 01:50 PM.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by alex1 View Post
                            I would send out an apology as well. That macro blocking from the C100 compression is a real deal breaker.
                            Thank God my clients haven't noticed. They actually love the AVCHD...Who'da thunk?
                            Last edited by mhood; 07-19-2013, 02:09 PM.

                            Comment


                            • Just got word from someone who ordered from AVShop in Canada - he just got confirmation that they've got their shipment in. So I guess there will be at least some quantities shipping next week!

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by RubenKremer View Post
                                Just got word from someone who ordered from AVShop in Canada - he just got confirmation that they've got their shipment in. So I guess there will be at least some quantities shipping next week!
                                Shipment of both BMPCC and BMPC4K cameras?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X