Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Group Buys

Hi all,

Our lens project is currently in hiatus at present so I thought it might be an appropriate time to push out another idea.

The guys over at RED User have become quite adept in recent months at securing group buy discounts for their members. Is this something that we should be encouraging over here and if so, what sort of products would be high on the list...?

Batteries?
    Tripod/head combos?
    Rigs?
    Follow focus?
    Mixer/preamps?
    **your choice**

EVF (SDI) group buy would be great (if it's possible).

And a shoulder rig.

Comment

Batteries
      Rigs
      Follow focus
      lenses

Comment

Given the nature of the BMCC, I think address it's biggest flaw is by far the most important. External battery solutions. I know they're not the most expensive part of the rig, but they're an important one, and getting a quality v-mount/pinch would do wonders for lots of people starting out with this camera.
        Steve Lee Jean
        Busan, South Korea + Los Angeles, CA

Comment

I'm not trying to start a war but the battery thing is one of it's biggest strengths. I like options. What works for my shooting may not work for yours. I may end up with one but V-mount is way to heavy and pricey for my shooting style. We should combine with RED user and get a Convergent Designs Odyssey7 group buy!

Comment

Originally posted by innerspark View Post
            Given the nature of the BMCC, I think address it's biggest flaw is by far the most important. External battery solutions. I know they're not the most expensive part of the rig, but they're an important one, and getting a quality v-mount/pinch would do wonders for lots of people starting out with this camera.
            I agree that camera battery group-buy pricing might be worth pursuing, but v-mount (IDX type), 3-stud (Anton-Bauer type), and other external batteries appropriate for use with BMD cameras are readily available. For the most part they're the same ~12VDC camera batteries widely available for decades for use with pro video cameras. Also, battery mounting plates and cables for BMD cameras are available from many sources & at a variety of prices.

So, sure, negotiating lower prices is worth a try, but batteries for BMD cameras are not scarce.

On a related note, an FYI: My several-year-old Anton-Bauer batteries have reached the end of their life, as eventually happens to all rechargeable batteries. I recently got my Dionic-90 battery re-celled by John Ritter, and it now appears to work perfectly. I'll be sending him my two Hytron-50 batts soon, too. Re-celling my batts makes sense in my case because I also own an expensive AB battery charger. Depending on what batteries & chargers you own, it may make sense to buy new instead of having old batts re-celled. YMMV. There's more info on John's website.
            Last edited by Peter J. DeCrescenzo; 06-16-2013, 09:24 AM.
            www.peterdv.com
            Blog: http://HereForTheWeather.wordpress.com

Comment

EVF-groupbuy!

Will trade my as-new BMPCC 4K v.1.0 for two new BMPCC 4K V.2.0

Comment

Evf all the way
                Ursa 4.6k, Pocket Cinema 4k, BMCC, GoPro Hero4 Black, Mavic Air, Phantom 2, Canon T3i, Lots of glass.

Comment

Originally posted by marshallbaker View Post
                  Evf all the way
                  One more vote for evf!

Comment

EVF would be my vote as well.
                    historyinthemaking.tv Past (BMCC EF Mount, BMPCC, RED ONE MX) Current GH4 Coming Soon RED RAVEN.i http://www.imdb.com/name/nm5046124/

Comment

Originally posted by Peter J. DeCrescenzo View Post
                      I agree that camera battery group-buy pricing might be worth pursuing, but v-mount (IDX type), 3-stud (Anton-Bauer type), and other external batteries appropriate for use with BMD cameras are readily available. For the most part they're the same ~12VDC camera batteries widely available for decades for use with pro video cameras. Also, battery mounting plates and cables for BMD cameras are available from many sources & at a variety of prices.

So, sure, negotiating lower prices is worth a try, but batteries for BMD cameras are not scarce.

On a related note, an FYI: My several-year-old Anton-Bauer batteries have reached the end of their life, as eventually happens to all rechargeable batteries. I recently got my Dionic-90 battery re-celled by John Ritter, and it now appears to work perfectly. I'll be sending him my two Hytron-50 batts soon, too. Re-celling my batts makes sense in my case because I also own an expensive AB battery charger. Depending on what batteries & chargers you own, it may make sense to buy new instead of having old batts re-celled. YMMV. There's more info on John's website.
                      John Ritter is servicing your batteries from beyond the grave? Say hello to him for me. We all miss him!
                      vimeo.com/hearnstudios/

Comment

Originally posted by kgimedia View Post
                        I'm not trying to start a war but the battery thing is one of it's biggest strengths. I like options. What works for my shooting may not work for yours. I may end up with one but V-mount is way to heavy and pricey for my shooting style. We should combine with RED user and get a Convergent Designs Odyssey7 group buy!
                        Odyssey7 is really an amazing deal for OLED monitor- you get a lot of features and options that other companies don't have until much higher price amounts. I'm very interested... anyone know how many units you'd need for a group buy?

Comment

Also, I might be interested in V-Mount of AB batteries if there were good ones available. I have enough for a full day but only if we're always recharging.

Comment

Originally posted by Hearnia View Post
                            John Ritter is servicing your batteries from beyond the grave? Say hello to him for me. We all miss him!
                            LOL!

Hey, I don't care if my old AB batteries are re-celled by zombies or Beetlejuice, just as long as they work! :-)
                            www.peterdv.com
                            Blog: http://HereForTheWeather.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Peter J. DeCrescenzo View Post
                              v-mount (IDX type), 3-stud (Anton-Bauer type), and other external batteries appropriate for use with BMD cameras are readily available.
                              What are the practical differences between these? Why might I want one over the other? Weight, recharge time, battery life, etc. I see these terms for the different types and am wondering if this is simply mounting info or what. I'll need to purchase a mountable battery sometime soon and am hoping to learn more about the options...

Comment

Working...
                              X