Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pocket BMC: Letís face it, Wide angle is going to be a problem with this thing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pocket BMC: Letís face it, Wide angle is going to be a problem with this thing.

The BMPCs main selling point is that it offers good quality large dynamic range video in a compact camera body for a reasonable price.

Which means you want some relatively small lightweight lenses (at a relatively reasonable price) to go with it, otherwise it becomes pointless.

The Panasonic 12-35mm 2.8 showcased by John Brawley’s video - although not tiny – fits this description adequately enough: at 305 grams it doesn’t exceed the cameras 355g so would be well balanced, and at around £700 pounds it doesn’t far exceed the cameras $1000 price tag. And measuring 74mm long and 68mm diameter, its possibly just small enough to transport in a jacket pocket. Plus the constant f2.8 aperture is cool and the IS looks very useful. However, 12mm gives a 34.5mm equivalent (35mm still photography) field of view.
    Now, I like wide angle,
    and 34.5mm equiv is not wide angle.
    Even 28mm equiv irritates me for consistently failing to get what I want in the shot.

So what are the options?

I have looked at numerous forum threads discussing which Cmount and cinema wide angles are suitable for super16 and it is honestly a labyrinth of despair:

No-one seems be entirely certain which lenses will cover the sensor.
    Then even if you do find out, were do you buy it? how many are even available?
    Even if you find one on eBay are you seriously going to be able afford it?
    Cinema lenses are already in the thousands, and due to the added interest from this camera any previously reasonable bargains will be inflated out the reasonable price range.
    Then even if you have the money to throw at it, it could turn up and vignette badly and/or be an old soft as crap piece of shit.

So what lenses are there that are going to be simple to get?

The Olympus 9-18 is compact, light weight and inexpensive, but the range is a pretty standard 25.9-51.8mm equiv.
    Not bad, but not in the very wide to ultra wide category.

Then there’s the Panasonic 7-14. At 300g 83mm by 70mm its quite similar to the 12-35.
    And giving a 20.1 to 40.3mm equiv FOV it is very wide. Although it’s not ultra wide.
    In its favour it apparently doesn’t breathe on focusing and it has a constant aperture.
    However that aperture is f4 which frankly is just too slow to excite me.
    For the price of around £650/$1000 I’d really want 2.8 or brighter.

Other options involve the Metabones speed booster. Which although it isn’t out yet, by the time the bmpc ships in bulk in 2014 it may be

Used with the tokina 11-16 it would give a nice fast f2 constant zoom. But the FOV of 22.1 to 32.2mm equiv is very “so-what”.

Used with the sigma 8-16 it would give a FOV of 16.1 to 32.2 which finally takes us into the ultra wide realm. However even with the one stop advantage it would still only be f3.2-4.
    But even more important would be the size and weight for both of these combinations:

The sigma being 555g, 105mm long and 75mm wide
    And the Tokina being 560g, 89mm long and 84mm wide
    The speed booster adding approximately 194g and 27mm of length to that.

You can do the maths yourselves. In short these combo’s are mammoths compared to the bmpc.
    At that point you may as well use the micro four thirds bmcc and enjoy the extra field of view it provides.

So where do we stand? I guess if you have the money to spare you can afford to just treat it as a toy. so whatever it is, it is. But for me to spend $2000 dollars on the camera and lens would stop me being able to get another camera, so this really makes the bmpc a lot less appealing.

I would love to be proved wrong now and told that there is a 6mm or less, 2.8 or less lens in mass production that will cover the sensor for less than $1000 dollars. But I’m not going to hold my breath.
    Last edited by Mattoid; 04-25-2013, 07:12 PM.

By all means, don't get a camera that doesn't do what you want it to do.

But why would you claim that something that doesn't work for you but could very well work perfectly well for someone else is just a "toy"?

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Paige View Post
      By all means, don't get a camera that doesn't do what you want it to do.

But why would you claim that something that doesn't work for you but could very well work perfectly well for someone else is just a "toy"?
      How about you just take a step back or two........

Better yet remember there will be the Metabones Adapter that will solve all problems.

Finally if you want wider with no adapter or expensive lenses then there are many other options for you. But with this "Toy" in the right hands will create "Timeless" work......

Comment

Originally posted by Mattoid View Post
        The BMPCs main selling point is that it offers good quality large dynamic range video in a compact camera body for a reasonable price.

Which means you want some relatively small lightweight lenses (at a relatively reasonable price) to go with it, otherwise it becomes pointless.
        Completely wrong- you are saving on a camera body with superior image, so you have money left where it counts- glass. I am getting tired of people spouting complete bullshit. You can also get Switar 10mm prime or Kinoptik 5.7mm wide angle on eBay for about $500-$600 a piece. There is also Canon 8-64mm, Canon 7-63mm, and Angienieux 7-75. Plenty of options.

Comment

Please stop being buthurt by the word toy. You're missing the point and inserting your own. I want the thing. I'm just going in circles with lens options.

Comment

You missed out on a fantastic Optar Illumina 8mm T/1.3 lens on eBay that sold for $1500. Not wide enough?

Comment

Ok i see that using ebay.com brings up quite a lot of options. ebay.co.uk came up with nothing. consider my rant void.

Comment

To everyone in all the nations of the world,

Stop using the word "butthurt".

I'm begging you.

Thanks,
                Me

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Paige View Post
                  To everyone in all the nations of the world,

Stop using the word "butthurt".

I'm begging you.

Thanks,
                  Me
                  Why do you dislike it? I think it works pretty well in making people realise how over emotional they're being.

Comment

It sounds to me like a ten year-old kid who thinks he's pushing the envelope all while not having the guts to say an actual curse word.

Comment

Blah, blah, blah, blah...... There are plenty of lenses out there that will work. There is enough time until it comes out to do your own research based on the camera specs and find them. Why do people need to keep asking others for the information they can gather with their very own brains and some leg work?

Comment

Before the DSLR hoo-ha, many filmmakers were working with 16mm anyways when we couldn't get a budget for 35mm. There was a time and age when we all worked with that format size and everyone was fine.
                        Steve Lee Jean
                        Busan, South Korea + Los Angeles, CA

Comment

Originally posted by innerspark View Post
                          Before the DSLR hoo-ha, many filmmakers were working with 16mm anyways when we couldn't get a budget for 35mm. There was a time and age when we all worked with that format size and everyone was fine.
                          Exactly, take a step back. chill. And why in the name of camera-god would you want anything wider then 20mm, no one will find it cinematic?
                          http://www.erichasso.com/
                          http://www.thesuspenseofdisbelief.com/

Comment

Well the OP has a point fast ultra wides on the pocket camera will be expensive and rare.

The going rate for a used Optar 8mm T1.3 is $1300-2000 and will be going up now that the pocket cam is coming out. The Ultra Wide Optex 5mm and 6mm are in the $4-6K range and ultra Zeiss is 10K.

But hey if I am in low light I will use a 9.5mm super speed and take 10 steps back.

Auxiliary lenes will also work better with the pocket cam, the very good ones were made for 2/3'' broadcast cameras and now can be put back to work. I just bought a Century Tinsley .6x for next to nothing, this is a dual asphric lens designed by the people who fixed the Hubble.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Hasso View Post
                              Exactly, take a step back. chill. And why in the name of camera-god would you want anything wider then 20mm, no one will find it cinematic?
                              +100

Never understood that... why not just get a GoPro if you seem to be doing UW/POV all the time anyways

Comment

Working...
                              X