Exfat slow format on PC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exfat slow format on PC?

Guys, I am formatting a new Kingston 240 GB SSD and using the command line "format J: fs/exfat" and it is proceeding extremely slow. It's going to take about 30 minutes I am guessing. I was not around the day I had my IT guy at work format my other 240 GB drive but he didn't mention it taking this long. Is this normal?? If I need to dump data from a drive and format on the go......30 minutes is far too long IMHO.
    I still need to format my Corsair 512GB M4 yet and it will take even longer I fear!
    Thanks for any insight.

You can add /q to that command for a quick format.

Comment

Thanks. Will try.

Comment

Just out of curiosity, why command line? Rightclick and than format on the drive will do the trick .
        And yeah, quickformat takes under 3 seconds.
        Blog: http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

Comment

Nope Frank, doesnīt work when the drive is connected via eSATA. I donīt know why but windows 7 (at least on all three PCs I tried) only formats exfat when you connect via USB2/3.
          With eSATA you simply canīt choose the exfat option in windows, only NTSF.

And yes, use /q to quickformat.
          BMCC - Sony HVR-Z7 - Nikon D7100

Comment

I actually could connect it via USB3 but since I had an open Esata dock I chose that route. Had I known I could format the traditional way using USB connection I would have. I will try this on my next drive when I need to reformat.

Thanks all!

Comment

Originally posted by Felix View Post
              Nope Frank, doesnīt work when the drive is connected via eSATA. I donīt know why but windows 7 (at least on all three PCs I tried) only formats exfat when you connect via USB2/3.
              With eSATA you simply canīt choose the exfat option in windows, only NTSF.

And yes, use /q to quickformat.
              Yes you can

I do it all the time.

If exFAT doesn't show up in the format dialog, go to discmanagement, delete the whole partition and make a new one (while on eSATA).
              After that it will show up under USB and eSATA.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Glencairn View Post
                Yes you can

I do it all the time.

If exFAT doesn't show up in the format dialog, go to discmanagement, delete the whole partition and make a new one (while on eSATA).
                After that it will show up under USB and eSATA.
                Frank. Prior to trying the command line, I did go into disk management and deleted the partition from the drive completely. At this point, windows has no idea there is a drive attached needing formatted. I then tried to create a new partition and still was only able to choose NTFS. No other options. Clearly there is some other element at play here. I checked with my IT guy and when he formatted my original drive for me, he was on Winders 8 and did it the standard way....no issues.

So there is clearly some element we are not understanding that allows some to format traditionally and others to have to use a command line. Perhaps the ESATA controller?

Comment

That's strange. It works just fine here on two win7 workstations and my Dell laptop (win7) - no mater if on USB or eSata.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Glencairn View Post
                    That's strange. It works just fine here on two win7 workstations and my Dell laptop (win7) - no mater if on USB or eSata.
                    Just out of curiosity, can you verify what kind of esata controller you have in your laptop? I can say for certain that on my workstation, the esata ports are powered by a Marvell controller on the mainboard, and not the Intel controller that all internal drives are connected to. I will test this on my laptop shortly.

Comment

Working...
                    X