• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Tilta Mini Matte-Box and Mini Follow Focus

For those who aren't subscribe to their mailing list

https://tilta.com/2019/12/12/pre-ord...-follow-focus/

cec07e41-2d6c-463d-8b22-3fe7bee36288_1b.jpg

7451584d-17ed-445e-a2ca-04eb29359a23_1.jpg

Really great price for a matte box that supports regular AND screw-on filters.
    And knowing Tilta, it will be of great quality.

My P6K is already fully Tilta-d out. I think I'll get the matte box as well, because that price is too good to pass up.

(I'm not affiliated, just a fan )

Will I be able to screw a VariND on the matte box and also able to control it with this matte box?

On their instagram someone pointed out something interesting:

"So @tiltamax defeats the purpose of a mattebox by seating the filter tray at the front just to make it smaller? And with two inches of air between the filter and the front element? Good luck to your customer service reps once the “I keep getting a bunch of weird reflections” calls start flooding in..."

What do you guys think?
    GRÉGORY

Comment

I saw this last night. I wanted to really like it but I can use a variable ND and no side flags. Side flags help out more than the top one almost 3 to 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Park Edwards View Post
        I saw this last night. I wanted to really like it but I can use a variable ND and no side flags. Side flags help out more than the top one almost 3 to 1.
        Not sure about 3 to 1 but side flags really help in reducing light on the front element. Good call.

Comment

Well, as long as there is only the sun and you don't use a polarizer or graded ND, you can always turn it into the position you need.

Comment

This is more of a pimped filterholder than a mattebox. With the square filter completely exposed all of your halation or diffusion filters are going to take off. With no filter frame you're going to get crazy reflections as well.

I don't fully get the $99 dollar mattebox concept. 4x4.65 filters are sooooooo expensive, a set of quality NDs can easily cost over a grand.

I'm sure this will have it's uses and for camera bling you can't beat the price. Anyone using 4X5.65 filters is going to use a product that doesn't have so many compromises when serving it's intended function.

Comment

i agree that this Mattebox is designed in very strange way. Very limited thing.

FollowFocus looks interesting. I still believe that mechanical Follow Focus may be useful because it is simpler than electronic FF, and don't needs batteries and calibration. But it is a thing that 100% depends of mechanical quality parts. So it really needs some real life tests and reviews. Closest to this price range/form factor where Sevenoak SK-F1X and SK-F2X and also it was similar PROAIM Flip Follow Focuses which are anyway where more expensive and seems not for sale anymore in many places.
              All my custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC now available here https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

Comment

Yeah, after seeing all the potential flaws with the matte box, I decided to cancel my pre-order and wait until I see some real world reviews.

Comment

Working...
                X