Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackmagic camera release dates?

Hi

Is there a list online for the announcement / shipping dates for all existing blackmagic cameras?

Cheers

I’m not aware of a comprehensive list of these dates. You should create one!

Comment

Well, so far they all have been released. What else is there?

Comment

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/media/release/archive

Comment

Originally posted by kgimedia View Post
          I’m not aware of a comprehensive list of these dates. You should create one!
          This is the nearest I got, just seeing if there was any kind of release pattern:

BMCC - 4 September 2012
          Pocket Cinema - April 2013
          Ursa - 4 August 2014
          Ursa Mini 4k - April 2015
          Micro Cinema - Nov 2015
          Ursa Mini 4.6k - 17 March 2016
          Ursa Mini Pro - 2 March 2017
          Pocket Cinema 4k - 3 September 2018
          Ursa Mini Pro G2 - 5 March 2019
          Pocket cinema 6k - August 2019

Comment

I really don't see any need for a new camera this year.

Comment

Originally posted by EYu View Post
              Well, so far they all have been released. What else is there?
              Well that's obvious.
              FF
              Everybody and their dinky little S35 sensors.

Comment

I see two avenues of improvement:
                - Full frame: because everybody else is doing it so I expect BM to go that way too at some point
                - Autofocus: this one may not be short-term, but at some point I expect them to use sensors with phase-detect, and start implementing face-detect, eye-detect, etc, like the tiny cameras are doing now

I would expect FF at NAB 2020, and PDAF with face-detect maybe in 2022.
                My YouTube channel

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel H View Post
                  I see two avenues of improvement:
                  - Full frame: because everybody else is doing it so I expect BM to go that way too at some point
                  - Autofocus: this one may not be short-term, but at some point I expect them to use sensors with phase-detect, and start implementing face-detect, eye-detect, etc, like the tiny cameras are doing now

I would expect FF at NAB 2020, and PDAF with face-detect maybe in 2022.
                  FF and good autofocus.
                  Absolutely agree.
                  One of my cameras has the best autofocus there is in a cinema camera.
                  It is wonderful.
                  BM would be great if it had the same level of performance.

Comment

Originally posted by EYu View Post
                    I really don't see any need for a new camera this year.
                    Still hoping for an Ursa Micro. The Sony FX6 is coming.

Comment

FF is hard because the (good) sensors aren't cheap.

AF is also hard because that's a lot of R&D.

IBIS is hard too again, because of R&D.

Blackmagic's development team is still a tiny team of a few individuals. They are more likely to focus on what they can improve easily in their core DNA...high bit depth, wide DR and workflow that is fairly uncompromising in terms of compression....

If I had to predict I's guess they would focus on improvements to BRAW and an improved custom BMD sensor to follow on from where they got to with the G2.

Maybe if they find a way to do FF they would, but when I last asked they basically said the yield is hard and the cost of doing them makes it tricky to add up.

They are also skewing more to the broadcast and events markets. That's where volume is and there's more of an ecosystem for other BMD made items like switchers and converters, monitors etc.

Cinema doesn't pay, the market is actually quite small, and expectations are unrealistically high in terms of IQ for the price and the build of the cameras.

Cameras like the FX9 and CX00 series are pretty compelling at the 10-20K mark with a lot of features BMD would be hard pressed to match, so I'd assume they want to stay well under a 10K ceiling. Komodo might squeeze under that prive point too once built.

In broadcast and events there's less also scrutiny on things like DR and they tend to buy 5 or 10 cameras at a time, and they are less abused when used in studio environment.

JB

Comment

Well, the Sigma fp is full frame and its biggest problem is lack of BRAW ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Nomad View Post
                          Well, the Sigma fp is full frame and its biggest problem is lack of BRAW ;-)
                          And a not that great rolling shutter time ? Always the challenge too on a larger 135 format sensor. I think for that to come down means the camera has to be clocked out faster and that means more processing, more power, more cooling. That means larger size, more cost etc.

I think the fp is a really interesting camera for sure. I'm sure too the volume of sales from a camera like the fp also helps get the price down because it's a stills camera first, then a pretty handy video camera, rather than a dedicated cine camera. I'm sure they outsell the Pocket by a factor of 10.

And I'm not that convinced in video mode the DR is all that great...might be able to see that develop as time goes on.

JB

Comment

Thanks for sharing all that. Very interesting.

I don't think the fp is selling more than the pocket: I've seen plenty of p4k bodies in the wild, I'm yet to see any Sigma cameras in the real world. But that's Madrid, maybe in Asia it's different...

And yes, the DR in the fp is what I'm most interested in. Still waiting for the test at lensprotogo (those are my favorite DR/latitude tests lately).
                            My YouTube channel

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel H View Post
                              Thanks for sharing all that. Very interesting.

I don't think the fp is selling more than the pocket: I've seen plenty of p4k bodies in the wild, I'm yet to see any Sigma cameras in the real world. But that's Madrid, maybe in Asia it's different...
                              Maybe you're thinking of it only a video camera but it's a stills camera first, the fp would be going very well compared to the niche market of a cine camera like the P4K.

Blackmagic for example would never make this list...
                              https://www.diyphotography.net/the-s...abashi-camera/

and this..

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/n...-camera-stores

and remember it's only just started shipping. Late October. The P4K has been going out for a while (even though in fits and starts) for what...more than a year ?

Yes Japan is a insulated market that is often very different to others, I'm just saying how this camera is very much a stills camera that shoots good video. That's it's true position and I think that alone means it's exposed to a much larger market of buyers. Video oriented is a lot less of the camera market.

JB

Comment

Working...
                              X