No announcement yet.

Original pocket ok for filming in cars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original pocket ok for filming in cars?

I have used DSLRs filming from cars and got bad jello. How is the original pocket for this? Talking about filming without a gimbal of course. Either handheld or tripod mounted inside the car and filming out of the window. Thanks.

If the terrain is nice and clear, you might have a chance. Otherwise it's going to behave like any other dslr.

Comment

It's just normal paved streets. Not off roading or anything. Just driving through city streets.

Comment

I shot with the pocket cam shoulder mounted in the passenger's seat of a car once. It wasn't super balanced but I did have an EVF for that third point of contact. I was just shooting out the windshield for fun but keeping it stable was still a challenge. It really depends on the vehicle's suspension and your ability to isolate yourself from any bumps.

Comment

Having really stable hands or a good stabilizer like a shouder rig will help you. Maybe even a monopod but my recommendation goes to a nice shoulder rig.

Comment

Thanks. I don't mind camera shake. I just don't want jello. We will probably use a tripod standing on the car floor. No EVF.

I don't remember which DSLR I used. It was long ago. I think it was a GH3 or maybe a GH2. But it looked horrible. The whole frame was wobbling like jelly. This is the effect I'm trying to avoid. Camera shake is fine. Even skew can be tolerated. Jello, NO!

So if no Jello I would like to use the pocket because it's so small. The alternative is a F5, which is much bigger and cumbersome.

Comment

The old Pocket is not much better regarding jello, since its readout is still slow. Rather rent or borrow a video camera instead or the new one. It's faster.

Comment

Like this one?

Comment

Originally posted by Taikonaut View Post
                  Like this one?

But that is different. That is shooting inside the car. Rolling shutter is not really a problem that way, unless the camera is very bad. Point the camera to the outside when the car is driving and it's a different story.

Comment

Originally posted by Nomad View Post
                    The old Pocket is not much better regarding jello, since its readout is still slow. Rather rent or borrow a video camera instead or the new one. It's faster.
                    By video camera do you mean something like an EX1, Z150 etc, or more like a FS7 and higher end?

Comment

Or like this resting on a sand bag from Rodney Charters for Dallas

Comment

Also, is it my impression or is the original pocket a bit soft in the resolution? I know it's HD. But I'm finding some very murky and overall not that sharp videos on vimeo. Or is this problem only when not shooting in RAW?

Comment

Maybe you are already used to HD shot with supersampling? Actually, 1920 x 1080 photocells don't really resolve 1920 x 1080 pixels, in particular not with a Bayer-pattern.

IMHO, the original pocket is a bit too sharp to avoid moiré, since it has no OLPF.

Comment

I was more comparing it to something like a FS700 or F3. Neither of which records supersampled HD.

What is the accepted dynamic range of the original pocket?

The other options are Sony EX1, Z150 and Panasonic AC90.

Comment

Many Sony cameras apply artificial sharpening. The pocket doesn’t.

Comment

Working...
                              X