No announcement yet.

Original pocket ok for filming in cars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK. Fair enough. But in terms of rolling shutter, do you think a Sony EX1, Z150 or Panasonic AC90 would do a better job?

Comment

Originally posted by Dudadh View Post
      Thanks. I don't mind camera shake. I just don't want jello.
      Well the jello comes with the shake.
      If you want to avoid a gimbal, get a cheap yoga rubber band and hang your camera from there (tie it to the handles at the ceiling, or clamp it into the windows)
      You still have to held it with your hands, but it takes out at least 85% of the shake.
      Blog: http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Glencairn View Post
        Well the jello comes with the shake.
        If you want to avoid a gimbal, get a cheap yoga rubber band and hang your camera from there (tie it to the handles at the ceiling, or clamp it into the windows)
        You still have to held it with your hands, but it takes out at least 85% of the shake.
        I know the jello comes from the shake. What I meant is, if it was just the shake it wouldn't bother me. Like if it was a global shutter.

But I wouldn't think any little shake will cause jello in it, or?

So am I better off using one of the other above cameras then?

Comment

Originally posted by Dudadh View Post
          I know the jello comes from the shake. What I meant is, if it was just the shake it wouldn't bother me. Like if it was a global shutter.

But I wouldn't think any little shake will cause jello in it, or?

So am I better off using one of the other above cameras then?
          Every camera with rolling shutter will cause jello proportional to the sensor readout speed, so on a literal technical level any shake will cause at least some rolling shutter artefacts, it's more a question of how intrusive they are. IMO the Pocket and Micro are pretty acceptable on this front with warping that's largely indistinguishable from general shake in most circumstances. I did a whole bit for a video where we did whip pans with a macro lens, one of the worst case scenarios for rolling shutter, and the rolling shutter was not really consciously visible unless we went through the footage frame by frame. It's a far, far cry from the GH3 in 4k mode where any little wiggle skews the whole image like a funhouse mirror and whip pans go visibly 45.

Comment

In the history of whip pans, how many were broken by rolling shutter? It’s like saying the heart shape lowers the integrity of a star wipe.

Rolling shutter on the Pocket is pretty bad, the micro is an improvement. Anything sub 10ms is pretty good.

Anything longer than ~16mm in a vehicle will be challenging.

Good Luck

P.S. Video cameras are rolling shutter as well, CCD is long gone and global shutters are exotic broadcast technology. In the scope of this discussion the original 4k would likely check the most boxes for b cam.

Comment

Ok. I filmed some tests with it. But I see there are no LUTs for it in Resolve? Where can I get LUTs for the original pocket? Thanks.

Comment

Not sure what you're looking for but the ones I typically fall back to are:

Instant Cinema
                Print Film Emulation
                KODACHROME – K-Tone LUT

Comment

OK thanks. I will try them. I did some tests in raw and every LUT I tried in Resolve gave me overexposed funky footage. But they were for other blackmagic cameras.

Comment

Depending on what you're doing, you might have an easier time transforming the color space you're working in instead of using LUTs straight away, or at the very least balancing the exposure via a node prior to the LUT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qJ7i9b28Lo

Comment

Working...
                    X