Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When will original Bmpcc used prices drop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When will original Bmpcc used prices drop?

So the 4k seems to be readily available and many have already moved on the 6k, but used prices for the original seem to be holding unrealistically high. Given that some of them will be over 6 years old at this point, and some sold originally for only $500 during the summer sell off you would think bare bodies should be maybe $200, unless you have proof of a late recent model, but they are typically bidding to more than double that and even broken ones trying to sell for more. To be fair I'd never sell mine for that cheap, will keep it until it dies, but would love another one and can't justify the price.

I wonder if even though everyone swears that stuff needs to be at least 4k now, there is enough of us that know that HD is good enough for most stuff and the mojo of the original just can't be matched. Hell people are going back to shooting miniDV and VHS just to get something that looks different from everything else. I personally don't see the appeal of say a 4k iPhone vs the original pocket, but that's just me.

I'm in the camp that HD is more than good enough for my needs even though I'm also selling my original Pocket and Micro cameras. My main interest in picking up the P4K was for quality of life improvements (Full HDMI, XLR audio, Battery Grip) as well as overall better IQ. I'm going to keep using and getting great images out my HD cameras until they leave me, one way or another...

Comment

I doubt they'll drop anytime soon. They break easily, so supply is getting smaller. OTOH there is nothing with that image quality in such a small case, so people keep looking for them.
      A case of supply vs. demand…

Comment

Originally posted by dop16mm View Post
        I wonder if even though everyone swears that stuff needs to be at least 4k now, there is enough of us that know that HD is good enough for most stuff and the mojo of the original just can't be matched. Hell people are going back to shooting miniDV and VHS just to get something that looks different from everything else. I personally don't see the appeal of say a 4k iPhone vs the original pocket, but that's just me.
        If anything, they'll go up. They have "that look" that no other camera has, and now they're getting rarer. Plus, the fact that new SD cards don't work with them means that the SD cards that come with the used listings are more valuable as well.

I know because I just sold my OG Pocket with 256GB Sandisk Extreme (with cage and battery sled) for $700.

Comment

It is interesting. As much talk as we hear about the race to 8k, the need for 6k and the need for 4k as a minimum requirement, the picture from some of these older, HD cameras aren't just holding up; people are finding them more appealing than higher resolution images from much newer cameras. I can see why people don't want to part with the OG Pocket or Cinema Cameras for half of what they originally cost, especially if they're in pretty good working order - they still produce great pictures compared to much more expensive offerings. I can't imagine selling my older BMD cameras, but would not hesitate to sell my AF100s or my HPX500, if I could.

Shawn

Comment

There are deals out there if you're looking at the right time and ready to pounce when you see it. I recently picked up OG Pocket in great condition for just under $300 on eBay. I was the lone bidder in the last seconds. Not under $200, but definitely less than most of the Pockets I see on eBay.

Comment

I was just thinking of breaking out my original pocket the other day and converting it to like a 16mm handy cam with grip. still need to figure out that battery life though haha. So glad I kept onto it. The image is so unique

Comment

I bought mine off Ebay for $350 and it came with 3 extra batteries. I have see even better deals you just have be on the look out.

Comment

For sure good deals come up and others slip through the cracks. There are lots of full kits that seem to be fair priced when considering setting up from scratch, but I already have one fully rigged, and I just want a decent spare body to use naked or with a loupe that I already have. Part of the problem is that I'm in Canada, and a lot of the best deals won't ship internationally. The Dollar is low enough that a $350 deal will be over $500 to me. I keep kicking myself for missing out on picking up a second one when they were $500 new and money was still nearly at par.

I just passed on bidding on one that could have been O.k., but the seller had never actually used it. Just showed it powered up with no lens, so no indication of sensor condition. I don't know if there is any recourse if a camera arrives essentially DOA if the seller never actually claims it works, just assumes it might work because the screen powers up.

Comment

Originally posted by dop16mm View Post
                    I don't know if there is any recourse if a camera arrives essentially DOA if the seller never actually claims it works, just assumes it might work because the screen powers up.
                    The condition the seller posts the camera under is important. An item listed in "used" condition has the reasonable expectation to be functional, while an item in "parts/as-is does not. Obviously items lists as parts/as-is sell for less than used ones. This seller sounds like they might be trying to play ignorant in order to fetch more money.

Choose the risk level that is acceptable to you, but know that eBay heavily favors buyers in disputes.

Comment

Originally posted by ShawnMi View Post
                      It is interesting. As much talk as we hear about the race to 8k, the need for 6k and the need for 4k as a minimum requirement,
                      Well - outside of our bubble, pretty much nobody gives a shit about resolution, when watching.
                      My Netflix comes in at 4-5 mbits and that's pretty much the norm for most folks - what do you think does that sort of compression to your resolution (i.e. actual image detail)?
                      Blog: http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

Comment

The Original BMPCC has that look that no other camera has, and still does true RAW recording. The only other camera I can think of with that look is the low run Swedish cam Ikonoscope or whatever it was called. Unfortunately, BMPCC only half works after getting water damage in Thailand from the humidity. That camera is in no way water resistant.

Comment

Working...
                        X