Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice - UMP dead after 1.5 years - Support declining to help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Howie Roll View Post
    Don't give up the fight. If they don't make it right BM will never see another cent from me, believe it.
    Same here. I'm already holding off getting the P6K until I can find a decent extended warranty company for my UMP G2, or any better news from BMD - fingers crossed.

Comment

BMD treats their cameras like they do with their broadcast equipements and live production switchers which was their main business. They have to realise cameras design for tough field conditions require a different kind of support and access to repair not just confined to a 1 year warranty and no other options beyond that.

Comment

Originally posted by EYu View Post
        Same here. I'm already holding off getting the P6K until I can find a decent extended warranty company for my UMP G2, or any better news from BMD - fingers crossed.
        Is it possible to extend warranty after the camera has been out of warranty?

Comment

Originally posted by jambredz View Post
          Same here
          me three!

Comment

Mysterious sensor ..

Originally posted by polaroid22 View Post
            me three!
            I Want to Add that there is Something a bit " UNCLEAR " about those Sensors .. I don't have the Architecture in front of me .. but WHY should a Sensor Completely Die , All of a Sudden ? If you tell me you find Dead Pixels or a strange Blue line in the image , I would
            say " Yes , some Defects have appeared " .. but , if the Device Dies Completely and Suddenly .. I would think that a Major Component has failed , a Common Power Rail , or a Voltage Regulator .. and That Should Not Happen ..

Yes , a Sensor is a Complex , and Fragile Component , it Drains Current , and it Heats , so there are Thermal Constraints ..

BUT , Your Computer's CPU is also a very Complex and Fragile Component , and , despite of that , it does not fail .. There is an incredible Number of CPU's in our World , working 24/24 , 7/7 , 365/365 , for YEARS , and sometimes for DECADES , with never ever a single failure ..

My First " Real " Computer was using a Pentium 90 .. Some Time later , a Defect was discovered ( an Error in " Heavy " Calculations , which did not affect " Normal " Use .. ) , and INTEL replaced the defective CPU's , free of any charge ..

There is Nothing Magical in those Sensors .. it's Pure Technology .. if Something Fails , there is a Reason ..

Those Sensors Failures ARE NOT NORMAL BEHAVIOUR .........

This is a Very Bad , and Worrying Problem ... and it Must be Adressed ..

With my Best Regards from France ..

Mike ..

Comment

So it's too bad baby.

Without the public outcry there is no recourse.

And even then we don't know.

Who's the next victim?

You're screwed.

Comment

Originally posted by GeranSimpson View Post
                To put it bluntly, if your investment of gear costing $1300-$2400 needs to be replaced in 18 months and you are worried about making the return to cover it in that amount of time, perhaps it's the wrong investment, or your business model needs re-structuring.
                Those who are whining about others broken cameras should belly up to the bar and swap their working camera with the other users broken one.

Problem solved!

Comment

Originally posted by tremblingwater View Post
                  Update - still no update. I replied to that originally quoted email with pretty much the rhetoric of expressed here and got an email saying 'it will be looked into'.

Not sure what that means just yet but I'm glad (to a degree) that it isn't just over yet.

I also tried posting in the official Blackmagic forums but as I imagined, it never got approved. However, I got a PM from Tony saying he could get it looked into.

Regardless, there are very important issues with BMD which is a shame because I have pushed in favour of BMD for a long time but their QA has been very sketchy to say the least.

I am thankful of this community chiming in and speaking up.
                  I probably sound like a fan boy saying this and that's simply not the case. But I think you'll find that this site is looked at by many of the product team at BM. I guess that I am a fan boy in the sense that IMHO they are pretty fair and very helpful. I'm 99% sure that they have seen your post. Remember that these are the product managers not the people who handle the issues on the phone. As the managers they do have a great deal of influence. While it's not what everyone would say is a perfect solution all in all I think they've done pretty well and they've gone way out of their way for posters on this site. Certainly I'm not sugarcoating the problems that you've had. Just that I think you'll end up with a good solution. A $6K camera should last more than 18 months.

Comment

Originally posted by polaroid22 View Post
                    Is it possible to extend warranty after the camera has been out of warranty?
                    Most of the extended warranty I found requires that the camera is within the manufacturers warranty period from date of purchase. Unfortunately the 3 that I contacted so far requires that your purchased was within 30 days to buy the extended warranty. There is one that I call who only stipulates that it has to be within warranty period but not certain what the details is. I have left a message last Friday and hope they will call me back on Monday. My UMP G2 is 3 months old and is still under manufacturer warranty. So I am trying to find an extended warranty that does not have the 30 day constraint.

Comment

Originally posted by Marshall Harrington View Post
                      I probably sound like a fan boy saying this and that's simply not the case. But I think you'll find that this site is looked at by many of the product team at BM. I guess that I am a fan boy in the sense that IMHO they are pretty fair and very helpful. I'm 99% sure that they have seen your post. Remember that these are the product managers not the people who handle the issues on the phone. As the managers they do have a great deal of influence. While it's not what everyone would say is a perfect solution all in all I think they've done pretty well and they've gone way out of their way for posters on this site. Certainly I'm not sugarcoating the problems that you've had. Just that I think you'll end up with a good solution. A $6K camera should last more than 18 months.
                      I agree with Marshall. I never had a problem with BMD support and their managers looking at this forum are pretty helpful (to some extend). However, they are not as responsive as I wish they would be in communicating back. I only had to deal with them once on an out of warranty situation but they gave me a quote for the repair and I was willing to pay for it and got it done.

However, with the OP situation, I'm not hesitant as I'm not willing to have to buy a new camera every time my existing one craps out and because it is out of warranty it cannot be repaired or replaced. That's not right.

Comment

We are living in an age of obsolescence (even if Red once was using the bold marketing claim "Obsolescence Obsolete!".
                        i'm afraid that the level of after-sales service is what you really buy into when getting an Arri. I doubt that making such a camera is that much more expensive as it seems, but perfect client support is.

OTOH, look at all the cheap electronics people buy from China. I doubt that they offer much of client care. BM seems to be stuck in the middle.

Comment

Originally posted by Marshall Harrington View Post
                          I understand and don't see that as fanboyism. Honestly, ive been ushering BMD for a while but there are some things that I, as a professional, wholeheartedly disagree with.

Having to come on here just to potentially get eyes on it is telling. What about the thousands upon thousands of people that aren't on here? Just one of many issues with BMD.

Hopefully this will come through and I need it to but will very likely be my last BMD camera.

Comment

I hope this gets sorted! I was looking for an ursa g2 but with this story it made me reconsider other manufacturers.

Comment

Contact Your Dealer for Issues with Blackmagic Support

What did your dealer say about the email that Blackmagic Support sent about the repair of your URSA Mini Pro not being viable?

As a dealer, I've never had a problem getting issues like this corrected with Blackmagic or other vendors when I've been involved.

Comment

Originally posted by jambredz View Post
                                Less than a year is still under warranty though
                                Unfortunately, in this case, it was not for some reason. Also, after the price drop, the board repair literally costs more than the camera...

Comment

Working...
                                X