Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice - UMP dead after 1.5 years - Support declining to help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Howie Roll View Post
    I donít know, you can call them and ask. 1-844-693-6231. Additionally the plan covers breakage so drops and spills are covered as well.
    I called the number for Asurion 3 year extended warranty plan. Sounds like a good protection plan to get except that my UMP G2, which is a little over 3 months old, does not qualify. The warranty must be purchase within 30 days from the the camera was bought. It's kind of strange putting a constraint of 30 days since the warranty only kicks in after the first year of the manufacturers warranty. But that is what I was told. I might consider this when I purchase the P6K. You don't have to buy the camera from Amazon.

If anyone of you knows of other extended warranty that does not constraint the time from purchase, let us know. This is buying peace of mind from situations that the OP encountered. I wish him my best in getting his situation addressed by BMD.

Comment

So the key points seem to be make sure to buy an extended warranty that includes drop replacement. When your camera has a strange electronic failure make sure to drop it on its head before sending it in so you can get your replacement covered.

Comment

I have a P4K on pre-order and I was going to order another P6K, both to complement my UMP-G2. This situation has deeply concern me because the total cost of my investment for the BMD cameras plus the accessories specific to just BMD cameras (like cages, etc.) comes to a total of 5 figure investment. If I own all 3 BMD cameras and it fails on me in 18 months that I have to buy new ones to replace them, that doubles (or could even triple) the cost that becomes unsustainable and impractical. I'm spooked right now so I have canceled the P4K pre-order and hold off adding the P6K. I'm very careful of my equipment but I have no control over failures due to defects. Maybe a Sony or Canon route would be a safer bet for the future. IDK. Just saying and thinking how I should approach my camera investments as it pertains to my need and finances from here on out.

Comment

The Pocket 4K is inexpensive enough, even if it only lasted 18 months, you could easily replace it. More often than not, cameras today are not long term investments like they were 5 or 10 years ago. Tech is changing so fast, that in a couple of years, the camera you get today, is more likely going to be obsolete. Also, failures like the one recently reported are rare. I have an original Ursa that has been giving us more than two years of good service, when it goes, it will get replaced by another BMD camera, depending on our needs then.

You are better off picking a camera system, lens mount, and accessories that can be used on more than one camera. Select a camera company based on their color science, support, and your budget, then stick with them.

Lenses are more of a long term investment, put your money their. The EF and PL mounts are safe bets, as is Nikon for still glass. I think PL is the best bet for multiple camera use. Put your money here, and get the cameras that meet your current needs, and then use them! MFT lenses are good, and inexpensive enough to use on a disposable camera like the Pocket 4K, which can also be adapted to EF snd PL glass.
          I still have and use S16 PL mount lenses, as well as Zeiss ZF glass. So my camera choices today, tend to support those lenses.
          Cheers

Comment

To put it bluntly, if your investment of gear costing $1300-$2400 needs to be replaced in 18 months and you are worried about making the return to cover it in that amount of time, perhaps it's the wrong investment, or your business model needs re-structuring.

Comment

Originally posted by GeranSimpson View Post
              To put it bluntly, if your investment of gear costing $1300-$2400 needs to be replaced in 18 months and you are worried about making the return to cover it in that amount of time, perhaps it's the wrong investment, or your business model needs re-structuring.
              While I agree, in the case of the OP it was an Ursa Mini Pro - so about £6000. Not a Venice but it'd still be inconvenient if after a year and a half it died and the manufacturer was unwilling to repair or replace.

Comment

There's too many spoiled rich people in this world today that spending thousands of dollars is not considered an investment. Investment doesn't always yearn a return monetarily. It can be something that you would keep for keep sake. I don't know what to say about some of the comments here that $1200 or $2500 or even $6000 is nothing and just go and buy some more. If my father heard me say that in my early years, I think all my teeth will be knocked off. Geez. All I will say is a penny earn is a penny that should be spent well. BTW, this kind of attitude just empowers the greedy manufacturers to make mediocre products. That's why I tell my children they don't use to make things like they use too. It's all because how the market has treated spending like there's no tomorrow. Maybe some of you will disagree but when I hear remarks as such, it bothers me because it is the wrong message. Not everyone buying a BMD camera is having it paid back because of their paid gig. Some, and I can say many, are buying it because it is what they can afford to get into the industry.

I know of a lot of film students who buy BMD camera so that they can learn while being able to afford it. They expect their cameras to last years while they are in school, and far more after they are out and building up their career portfolio. I know of many students who still use the BMD OG Pocket - in fact I donated a lot of those through our local volunteer campaign for a rural school to help their arts program. Think about the parts of this world were there are many students or aspiring filmmakers who do not have the financial whereabouts to buy expensive cine cameras like you can? BMD serves this nitch. But they have to do a good job at making their products last, or provide service that will help extend the life of the product.

A seasoned well paid professional will be buying these cameras. Absolutely not. They will own an Arri. This are budget cine cameras that need to last as long as the owner has to have them for what they have afforded. I hope some of you would think with that kind of heart.
                Last edited by EYu; 09-27-2019, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Well actually itís twice that because you have to buy the replacement as well. The OP has to cover $12,000 to continue shooting. Letís not forget the difference between making 12k and saving 12k. With a decent day rate you can make 12k in a few weeks but it might take 6 months to save that much. Perhaps what needs re-structuring is your asinine post.

Comment

Business model?? A lot of us here are just hobbyists with no return like myself. If my ursa mini pro would die, I would flip as well.

Comment

Not a good behaviour ..

Originally posted by EYu View Post
                      There's too many spoiled rich people in this world today that spending thousands of dollars is not considered an investment. Investment doesn't always yearn a return monetarily. It can be something that you would keep for keep sake. I don't know what to say about some of the comments here that $1200 or $2500 or even $6000 is nothing and just go and buy some more. If my father heard me say that in my early years, I think all my teeth will be knocked off. Geez. All I will say is a penny earn is a penny that should be spent well. BTW, this kind of attitude just empowers the greedy manufacturers to make mediocre products. That's why I tell my children they don't use to make things like they use too. It's all because how the market has treated spending like there's no tomorrow. Maybe some of you will disagree but when I hear remarks as such, it bothers me because it is the wrong message. Not everyone buying a BMD camera is having it paid back because of their paid gig. Some, and I can say many, are buying it because it is what they can afford to get into the industry.

I know of a lot of film students who buy BMD camera so that they can learn while being able to afford it. They expect their cameras to last years while they are in school, and far more after they are out and building up their career portfolio. I know of many students who still use the BMD OG Pocket - in fact I donated a lot of those through our local volunteer campaign for a rural school to help their arts program. Think about the parts of this world were there are many students or aspiring filmmakers who do not have the financial whereabouts to buy expensive cine cameras like you can? BMD serves this nitch. But they have to do a good job at making their products last, or provide service that will help extend the life of the product.

A seasoned well paid professional will be buying these cameras. Absolutely not. They will own an Arri. This are budget cine cameras that need to last as long as the owner has to have them for what they have afforded. I hope some of you would think with that kind of heart.
                      I Want to Add what I think .. For any " Normal " , With a well working Brain .. and a Sense of Real Life , Guy , or Woman , 6 Thousands Dollars , or Euros , is Not a Small Amount of Money ... Even " Rich People " , who have begun Modestly in Life , Know That , maybe Better than
                      Anyone Else .. Respect is Very Important .. respect of People , respect of Work , respect of the Real Value of Things ..

Also , not wanting to Repair the Camera , the Meaning is : " This is a Low End Equipment .. any problem , and it goes to the Garbage Can .. " . They don't say that Clearly .. but that is the Deep Meaning .. Acting that way is very Harmful for the Equipment , and its Reputation ..
                      Its Exactly the Opposite of what should be done ..

I think a Camera like the Ursa Mini Pro DESERVES BETTER THAN THAT ... And a Manufacturer DESERVES BETTER THAN THAT ..

Buying a Camera is not Just buying a " Thing " , an " Object " .. it is buying a TOOL .. made for Working .. You NEED IT ..

So , if the Tool is deficient , why not to Repair it , There is a Cost , of Course , but not Doing it would be more Expensive for everybody ..

As for everything in Life , Things have to be done in a Clever , and Sane Way , so , you are Sure not to make a Mistake ..

These were my Two Cents .. from France ..

With my Best Regards // A Nice Week End for Everyone ..

Mike ..

Comment

I think if BMD is reading this they will consider working with a third party extended warranty provider who is willing to underwrite their cameras and allow owners with a still valid or new manufacturer's warranty to buy extended warranty. My microwave manufacturer, Kenmore, gives me the option to buy an extended warranty from Sears Home Warranty which cost around $40 as long as I purchase it within the 1 year warranty since date of purchase. It extends my manufacturer's warranty another 2 years after the manufacturer warranty expires. They even have a protection plan too. For another $49 a year, I can add a protection plan that will provide repair or replacement service after the warranty expires for all my home appliances (not just the microwave) regardless how old they are. I used it a couple of times when I needed repair. It's not cheap but it gives peace of mind if my refrigerator, oven, microwave, dishwasher, or any appliance in the house breaks down. Shouldn't there be something like this for cameras too?

Comment

Update - still no update. I replied to that originally quoted email with pretty much the rhetoric of expressed here and got an email saying 'it will be looked into'.

Not sure what that means just yet but I'm glad (to a degree) that it isn't just over yet.

I also tried posting in the official Blackmagic forums but as I imagined, it never got approved. However, I got a PM from Tony saying he could get it looked into.

Regardless, there are very important issues with BMD which is a shame because I have pushed in favour of BMD for a long time but their QA has been very sketchy to say the least.

I am thankful of this community chiming in and speaking up.

Comment

Don't give up the fight. If they don't make it right BM will never see another cent from me, believe it.

Comment

Originally posted by Howie Roll View Post
                              Don't give up the fight. If they don't make it right BM will never see another cent from me, believe it.
                              Same here
                              Darren Scott
                              Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

Comment

Gotta ask yourself - If this were a rare occurrence, a fluke, why wouldn't they replace the camera, at least at a discount? If their final decision remains the same, that means it is uneconomical for them to replace cameras with this kind of malfunction because there are too many they would have to replace.

That does not bode well for future business. I remember a thread where the hardcore BMD fans were touting the wonders of the UMP, and that it's no different if not better than more expensive cameras. Why on earth don't productions use them?? They are crazy!

This is why.

Comment

Working...
                                X