Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice - UMP dead after 1.5 years - Support declining to help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recently replaced my third Micro 4K. This time around I purchased the Asurion warranty through Amazon for $57.99, it guarantees that I'll get three years from my investment which is reasonable given the cost of the camera. Interestingly it's only $57.99 for the UMP G2 as well.

This isn't even the first or second time we're hearing about this kind of service from BM. Given the questionable reliability of BM cameras and their poor service track record I'd consider an aftermarket warranty to be mandatory.

Sorry, I know this doesn't help the OP but may be useful info for those migrating into the system.

Good Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Howie Roll View Post
      I recently replaced my third Micro 4K. This time around I purchased the Asurion warranty through Amazon for $57.99, it guarantees that I'll get three years from my investment which is reasonable given the cost of the camera. Interestingly it's only $57.99 for the UMP G2 as well.

This isn't even the first or second time we're hearing about this kind of service from BM. Given the questionable reliability of BM cameras and their poor service track record I'd consider an aftermarket warranty to be mandatory.

Sorry, I know this doesn't help the OP but may be useful info for those migrating into the system.

Good Luck.
      It's a good shout for sure. Definitely something to consider given the lack of (unfortunate) reliability.

Comment

Originally posted by Taikonaut View Post
        Denny, are you a BMD rep? If not then maybe let BMD respond and give their side of the story because you sounding like a spokesman for them.
        No, just offering my opinion here like everyone else. If this was my $6K Camera, I would be complaining also, and pushing the issue to the next higher level in BMD to get a better resolution.
        Cheers
        Last edited by Denny Smith; 09-25-2019, 01:54 PM.

Comment

One year warranty from these guys too! Even on the highest end Mac Pros. Most electronic companies only give you a year for a standard warranty, if that, it's kinda the norm.
          http://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/...rranty-us.html

I wonder what makes them the highest rated company on the planet for customer service? Maybe the fact that they charge you for the three year extended warranty. /s

Honestly they could give a 5 year warranty and probably have just as many repairs as the one year. Apple easily, and the competition isn't even close, has the highest resale value of computers on the market (personally sold a 2012 mac mini on ebay in 2017, for 100 less than I originally paid). Do they have their fair share of manufacturing goofs? You bet! But 9 out of 10 times they eventually do the right thing.

Maybe BMD should offer an extended warranty for just like the OP's reasons?

I hope you get this sorted out, honestly. But like Howie said, with electronics you have got to find away to get extended warranties or insurance. Especially if it's your work gear, and your lively hood!!!!
          Last edited by Timothy Cook; 09-25-2019, 02:34 PM.
          Vimeo.com/dropbars

https://www.instagram.com/cook_it_off/

Comment

Not much to throw in here except check your local consumer laws. I live in the UK and a few years ago I had a 2k Plasma Screen TV die on me after owning it for just over 2 years - so outside of warranty. I contacted Samsung who wanted to charge me almost the price of a new TV to repair it. I went back at them quoting UK consumer law and stating that I would reasonably expect more than just 2 years lifespan for a 2k TV and that it wasn't 'fit for purpose'. They then repaired the TV for free, replacing the panel, and even covered shipping costs.

Just worth going back to BMD and arguing like this.

Also, do get insurance.

Comment

Originally posted by Howie Roll View Post
              Howie, the Asurion warranty through Amazon, is that for new cameras purchase through Amazon? I just got a UMP G2 a couple months ago. This will be worth looking into.

Comment

I don’t know, you can call them and ask. 1-844-693-6231. Additionally the plan covers breakage so drops and spills are covered as well.

Comment

Originally posted by jambredz View Post
                  Yeh this is terrible customer service IMO. There has to be some way of BMD dealing with this apart from disposing of a 6 grand camera. DO they think this is some kind of throw away cam for that kind of $$ ?! Madness. I dunno man...its stuff like this that makes me say my UMP g2 and P4k may just be my last BMD cams. Love the cams and have been a customer since the first camera.... but if BMD act like this...they are going to lose customers.

Sorry I don't have any advice to help.
                  I hear you, and while two wrongs don't make a right, from my experience, this behavious is the same across all manufacturers. Had a Sony which cost more then by BM at the time develop a fault in the tape mechanism. The local agent hadn't even heard about the camera, and an expensive repair shop totally ruined the tape transport - despite the camcorder being under warranty. A friend had another Sony with a manufacturing defect (faulty IR filter I think), had to send it abroad for repair, while having to rent a camera for paid work in the meantime.

If this happened to me, I'd be furious too - don't get me wrong! But these problems are not unique to BM!

Comment

Some credit cards extend the warranty and will reimburse you for the repair or replacement. This saved me once.

If you paid with a card, you might check.

Comment

I'm hoping, for the OP's sake, that BM makes good on this.

Comment

What BMD is tempting their customers to do is turn in their cameras after 11 months of use with whatever minute problems it has for a service and MOT for a piece of mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                          Some credit cards extend the warranty and will reimburse you for the repair or replacement. This saved me once.

If you paid with a card, you might check.
                          I think only AMEX does this today. The others do not. Check with your card company.

Comment

Originally posted by EYu View Post
                            I think only AMEX does this today. The others do not. Check with your card company.
                            Others do. Like EYu said, check with your card company

Comment

One year warranty is standard. If that is too short for you buy an extended warranty or don't buy the camera. Every single electronic device you buy is a gamble.

Originally posted by markmwilliams View Post
                              Not much to throw in here except check your local consumer laws. I live in the UK and a few years ago I had a 2k Plasma Screen TV die on me after owning it for just over 2 years - so outside of warranty. I contacted Samsung who wanted to charge me almost the price of a new TV to repair it. I went back at them quoting UK consumer law and stating that I would reasonably expect more than just 2 years lifespan for a 2k TV and that it wasn't 'fit for purpose'. They then repaired the TV for free, replacing the panel, and even covered shipping costs.

Just worth going back to BMD and arguing like this.

Also, do get insurance.
                              Unless UK consumer law covers the entire planet you will get no love in most countries. In the United States consumers exist only to be used and abused by corporations. They call it "capitalism".

Comment

I had a very similar experience as the op around 2 months ago. My 2 year old Ursa Mini Pro died on the shoot - first the screen started intermittently flashing, then it went black and then normal again. This behaviour would repeat at irregular, random intervals.
                                I took it to the authorised Blackmagic repair place and after a week got the same response - "Main PCB or sensor issue. Unit is un-economical to repair".
                                Initially my insurer didn't want to cover my claim as a "standard wear and tear". Luckily, technical support engineer that assessed my camera was happy to provide a report that indicated most likely cause of fault as a result of fall.
                                In the end I got my claim approved and got a new cam.
                                That experience taught me that electronic/sensor failures won't be covered by most insurance companies.
                                It seems that $6K camera can be quite disposable in that regard. My old cam works 90% of the time (before the flashing suddenly kicks in) so it was quite dissapointing to hear that it's un-economical to repair.
                                Anyway, got a new cam so can't complain but just wish repairability was a bit better.

Comment

Working...
                                X