Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice - UMP dead after 1.5 years - Support declining to help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey everyone.

Just for pure clarity and openess, this is the exact email:

I just got an update at the same time your message came in and it looks like after swapping the main circuit board we are not able to repair the issues with the sensor. Since the sensor cost more that the entire camera this is beyond economical repair for us. We can go ahead and send it back to you as is or dispose of the camera for you. Please let me know how you would like to proceed
    Appreciate the support. Your suggestions are indeed exactly what I'm trying. I have responded. I guess let's see what they say.

Comment

Since the sensor cost more that the entire camera this is beyond economical repair for us.
      Are they kidding? How can the sensor cost more than the entire camera? I mean, if that had to be an in-warranty repair - they would have to have electronic spare parts stocked anyway - and there is no way those spare parts would cost more than the camera itself.

Comment

Sensor cost .. I learn everyday ..

Originally posted by tremblingwater View Post
        Hey everyone.

Just for pure clarity and openess, this is the exact email:

Appreciate the support. Your suggestions are indeed exactly what I'm trying. I have responded. I guess let's see what they say.
        OK Then .. The Sensor costs more than the Camera ... Well , I Learn Everyday .. Not Easy to Understand ... Of Course , when there is Mass Production ..
        I Could think the Components Costs are Lower ( Same with Automobiles .. ) , but I believe the Designer and Manufacturer should make some kind of " Provision "
        to have some sensors available for repair .. at least for Peace of Mind of the Customers ..

There are not That Many Major Breakdowns on those Cameras , so the Cost for the manufacturer would not be that high , and that would
        be Highly Beneficial for the Customers , which is Always a Very Good Thing for their Image .. and , in the End , is Also Highly Beneficial for the Manufacturer ..

Also , a DEAD SENSOR after one and a half Year of Normal and Cautious Use is not Normal .... That SHOULD NOT HAPPEN ...

There is a " STATE OF THE ART " of things .. as in all Technical Domains .. when that kind of thing happens , it's because of an
        error , an incorrect design , or a Defective Component .. It's not a Normal Behaviour ..

I Hope you'll get a Good Solution for that Sad Problem ..

GOOD LUCK / With my Best Regards from France ..

Mike ..

Comment

Deep down we all know this is the gauntlet that we run with using BMD. Why do we let them get away with it?

A 6K camera dies, you buy another one. You are now 12K down. At that point other cameras are worth looking at.

What if thier is a defect with the sensor or the way they manufacture it? So then, you could end up 3 cameras down the spout....now 18K in.....wow this is just plain crazy.

And its not like BMD is known for solid cameras that rarely if ever fail is it ?........... So you could very easily end up 2 + cameras down over 2 to 3 years. Its risky for sure and buying a camera should not be risky...should it !!

So bottom line is, we all get it here on this forum but its like preaching to the converted. We have to move this message out into the wider camera world.

If you like, we need to start a "BMD camera buyers matter" campaign. The power of Social media. Ignore it at your peril BMD ! But only....ONLY if enough of us make noise out there on the forums/social media platforms.

Wouldn't it be an incredible breath of fresh air to hear Grant address this matter directly in a communique

Comment

It seems like they still don't have a pro camera service department. I'm pretty sure that in warranty service involves just sending out new cameras.

The flip side is that it very well may cost more than the camera is worth to fix it, service bench time plus parts is more than assembly line time plus parts.

I've said it before and will say it again if your business model can't put your camera in profit in six months or less, don't spend more than what you can afford to blow on a hobby. I still have the original Pocket, and luckily it is still going strong. If I do a project that needs it I'll move up to the 4k, but I would only go Ursa if I had a budget big enough to rent Alexa, and the total rental would be more than owning Ursa, production saves money and I get a new camera. Yes absolutely the sensor and related boards should last more than 1.5 years, most of them likely do. When you get stuck with one that doesn't, it hurts. I would never buy a used one, that's for sure.

Comment

Complete bullshit about the sensor costing more than the camera. If BMD does not change this stupid practice I'm def out. I don't care how good the claimed camera is said to be, I aint buying again. Its shameful that loyal customers are being treated this way.
              Darren Scott
              Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

Comment

"Mr Petty Han, suddenly my Ursa Mini Pro failed after 18 months. I want my sensor changed"

Mr Petty Han says "It is not possible"

Last edited by Taikonaut; 09-25-2019, 06:37 AM.

Comment

Just out of interest what are the options here if BMD wouldn't replace. (Now having minor panics about my UMP dying!).

Is there an option for an extended warranty with them? (At cost, like sony etc?)

What about insurance - depending on your insurer obviously, would it be possible to claim for a new camera via that? I guess you could 'drop it' for insurance, right? : )

Comment

BMD told me much the same thing when the SDI and AC plug burned out on my 2.5K. So, after waiting a year, enduring the price drop, I was told after less than a year with the camera to buy another camera. But is was okay because althought I paid 3k for the BMCC, a new one was only 1900...

Comment

Originally posted by pharpsied View Post
                      BMD told me much the same thing when the SDI and AC plug burned out on my 2.5K. So, after waiting a year, enduring the price drop, I was told after less than a year with the camera to buy another camera. But is was okay because althought I paid 3k for the BMCC, a new one was only 1900...
                      Less than a year is still under warranty though
                      Darren Scott
                      Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

Comment

Originally posted by dop16mm View Post

I've said it before and will say it again if your business model can't put your camera in profit in six months or less, don't spend more than what you can afford to blow on a hobby.
                        dop16mm, the point here is, I think, that while we can all come up with ways to look at it, write it off etc.....we should not have to do that with a 6K USD camera.

a $1200 P4K is bad enough if I had to lose one...ouch ! But a 6 thousand USD dollar camera. Not all of us live in the USA and we have to earn a lot more then what $6K represents to an American in order to buy that camera. BMD being Australian know this only too well. Its a lot of local currency to drop if the camera goes BANG on day 366.

It looks like the only thing to do is take the risk (sounds crazy when talking about a new camera doesn't it) or save up some more and buy something else. Sad.

Comment

The OP stated in his title, Support declined to help, which is not entirely true, Supoirt stated the cost of repair would exceed replacement cost! Time was, when using original gear, if the cost of a repair, exceed 1/2 the replacement cost, they you replaced the item, not repair it. Today’s cameras are really not designed to be easily repaired, adding to their repair cost. If you think having to spend $5Kmto get a $5K camera fixed (replaced in this case) is expensive, try buying a $25K Sony Broadcast Camera, and having to spend $10K to repair it 18 months later. I had a second hand Sony ENG camera, and when the internal battery died, one week after its (Battery) 5-year warranty, Sony wanted more $ to replace the battery than I had spent to buy the camera!

So as far as professional use of the gear goes, you replace it and move on. If shooting for a hobby, get an insurance policy for it, to cover such occurrences.

That said, I do agree, the sensor should have lasted longer, but we do not know how many hours the OP had on the camera in 18 months, so we are just expressing uneducated guesses, or supposition as best.
                          Cheers
                          Last edited by Denny Smith; 09-25-2019, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Denny, are you a BMD rep? If not then maybe let BMD respond and give their side of the story because you sounding like a spokesman for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Smith View Post
                              The OP stated in his title, Supoirt declined to help, which is not entirely true, Supoirt stated the cost of repair would exceed rep,accent cost! Time was, when using original gear, if the cost of a repair, exceed 1/2 the replacement cost, they you replaced the item, not repair it. Today’s cameras are really not designed to be easily repaired, adding to their repair cost. If you think having to spend $5Kmto get a $5K camera fixed (replaced in this case) is expensive, try buying a $25K Sony Broadcast Camera, and having to spend $10K to repair it 18 months later. I had a second hand Sony ENG camera, and when the internal battery died, one week after its (Battery) 5-year warranty, Sony wanted more $ to replace the battery than I had spent to buy the camera!

So as far as professional use of the gear goes, you replace it and move on. If shooting for a hobby, get an insurance policy for it, to cover such occurrences.

That said, I do agree, the sensor should have lasted longer, but we do not know how many hours the OP had on the camera in 18 months, so we are just expressing uneducated guesses, or supposition as best.
                              Cheers
                              Hey.

Totally, I guess you're right but it's semantics at that point. I think it's a healthy discussion to have regardless. Again, not throwing my toys out here, just looking for advice.

Hours wise, it's tough to say as BM doesn't offer a tool or info screen but I'd venture to guess it was around the 500 mark given some general calculations.

Comment

Originally posted by M&M's View Post
                                dop16mm, the point here is, I think, that while we can all come up with ways to look at it, write it off etc.....we should not have to do that with a 6K USD camera.

a $1200 P4K is bad enough if I had to lose one...ouch ! But a 6 thousand USD dollar camera. Not all of us live in the USA and we have to earn a lot more then what $6K represents to an American in order to buy that camera. BMD being Australian know this only too well. Its a lot of local currency to drop if the camera goes BANG on day 366.

It looks like the only thing to do is take the risk (sounds crazy when talking about a new camera doesn't it) or save up some more and buy something else. Sad.
                                I am well aware of currency difference, an UMPro body would set me back over $10k after tax in Canada, that's a big bite and I would be fuming mad if it died in 18 months I certainly sympathize. It's why I don't have one, but I wouldn't save up for a $50k Red either. I might do a film every 2 or 3 years at this point in my life, you can't depend that stuff will just work any more. I have 16mm cameras that are over 50 years old that I know will work every time, but the cost of raw stock for a feature length project would be more than buying the latest relatively affordable new camera for each project. If you are working for hire, rent your kit at a rate that gets quick return and have a backup. If it is for passion projects, have realistic expectations relative to what rental would cost you, and get the shoot done before the warranty runs out. There is no camera out there that you can count on working or even getting you work for that matter for a 3-5 year write down, it turns over too fast. I've decided to just stick with my original Pocket until it dies as an artistic choice for my projects. If I happen to get hired to shoot a commercial gig I'll use whatever they want to rent.

Comment

Working...
                                X