No announcement yet.

Tilta Articulating Screen for P4K & P6K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone actually tell me how this voids the warranty? Not conjecture, but actually something from BM that says it'll void the warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by Park Edwards View Post
      Can anyone actually tell me how this voids the warranty? Not conjecture, but actually something from BM that says it'll void the warranty.
      https://documents.blackmagicdesign.c...=1567148400000

Third paragraph makes it clear, "improper use", being foremost among the key phrases.

The warranty won't be the biggest problem though, it will be users destroying their own camera. Even if the installation failure rate is 1 in 20 that's fairly high and what I believe to be a conservative number.

Comment

Well if they want to take the risk and burn their 1300 (for the P4K) or 2500 (for the P6K) if they destroy their own camera, all I can say they deserve it. I guess Tilta thinks there's a bunch of hobbies who are willing to tinker BM cameras or looks at BM cameras as cheap hobby craft - because that's what hobbies do - have the money to tinker around.

Comment

Originally posted by EYu View Post
          I guess Tilta thinks there's a bunch of hobbies who are willing to tinker BM cameras or looks at BM cameras as cheap hobby craft - because that's what hobbies do - have the money to tinker around.
          What can I say: that's exactly me
          Now I have to buy this Tilta thing, you're forcing me XDDDD
          My YouTube channel

Comment

I'd give it a go on one of my bodies for a stripped down unit for better usability. I already made my money back on jobs. If it aids in getting the shot I'm all for tinkering.

Comment

Has Blackmagic come out and said for sure whether or not this voids the warranty yet?

Comment

If you break or brick the camera trying to install this you can be sure you have no warranty. I for sure wouldn't attempt this on the first day of owning a new camera. Maybe after it has paid for itself, sure, or proven no defects, or a year later out of warranty. If there was an installation service that guaranteed the work that might be worth an hour of shop time.

Comment

Originally posted by Howie Roll View Post
                  https://documents.blackmagicdesign.c...=1567148400000

Third paragraph makes it clear, "improper use", being foremost among the key phrases.

The warranty won't be the biggest problem though, it will be users destroying their own camera. Even if the installation failure rate is 1 in 20 that's fairly high and what I believe to be a conservative number.
                  Because it's a bunch of farce. All manufacturers say that. US federal law says you can open your electronics without voiding the warranty, regardless of what the language of that warranty says.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbrycel View Post
                    Has Blackmagic come out and said for sure whether or not this voids the warranty yet?
                    Originally posted by Joshua Helling
                    Originally posted by pnguyen720
                    Tilta is saying that the warranty will not be voided.
                    I guess this would depend on what and how a thing broke.

If the LCD was cracked or damaged due to this, it would void that part of the warranty. If the cable (which is flexible, but i'm not sure how it will handle repeated flexing) snaps and breaks then obviously we couldn't cover that.

But if the part of the camera stopped functioning for reasons unrelated to the mod, I would not give too hard a time about it.
                    Joshua Helling
                    Director of World Wide Support
                    Blackmagic Design Inc.

He further stated, he had concerns about the bending of the video cable shown in the video.
                    Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Park Edwards View Post
                      Because it's a bunch of farce. All manufacturers say that. US federal law says you can open your electronics without voiding the warranty, regardless of what the language of that warranty says.
                      Not true. Warranties of merchantability is disputed at the designated "State" specified in the manufacturer's warranty. If there is such Fed law, please post the link.

Comment

Originally posted by EYu View Post
                        Not true. Warranties of merchantability is disputed at the designated "State" specified in the manufacturer's warranty. If there is such Fed law, please post the link.
                        https://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2011...ermarket-parts

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vic...rs-illegal-ftc

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magn...s_Warranty_Act

It applies to all warranties, including electronics.

Comment

Originally posted by paulrossjones View Post
                          This mod is cool IMO, and what BM should have done at the start (along with designing with a larger battery).

But its quite a process to do. I think I would attempt it, but it would be a bit of a mission. Heres a video to show what's involved-

https://www.bilibili.com/video/av62409810/

Paul
                          Thanks for the vid! It looks as difficult / easy as taking apart an iPad. I'm not the most handy guy, but I did manage to change a screen on my own iPad, detaching the glued front while using a hairdrier to melt the glue, and holding firm so as not to truncate any of the cables was challenging, but not overly difficult - you need patience and a firm hand.

When I purchase a 6k I'm most definitely going for this upgrade straight away, the build in M2 SSD caddy is worth the hassle alone. I mostly shoot events and travel like videos - the least attention I attract, the better.... so USB drives hanging from the camera or external monitors are a no no for me....

Comment

Repair and modification aren’t the same thing.

Comment

I don’t get it, why risk damaging your camera for something a sub-$300 monitor can achieve? What’s the point?

Comment

The screen is good, big and has all the touch controls. It's just more convenient.
                                Álex Montoya on IMDB
                                https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0600257/

Comment

Working...
                                X