Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Veydra, independent lens manufacturer, closes up shop.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veydra, independent lens manufacturer, closes up shop.

In a heartbreaking but not unexpected announcement last night, lens manufacturer Veydra announced that they are closing their doors. Ryan and the team did tremendous work putting these lenses together and I know that this can't have been easy for them. I plan on using mine for as long as MFT cameras are still available, and I sincerely encourage everyone who has the opportunity to do the same.

As someone who backed them in the Kickstarter campaign, I want to thank Ryan for the hard work that he and his team put in. I won't forget it and I hope that filmmakers and audiences don't either.

They made the best lenses at reasonable prices.
    You have a collectors item.
    Maybe in some form they can be resurrected.
    I think m4/3 might be an endangered species though.
    I love the smaller lenses, but I really like bigger sensors.
    And now most of the m4/3 bodies are as big as regular mounts, so why not have the larger sensor?
    Just for small glass?
    Gimbal work?
    The dynamics of the whole removeable lens camera industry be it stills or video is in the middle of stormy times.

Comment

So did Mieke (or whatever their brand it) got the license/rights to produce the "Veydra" copies?

Comment

Originally posted by EYu View Post
        So did Mieke (or whatever their brand it) got the license/rights to produce the "Veydra" copies?
        I sincerely doubt it. Ryan Avery even referenced a knockoff brand out there, which I have a suspicion is Mieke. I haven't really heard great things about Mieke either, so there's that...

[Edit] Turns out I am misinformed. In a post over on RedUser, Phil Holland (who was in some way involved in the construction of the Veydra Mini-Primes) claims that the Meike lenses are exactly the same as the Veydras and has implied that there's something sinister going on. A huge bummer tbh.
        Last edited by Alex.Mitchell; 08-31-2019, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Man this really sucks :/

Tonight I pour one out for Veydra.

Comment

The King is dead. Long live the Emperor.
            The Blackmagic Design Cinema Camera - what it says on the box!

Comment

Well, at least we have a viable alternative with the SLR Magic MicoPrimes.

Comment

So if those Mieke mouse lenses are "exactly" the same as Veydra and selling at fraction of the price then its a win for consumers.

Comment

Not a win for the guy that developed, marketed and launched them. And in the long term I suspect for us as consumers because the development stops with the current IP.

JB

Comment

Yes, Ryan Avery and Veydra users are the losers here! I will not be supporting Mieke at all.
                    Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by John Brawley View Post
                      Not a win for the guy that developed, marketed and launched them. And in the long term I suspect for us as consumers because the development stops with the current IP.

JB
                      You might be right John, but then again Meike is a lens manufacturer and they have announced the release of cine focal lengths beyond the original Veydra line due in late 2019/early 2020.

And Denny, although I admire your loyalty, enough of the virtue signalling, you've sold your Veydras and moved onto another system.

Comment

Yes, kind of wish I had not sold my Veydra. I see an announcement for the 12mm, available 16mm and 25mm and the 35mm. What other Cine (Veydra) lenses are you referring to? I do not see the 19mm, 50, or 85mm Ryan had in the Veydra line. But you are right, I am moving on here...

Comment

7,12,16,25,35,50,70 and 85mm cinema lenses are slated to be all available by Q1 2020.

https://www.provideocoalition.com/me...lenses-coming/

Comment

Ah thanks, missed that announcement. Ryan had planned an 8mm, but it was never was released though. Traditional MFT Cine formats, based on Cine 35mm focal,lengths traditionally used, work out to be: 9, 10, 12, 14, 17.5, 25, 42, 50, 67 and 90mm. So a 8, 10, 12, 16/18, 25, 42 and 50 line up works, with 67 and 90 for long shots or tight close ups. A 35mm (I had the Veydra 35, hardly used it, and a 19/20mm works better for me to fill the gap between 16mm and 25mm, with a 42,5 for closeup/tight shots. But again, this is just me. I will be surprised if Meike actually gets a good working 8mm with little distortion released, that matches the IQ of the 12 and 16mm, which were my favorite Veydras, that I used the most. If I get another MFT Cine Prime, it would be a 16mm and 25mm Veydra, or the SLR Magic 18mm and 25mm MicroPrime, which the later is probably the route I will go. I have zooms to cover the rest.
                            Cheers
                            Last edited by Denny Smith; 09-10-2019, 09:38 PM.

Comment

It's just a matter of time we will see less of the MFT mount and sensors smaller than an S35. So we'll probably won't miss it much.

Comment

Working...
                              X