6k full frame vs 6k S35

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShawnMi View Post
    I think it's common to use full frame as the reference format when talking about crop factor, but it's not a rule. Because it's a calculation, it seems more useful to say "Compared to format X, format Y has a crop factor of Z". In this case, "full frame" isn't a helpful reference for people who aren't photographers and haven't used DSLRs for video/film work.

Ablecine developed a pretty useful tool for comparing the field of view of different sensors based on size and recording resolution. You can compare any camera/resolution in the tool and it outputs FoV and crop factor.

https://www.abelcine.com/articles/bl...ne-fov-tool-20

Shawn
    I actually made an app on my phone that does this. I can put in a camera and a lens and see what focal length would achieve the same angle of view. It's very handy when dealing with a variety of cameras and I never have to think about crop factors.

It's also got some handy calculators for other things I might need. Like how many stops between two ISOs, f-stops, or shutter angles.

Comment

pCAM PRO does FOV conversions too. It’s a Swiss Army knife app that everyone should have. Seriously.

No association other than being a customer since they made them for when they ran on palm portables before app stores.

JB

Comment

Originally posted by RyLo View Post
        It makes 0 sense to talk about what a windowed area is relative to 135 when the camera is Super 35. We're not talking about different cameras here, it's the same camera lol
        I agree 100%. My original post was just me complaining about how YouTube personalities keep claiming that “a 2.8k 3x crop is unusable.” Everyone today compares everything to full frame, even if they don’t use full frame. These “reviewers” on YouTube talk as if anything less than full frame is somehow a lesser format.

3x crop of full frame is S16, and S16 is in no way an unusable format.

Comment

Originally posted by RyLo View Post
          I actually made an app on my phone that does this. I can put in a camera and a lens and see what focal length would achieve the same angle of view. It's very handy when dealing with a variety of cameras and I never have to think about crop factors.

It's also got some handy calculators for other things I might need. Like how many stops between two ISOs, f-stops, or shutter angles.
          Very nice!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
            I agree 100%. My original post was just me complaining about how YouTube personalities keep claiming that “a 2.8k 3x crop is unusable.” Everyone today compares everything to full frame, even if they don’t use full frame. These “reviewers” on YouTube talk as if anything less than full frame is somehow a lesser format.

3x crop of full frame is S16, and S16 is in no way an unusable format.
            I know you weren't talking directly to me, but I didn't catch that you were being facetious. I agree with you completely. :-)

Shawn

Comment

Working...
            X