Why I'm glad I ordered Blackmagic Pocket 6K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by core_50 View Post
    Don't forget that 2.8k is window mode only.
    You just bust his bubble

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainHook View Post
      A quick way to get a rough idea of minimum read out speed is look at the max frame rate for a crop - Alexa Mini can do 200fps. 1000ms/200fps = 5ms read out speed minimum (as in slowest it can be) needed for that frame rate.
      1000ms/120fps = 8.3ms which we do slightly faster on the P6K at 7.98ms for the 2.8k 120fps. The 2K crop mode on the URSA Mini Pro G2 is 3.16ms (300fps = 3.33ms minimum) and 7.59ms for the full 4.6K (faster than P6K 2.8 crop) - these numbers for the G2 are on my link above on the page prior.
      All things considerd the G2 is better value for money than P6K in my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by Taikonaut View Post
        You just bust his bubble

Not at all, I knew 2.8k was not for the full sensor - it's roughly on the same lines as the original pocket and the original cinema camera - so it's most definitely not a show stopper! And the Alexa's resolution is about 2.8k, so if not faster, it's definitely in the top-tier of cinema cameras. Considering the Alexa's five figure price tag, plus the extra fee to unlock high frame rates, the 6k's asking price is a gift from Kangaroo Land! Again, the real game changer for me is being able to ramp up or change the shutter angle at will in post - just as easily as exposure and colour can be adjusted today!

The Ursa Mini is undoubtedly even better, but it's far bigger, more expensive and needs heavy duty V-lock batteries. For me, even $2.5k for the 6k is a stretch, and need to save up for it, but it's looking more and more worth it by the minute!
        Last edited by SottoTerra; 08-14-2019, 04:24 AM.

Comment

Did you not say it beats all other cameras?

Comment

Originally posted by EYu View Post
            Where did you purchase it from?
            I purchased from Adorama immediately following the conference.

Comment

Originally posted by SottoTerra View Post
              ...Again, the real game changer for me is being able to ramp up or change the shutter angle at will in post - just as easily as exposure and colour can be adjusted today!
              You can change the shutter angle in post? Where is this advertised? I have never heard of this and I'm not sure how this is possible.

Comment

Originally posted by spencerfre View Post
                I purchased from Adorama immediately following the conference.
                I just pre-ordered from them. I should be mindful of the packaging - making sure that the box is still plastic sealed when I get it. I always have problems with the quality of their shipping. However I've had to shift to them because B&H started charging sales tax on online orders and I think it is a ploy for you to enroll in their store card (and they take off the sales tax) which I have no interest of doing.

Comment

Originally posted by samuel s View Post
                  You can change the shutter angle in post? Where is this advertised? I have never heard of this and I'm not sure how this is possible.
                  Me too. Is this new in Resolve 16?

Comment

Hes probably talking about the ISO in BRAW, there was no information about variable Shutter-Angle.

Comment

Originally posted by Light&Color View Post
                      Hes probably talking about the ISO in BRAW, there was no information about variable Shutter-Angle.
                      If so, they are two completely different things and ISO has always been there in RAW (CinemaDNG or BRAW).

Comment

Perhaps they are talking about that tech in which you shoot at 120 fps 360 degree shutter and then you can convert to various frame rates and shutter angles. I forget what this is called but I remember it looking good.

Comment

Blackmagic - I love your cameras but I don't love your quality control. I'll gladly pay more for a higher level of QC.

Comment

I don't think I've ever had a QC issue with Blackmagic. I'm 6 cameras in at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Pultzar2 View Post
                              Blackmagic - I love your cameras but I don't love your quality control. I'll gladly pay more for a higher level of QC.
                              Where is the like button?

Comment

Originally posted by Adam E View Post
                                I don't think I've ever had a QC issue with Blackmagic. I'm 6 cameras in at this point.
                                This was my 5th BM camera purchase so I was a bit shocked myself.

Comment

Working...
                                X