Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why I won't be ordering the Blackmagic Pocket 6K?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kristian Lam View Post
    Blackmagic RAW Player for Windows is in the v6.5 update which you can download now.

Thank you Kristian, that's good to know.

Shawn

Comment

Originally posted by Taikonaut View Post
      Unless you want to keep using EF lenses design for dSLR along with its limitation as not truelly cinema lenses it may do well but for those of us who make use of a variety of lenses EF only mount is not much of an option.
      I recon at least 90% of all Ursas are used with EF Mount - looks like EF is pretty much an option for most folks.
      Even most REDs I have used came with EF mount.
      Blog: http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

Comment

I just got back from vacation and found this. Here are my thoughts on this new p6k camera:

* It's awesome. Seriously: 6k S35 RAW with 13 stops of DR for under $3k. Unbelievable. Remember "3k for $3k"? XDDDD

* It's not for me: no DR improvement over my p4k, I don't need 6k, and EF mount and S35 sensor don't match my lens set (I have a set of vintage FF primes that are too long for S35, some E-mount APS-C lenses that won't work here, and some m43 lenses that won't work here; If you have the Sigma 18-35mm and a Canon 50mm, then you're golden, but that's not me).

* I fear the data rates: I just received a new 2TB SSD this morning, my 256+256+128GB cfast cards are barely enough for a weekend shoot on my p4k, and I'm using up backup HHDs like crazy since I got the p4k. Doubling the data rate would make all of this even worse. It's not just twice the money for the camera, it's also twice the money for the storage, and that's already running too high for my taste now.

* The best thing about the p6k is that it's putting a lot of pressure on every other camera maker. Bring out another 4k 30fps 8-bit body and we'll laugh you out of the stage.
        Last edited by Samuel H; 08-12-2019, 03:06 AM.
        My YouTube channel

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel H View Post
          I just got back from vacation and found this. Here are my thoughts on this new p6k camera:
          * It's awesome. Seriously: 6k S35 RAW with 13 stops of DR for under $3k. Unbelievable. Remember "3k for $3k"? XDDDD
          And this 6k is 50 fps!!!
          no DR improvement over my p4k
          There seems to be slight DR improvement, it's about 0,3 stops judging from the ISO/DR chart which Blackmagic had released
          I don't need 6k
          Almost no one needed 4k back in the days
          It's not just twice the money for the camera, it's also twice the money for the storage.
          True, and I would spend four times more for the storage in case of 8k
          The best thing about the p6k is that it's putting a lot of pressure on every other camera maker. Bring out another 4k 30fps 8-bit body and we'll laugh you out of the stage.
          Yes! And more - I think the next Blackmagic camera should at least be 6K now, I'm expecting something like ursa mini pro 6k/8k

Comment

The battery life on the P6K is of a concern to me at the moment. Although for pro gigs I will likely rigged it with a V-mount battery solution, I use my P4K with the minimal setup when I am traveling and personal projects and I know how much battery I have to swap in the course of even just an hour or two. I think the battery grip with 2 LP-E6 batts will allow for a slightly longer shoot for a minimal setup so I am going to wait for that to come out and see how it works with the P4K, and then make my decision to also get the P6K. I just don't know when BMD will be making the battery grip available. It's been on pre-order for the longest time.

Comment

Sorry to hijack this thread a bit, but I so wished they would've released an anamorphic update for the micro cinema...

Comment

It's been said many times: it can't be done, that area of the sensor is not turned on in hardware, it would be a sensor update. Maybe G2...
                My YouTube channel

Comment

My pocket 6K has arrived.....someone please explain to me why BRAW isn't available for HD recording or 4K recording? That makes the pocket 4K the more appealing camera to me.

Comment

Originally posted by unomas View Post
                    My pocket 6K has arrived.....someone please explain to me why BRAW isn't available for HD recording or 4K recording? That makes the pocket 4K the more appealing camera to me.
                    So you didn't look at any websites with the recording specs, bought the camera, and come here and ask that question.
                    I looked at one very popular website 3 seconds ago that clearly shows 4k and Prores only.
                    I'm shaking my head.

Comment

• Originally posted by unomas View Post
                      Braw in 4k or HD would crop the sensor way too much to be useful.

Comment

• Indeed: if you want any sort of RAW, it has to be a pixel-by-pixel readout, which means 4k would crop back to p4k sensor size. You can do either 6k BRAW or 4k prores. As I said above, I fear the datarates on this thing...
                        My YouTube channel

Comment

• Originally posted by RAWlover View Post
                          So you didn't look at any websites with the recording specs, bought the camera, and come here and ask that question.
                          I looked at one very popular website 3 seconds ago that clearly shows 4k and Prores only.
                          I'm shaking my head.
                          I also bought the camera within a few minutes of it being available for sale knowing it would be sold out within 24 hours of purchase. Without feedback on what customers want, companies won't make changes, voicing concerns about these things is how companies improve their product lines. Shake your head, customers who don't blow sunshine up companies butts are the reason people get better products at the end of the day Cheers.

Comment

• 4K DCI and HD in BRAW will be welcomed on the P6K. Might be a longshot but will be a good addition on the next firmware.

Comment

• Originally posted by unomas View Post
                              I also bought the camera within a few minutes of it being available for sale knowing it would be sold out within 24 hours of purchase. Without feedback on what customers want, companies won't make changes, voicing concerns about these things is how companies improve their product lines. Shake your head, customers who don't blow sunshine up companies butts are the reason people get better products at the end of the day Cheers.
                              Tell that to Apple and Canon.

Comment

• Originally posted by j_walk83 View Post
                                Tell that to Apple and Canon.
                                Ain't that the truth.

But don't forget to tell Blackmagic about their poor quality control.

Comment

Working...
                                X