Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why I won't be ordering the Blackmagic Pocket 6K?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In terms of value for money I think most people here is comparing the new 6k camera with the 4k camera and not cameras outside of Blackmagic.

Video examples appear to show the BMPCC 6K is noisier than the BMPCC 4k. We need to see a side by side comparison and with and without Speed Booster.

Comment

Originally posted by John Brawley View Post
      It's an EF mount super 35 pocket cinema camera. That's not existed before in BMD's lineup.

It's not an upgrade. It's not being sold as one. It's a different tier camera based on the same concept.

By the way being a larger sensor meant it now goes to 6K.

It's freaking cheap at $2495.

EF mount RAW ProRes cFast / USC-C / SD media shooting 6K. What else is there really that even comes close that you can buy right now ?

It might suck for you, but i think there's a lot of Canon EF lens owners out there doing fist pumps...

You're looking at it as an upgrade and not seeing the value compared to what you have now. Imagine all those EF mount lens owners out there.....now they have a native cinema camera that shoots RAW to a bunch of affordable media for cheap...

JB
      JB, I didn't say it suck... just saying it's a bit steep but if you read the second part of what I said, I said that this was a muted debate to have so just have to "suck up" to the price since I want it. You have misread what I was saying.

Comment

4k --> 6k is actually a massive bump in data rates.

It's something like 2.4X the data. The files aren't just a little bigger, that's more than double the data rate.

DOUBLE the data.

JB

Comment

Originally posted by EYu View Post
          JB, I didn't say it suck... just saying it's a bit steep but if you read the second part of what I said, I said that this was a muted debate to have so just have to "suck up" to the price since I want it. You have misread what I was saying.
          Ha. Well you're making a statement with the thread title and it's so far had the most responses of the day !

I just think the shoulder shruggers are mostly P4K owners that are kind of already spoiled (in a good way) by the lower cost value proposition of the P4K. It don't seem like much of a difference.

But if you don't own a P4K and you've got a bunch of EF glass and you're not interested in mFT cameras then it's a pretty exciting day....

JB

Comment

Computer says no. Seriously before ordering make sure your computer can handle it if you don't want to figure on workstation upgrades as well. I'm not exactly on a workstation class machine, mid range 2017 27" iMac but it can handle 4k and 4.6k no problem even from spinning disks. The braw speed test says it will choke on 6k past 30p and 8k no way. I haven't downloaded footage yet as my internet is really slow, will have to go visit my moms fibre connection, but would expect the speed test to be telling.

Will stick with my plan of getting a pair of P4k's in the near future. They will fit with my style and be more than good enough for my small personal films for years to come I think.

Comment

I think John's point on existing P4K users is right.

We have two and use them constantly and so far without a single glitch.

The addition of Braw (we tend to shoot everything in Q5) has also made acquisiton and post production really fast and brought new life to existing systems.

It's all good. BM marches on.

Comment

Ran the BRaw test on my late 2013 dust bin Mac Pro 6 core. 6k the CPU would be fine in normal frame rates but not anything 30fps or over. Metal is fine including 8k at HFS except Braw 3:1
                I will of course upgrade my CPU and RAM in anticipation of 8k but would it be 8, 10 or 12 cores?

Comment

But if you don't own a P4K and you've got a bunch of EF glass and you're not interested in mFT cameras then it's a pretty exciting day....

JB
                  Untill they ran the BRaw test and find that their computer "can't handle the truth"

Comment

Originally posted by Taikonaut View Post
                    Ran the BRaw test on my late 2013 dust bin Mac Pro 6 core. 6k the CPU would be fine in normal frame rates but not anything 30fps or over. Metal is fine including 8k at HFS except Braw 3:1
                    I will of course upgrade my CPU and RAM in anticipation of 8k but would it be 8, 10 or 12 cores?
                    I'm a bit confused re the CPU vs metal issue as I thought Resolve did most of the heavy lifting in the gpu these days. Still hoping to download the test footage to play to find out. I would never be more than a 24p timeline. Which factor effects the ability to stack multi cam timelines?

Comment

Well, the app is only available for Mac OS. I'm on a Windows system as well as many others. I'm confident that I have the hardware to handle it but it's good to run and see what the benchmark is with the app. When is the Windows version coming out?

Comment

Dunno about that.

m43 is the only open format. L mount isn't. E mount isn't. It locks you in to one or two brands of camera. You can't buy any e mount camera that isn't made by Sony. So far Leica aren't letting anyone else play in L mount aside from Panasonic, whom they have a history of co-development with...

If you want the most open format for mounting the largest possible number of lenses, then m43 is it.
                        I'll take your word for it. I have never thought about the m43 mount. My comment was about the m43 SENSOR SIZE. m43 mount is not synonymous with m43 sensor size. Common mistake. JVC has a camera that combines a s35 sensor with a m43 mount.

Of course m43 has been "dying" for years. I seem to recall a great series of threads on DPreview about it a few years ago....
                        The life of lenses is measured in decades. m43 size sensors could be still in popular cameras for a few more years. Doesn't mean you won't be stuck with useless optics in 10 years. I really don't have thousands of dollars lying around to replicate my entire lens line up again.

Comment

It's an EF mount super 35 pocket cinema camera. That's not existed before in BMD's lineup.

It's not an upgrade. It's not being sold as one. It's a different tier camera based on the same concept.

By the way being a larger sensor meant it now goes to 6K.

It's freaking cheap at $2495.

EF mount RAW ProRes cFast / USC-C / SD media shooting 6K. What else is there really that even comes close that you can buy right now ?

JB
                          The mounts are one thing BM gets right.

Panasonic L mount. No thank you.

Sigma L mount. No thank you.

They'll get a few more bucks from higher profit margin L lenses but they won't get a camera sale from me.

I have BM cameras partly because they do m4/3 and Canon lenses. Of which I have plenty of.

It's a no brainer.

I hope the lens mount doesn't flex under certain conditions on this body.

Other than that this is a great addition to their line up.

Comment

EF mount is lame. why not keep it m4/3 or even the EOS R? Just limits the possibilities of using different lenses.

Comment

They could easily put this sensor in the MFT body. ZCam is planning to make that option available on the super35 model they are coming out with. It would have to be limited to 4k resolutions when using electronic mft lenses, but there are lots of manual lenses that cover super35 as well as all adapted glass. Speed booster would do true full frame. MFT can adapt to EF and PL. I get EF native for those guys but for a cinema camera a universal shallow mount would be much ore useful.

Since I can't afford to get this one right away, I hope they'll see the light and make that option available down the line.

Comment

Originally posted by EYu View Post
                                Well, the app is only available for Mac OS. I'm on a Windows system as well as many others. I'm confident that I have the hardware to handle it but it's good to run and see what the benchmark is with the app. When is the Windows version coming out?
                                "Soon"... maybe around the same time as the BRAW player for Windows. I'm not holding my breath. :-)

Shawn

Comment

Working...
                                X