Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why I won't be ordering the Blackmagic Pocket 6K?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Taikonaut View Post
    If its the same price as the BMPCC 4K I might consider but not twice the price.
    TBH had the 4k and 6k both came out the same time at their respective prices I would have got the 4k.
    I agree the price is a bit steep for [what is] kind of a sensor upgrade (well I won't debate what else). Probably should have went for $1995 which is closer to the price of a P4K + Metabones. But this is a muted debate at this point and just suck up the $2495 price.

Comment

The BMPCC 6K should have had faster frame rate options, maybe not G2 level but somewhere in between that and BMPCC 4K say 80-100 fps at higher resolution and 120-200 fps at 1080p and 14 stops of DR. It might then be a $3,000 camera but that would make more sense.

Comment

Unusual for BMD to push the BMPCC 6K out now but it make sense to make way for the 8K LF announcement at NAB next year.

Comment

I waited on buying both my 2.5K and my 4.6K camera to let them sort out the QC issues, but as fast as they are churning out new models these days, I think I'm gonna try to be an early adopter of the 6K to maximize the rental income window. It's already a crowded market out here, and with each new camera, the market rental price on old models drops pretty fast, so I'm thinking of jumping on this one quick, and get it paid for within the first 6-12 months, before the URSA Mini 6K, or whatever next new fangled camera will be, drops.

Comment

Originally posted by EYu View Post
            I agree the price is a bit steep for [what is] kind of a sensor upgrade (well I won't debate what else). Probably should have went for $1995 which is closer to the price of a P4K + Metabones. But this is a muted debate at this point and just suck up the $2495 price.
            Compressed raw shooting, 13 stops DR, S35mm, 6K camera.

Look how far BMD pushed the boundaries that people are complaining about such a camera being $2.5K. That price is absurdly cheap, pls remember what the game was before BMD.

Comment

Originally posted by misterkofa View Post
              I would image the 4K taught them a few things. And they have ample experience with the Super 35 format so I think the cameraís good.

Iím getting it for sure but not to shoot at 6k. If the 4K mode is full sensor which I imagine then Iím good.
              Wouldnít the bmpcc4k with EF speedbooster do the same thing if not using 6k? Unless the sensor has a different look, which iíd be curious to see side by side comparisons.

Comment

"The reason why we announced the Pocket Cinema Camera Grip for September," says Blackmagic President Dan May, "is because we knew we really needed it for this 6K camera."

Worse than 4K?

Comment

Originally posted by Taikonaut View Post
                  Unusual for BMD to push the BMPCC 6K out now but it make sense to make way for the 8K LF announcement at NAB next year.
                  Yeah, FF+ 8k is where things are heading. M43 sensor size is only going to be for drones and action cams in a few years. Even Panasonic saw the writing on the wall.

Originally posted by stip View Post
                  Compressed raw shooting, 13 stops DR, S35mm, 6K camera.

Look how far BMD pushed the boundaries that people are complaining about such a camera being $2.5K. That price is absurdly cheap, pls remember what the game was before BMD.
                  What other affordable raw shooting cameras are there?! Z Cam E2 is $1995. It is m43 and "only" 4k.

I am forced to agree. Who wouldn't pay $500 more for s35, 6k, full DaVinci Resolve, 5 inch screen, polished OS, proven company, etc?

Comment

It's an EF mount super 35 pocket cinema camera. That's not existed before in BMD's lineup.

It's not an upgrade. It's not being sold as one. It's a different tier camera based on the same concept.

By the way being a larger sensor meant it now goes to 6K.

It's freaking cheap at $2495.

EF mount RAW ProRes cFast / USC-C / SD media shooting 6K. What else is there really that even comes close that you can buy right now ?

It might suck for you, but i think there's a lot of Canon EF lens owners out there doing fist pumps...

You're looking at it as an upgrade and not seeing the value compared to what you have now. Imagine all those EF mount lens owners out there.....now they have a native cinema camera that shoots RAW to a bunch of affordable media for cheap...

JB

Comment

Originally posted by VidShooter View Post
                      Yeah, FF+ 8k is where things are heading. M43 sensor size is only going to be for drones and action cams in a few years. Even Panasonic saw the writing on the wall.
                      Dunno about that.

m43 is the only open format. L mount isn't. E mount isn't. It locks you in to one or two brands of camera. You can't buy any e mount camera that isn't made by Sony. So far Leica aren't letting anyone else play in L mount aside from Panasonic, whom they have a history of co-development with...

If you want the most open format for mounting the largest possible number of lenses, then m43 is it.

Of course m43 has been "dying" for years. I seem to recall a great series of threads on DPreview about it a few years ago....

JB

Comment

Originally posted by innerspark View Post
                        Nice to see BMD keeping the industry competitive with releases such as this. The pocket 4k was a nice upgrade from the original 2.5k but I wont be needing 6k any time soon. Still looking for more DR.

Edit - just noticed the different DR chart on the 6k. Far more balanced distribution., and practically half above and below at 640. I often shoot 1000 on the p4k for this. Especially in high key exteriors. Hmmm....
                        How do you find the noise at 1000?

Comment

Originally posted by John Brawley View Post

Of course m43 has been "dying" for years. I seem to recall a great series of threads on DPreview about it a few years ago....

JB
                          So many people have invested so much money into m4/3rds by now. It will take a lot to get them all to dump their lens collections.
                          Ironically, recently a lot of people have been waxing about how the OG Pocket is preferable to the Pocket 4K.

Comment

JB I'm also doing fist pump with the new Metabones BMPCC 4k speed booster for my EF lenses. I welcome higher resolution but its not 8k and add little else. I agree its not an upgrade but a sideway option.

Comment

I personally felt the image and motion cadence of the original pocket was much more cinematic than the pocket 4k. I think what Black Magic Design is doing is giving everyone the features they crave tech wise (Raw + resolutions) at rock bottom prices while removing some of the characteristics that made their earlier cameras so amazing. They realize that if they want different camera tiers, they can't have their $1,295 camera have the same motion quality, image quality, and dynamic range as their top of the line camera (Ursa Mini Pro G2). They're doing the same thing Canon is doing, they're just doing it in a different way. They found a way to have tiers without gimping the tech specs much, just the motion and image characteristics of the video.

Having said that, I ordered the 6K yesterday and should have it Monday I assume. It will be interesting to see if the motion cadence in 24p looks less videoish and more cinematic as it should. If not, I'll probably go G2 at the end of the day knowing I'll get that cinematic motion cadence with their "best" camera.

Comment

This price really only seems rough compared to the P4k, it is comparable to gh5s, a7s. This sensor or very similar will be in the super35 ZCam for $4000, red Komodo for $6000 I think kinefinity is more than that equipped. It is a steal for what it is. I may yet just go for the 4k as that's what I've been planning for, and I want 2 but it gives me pause to consider the options. Maybe I'll just stick with original Pocket a while longer, try to get a second for cheap. Make super16 HD an artistic choice rather than limitation lol. Kids are shooting super8 again ffs.

Comment

Working...
                                X