Tilta P4K Cage clone for dirt cheap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tilta P4K Cage clone for dirt cheap

Stumbled upon this new cage on Ebay. Really nice price.

Looks to be an almost exact replica of the Tilta cage, aside from the placement of some of the holes near the ports.

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283530520006

Originally posted by redshift View Post
    Stumbled upon this new cage on Ebay. Really nice price.
    Tilta cage is $99.00. This is $69.99. I'm not going to buy a Chinese knock off on Ebay in order to save $30 on a $1,300 camera... or a $1,000 camera if you back out the price of Resolve.

There is no need to elect an ignorant crazy president. Just stop buying knock off Chinese crap.

Besides Tilta is putting out all sorts of compatible accessories. They look like they are really supporting the camera. Just buy their stuff and rest assured you will have compatibility.

Thanks anyway. It is nice to know what is going on out there.

Comment

I was going to reply something similar. The base cage of the tilts system is no that much more, it is all the accessories for that gets steep. If you want to add any of that stuff down the line there is no point cheaping out and risking not being compatible.

Comment

Originally posted by VidShooter View Post
        Tilta cage is $99.00. This is $69.99. I'm not going to buy a Chinese knock off on Ebay in order to save $30 on a $1,300 camera... or a $1,000 camera if you back out the price of Resolve.

There is no need to elect an ignorant crazy president. Just stop buying knock off Chinese crap.

Besides Tilta is putting out all sorts of compatible accessories. They look like they are really supporting the camera. Just buy their stuff and rest assured you will have compatibility.

People have been buying smallrig equipment for years from China. It's only $10 more. Aluminum is aluminum. Politics is irrelevant and annoying. Keep it on CNN's comment section

Comment

Tilta,AFAIK, is a Chinese company, so a Chinese knock off by a Chinese company is, to some degree, poetic justice (although you probably won't hear them bitching like some U.S manufacturers, who having shifted their production to China and shafted their U.S employees, struggle to defend what is sometimes dubious international IP). Just sayin'.
          The Blackmagic Design Cinema Camera - what it says on the box!

Comment

Nationalistic comments backfired classic style
            Comeone Vidshooter, show me a Tilta Pocket 4k cage that is not a "Chinese crap"?

Comment

Why save 30 Bucks ... for a 1300 camera (with lens and other stuff even more)?

If you are going to use the camerea often you have to handle the cage every single time. It is
              is your hands, it has to feel good. You are mounting things to it. It is super important that everything fits.
              I choose 8 SInn because I need the holes on the top. It is expensive... but I am going to use
              the camera for the next 3, 4, 5, years. maybe more. So I donīt care if is spend 200 Bucks vs. 100 Bucks.
              I need a "round cage" which feels good when I am holding it.

Comment

Originally posted by GeranSimpson View Post
                People have been buying smallrig equipment for years from China. It's only $10 more. Aluminum is aluminum. Politics is irrelevant and annoying. Keep it on CNN's comment section
                As someone with an engineering degree in mechanical engineering I can tell you that Aluminum isn't Aluminum. If you would make your cage out of pure Aluminum, you would be in for a surprise. Only Aluminum alloys increase the strength of the material and there are many different alloys. For example the tensile strength of the best alloys is 3-5 times higher than pure Aluminum.
                For higher grade Al alloys the hardening time is much longer than for lower grade. It takes some technical effort to make the heat treatment as evenly as possible. Brinell hardness can be 6-7 times higher than pure Aluminum.
                Then surface treatment by anodizing makes the surface more scratch resistant - a thicker layer takes longer and is more difficult to produce.
                And at last manufacturing a cage to tight tolerance is much more expensive than to relaxed tolerances.

So no: Aluminum isn't Aluminum.

Comment

I thought Tilta WAS the cheap alternative cage already...
                  Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
                  Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
                  Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Comment

I use a lot of SmallRig gear and generally like it a lot, but agree that all aluminum isn't the same. My SmallRig Manfrotto 501 plate (longer one, maybe 7") has to be tightened just right on the bottom of my Ursa Mini Pro or it will flex and not slide into the VCT shoulder plate, because of the flex.

My buddy's Zacuto VCT plate doesn't have this problem--it's extremely rigid and slides like butter into the mount.

Comment

Originally posted by S_Berger View Post
                      Why save 30 Bucks ... for a 1300 camera (with lens and other stuff even more)?
                      The way I look at it, if they come from the same factory and/or quality is similar, then you're also not losing anything by saving that $30. Unless you want the name "Tilta" on the front of your cage.

I ordered both Smallrig and Tilta cages, and decided to keep the Tilta cage and sell the Smallrig one to a friend. I liked how it felt in the hands, and I wasn't a fan of Smallrig's HDMI/USB-C lock.

I just thought this was an interesting thing to post. Not really suggesting people should buy it over other cages because of the price. I think the more options/competition, the better

Comment

Originally posted by Taikonaut View Post
                        Nationalistic comments backfired classic style
                        Comeone Vidshooter, show me a Tilta Pocket 4k cage that is not a "Chinese crap"?
                        Nice job! I mean why bother reading the OP and the rebuttal to the OP when you can just cherry pick two words completely out of context. I guess the "knockoff" part and the bit about "ebay" would ruin the narrative.

When you show me the blatant knockoffs Titla is making and drop shipping on ebay from a shady industrial address we will talk.

So because I don't want drug dealers hanging out on the corner of my block that means I'm criticizing ALL legitimate US pharmacies selling drugs the right way?

What prompted me to post was the millions of Americans who have looked the other way on sexual assault, rape, and child abuse while using Chinese misbehavior as an excuse. The same people go out and try and save $30 on a durable good. You may think it is one big joke but I don't think rape and child abuse are funny. If I have to pay $30 more to buy from a legitimate Chinese company I will. If I have to pay $40 more to buy from a legitimate American company in order to bring some jobs home I will.

I am not leveling this criticism at any one person, because there is plenty of blame to go around. Let's just all try and be better. You don't have to buy 100% American. But at least give your money to companies that seem to be trying to do things the right way.

Comment

Nice job! I mean why bother reading the OP and the rebuttal to the OP when you can just cherry pick two words completely out of context. I guess the "knockoff" part and the bit about "ebay" would ruin the narrative.

When you show me the blatant knockoffs Titla is making and drop shipping on ebay from a shady industrial address we will talk.

So because I don't want drug dealers hanging out on the corner of my block that means I'm criticizing ALL legitimate US pharmacies selling drugs the right way?

What prompted me to post was the millions of Americans who have looked the other way on sexual assault, rape, and child abuse while using Chinese misbehavior as an excuse. The same people go out and try and save $30 on a durable good. You may think it is one big joke but I don't think rape and child abuse are funny. If I have to pay $30 more to buy from a legitimate Chinese company I will. If I have to pay $40 more to buy from a legitimate American company in order to bring some jobs home I will.

I am not leveling this criticism at any one person, because there is plenty of blame to go around. Let's just all try and be better. You don't have to buy 100% American. But at least give your money to companies that seem to be trying to do things the right way.
                          Its now child abuse, rape, drug dealing, etc, etc. If you want to go all snowflake ethical its best for you to avoid buying anything and use anything because you might be contributing to a carbon footprint

Comment

Man, talk about jumping the shark!
                            The Blackmagic Design Cinema Camera - what it says on the box!

Comment

The reason I would get a cage is for cable locks to protect the camera ports. There's nothing about this on that page.
                              Filmmaker - Author
                              https://jgiambrone.wordpress.com/

Youtube

Comment

Working...
                              X