Red Komodo - BMPCC competitor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Komodo - BMPCC competitor?

Looks like Red is about to enter the Pocket/Micro/ZCam space. Should be pretty interesting!
    https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/07/...ot-what-it-is/

It will probably be as interesting as a RED Hydrogen.
    RED is headed for "dead."
    Their high end stuff is stalled.
    Their low end stuff is junk.
    I'd take a QC problem BM any day versus a RED that was even close to the same price point.

Comment

We'll see what the specs are when they are released. I am particularly excited about this because it's the same dimensions as the BMMCC. I've been waiting for something to upgrade my micro to for a long time, and this looks to be it. We'll also see how much it is.

Comment

Originally posted by GeranSimpson View Post
        We'll see what the specs are when they are released. I am particularly excited about this because it's the same dimensions as the BMMCC. I've been waiting for something to upgrade my micro to for a long time, and this looks to be it. We'll also see how much it is.
        Its not going to be under 5K, prolly kitted out around 10K. (red mags, red cables, ...)

Comment

"some very talented people banging on it to try and break it… " an $8k gopro then.

Comment

It was mentioned it's not under $5K unless you own a Hydrogen.

So it would easily be $6K+ if you need a Hydrogen to make it work, and probably closer to $7K+ after any additional modules/accessories.

Comment

If this requires the Hydrogen to function then it’ll be a hard pass for me. If not, then I might be interested.

It seems to have an RF mount which means Full Frame. I’m guessing 5K-6K resolution. Probably using the same sensor as the ZCam E2-F6

Comment

I predict someone will make a "Hitler-finds-out" video where he will be told that bmmcc2 has just been announced

Comment

If blackmagic has been working on a 4K micro 2 now is the time to put it out there

Comment

Well, at least „It does not use proprietary media“ !

Comment

Originally posted by Flabasha View Post
                      Looks like Red is about to enter the Pocket/Micro/ZCam space. Should be pretty interesting!
                      https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/07/...ot-what-it-is/
                      Why is this generating any interest is beyond me.... does the RED name still have any allure or weight? Granted they were the first 'outsiders' to build a capable cinema camera with the aim of being 'affordable' but Blackmagic did it properly and far better. Locking their user into using only re-badged cheap SSD sold at 10x or 15x the price and lying blatantly about it, charging thousands for accessories which cost at most $10 is fraud pure and simple. They've been suing everyone and their dog; bloggers, manufacturers and users, to cover up the cameras' notorious reliability problems. There's a rumour (which I believe) that Blackmagic had to remove CDNG RAW from their current cameras due to a threat from RED who patent trolled RAW video recording.

I'd never contemplate buying anything from such scumbag company.... and it'll probably be a 'me too' product, underspecced and overpriced.

Comment

Originally posted by RAWlover View Post
                        It will probably be as interesting as a RED Hydrogen.
                        RED is headed for "dead."
                        Their high end stuff is stalled.
                        Their low end stuff is junk.
                        I'd take a QC problem BM any day versus a RED that was even close to the same price point.
                        There is even a PS4 game about it

Comment

Originally posted by GeranSimpson View Post
                          yes, I am really looking forward to paying my SDXC cards ten times more.

Probably for the price of this single Red camera, you can have 5 BMMCC.

Comment

Originally posted by bmpcc_bel View Post
                            yes, I am really looking forward to paying my SDXC cards ten times more.

Probably for the price of this single Red camera, you can have 5 BMMCC.
                            For the price of one cooke lens you can have 100 t3i's... Point? What good is having 5 camera brains going to do? My micro rig with no lenses is already approaching $3000. With the Hydrogen discount the Komodo won't be much more, and will be a huge improvement over the micro.

If you like s16 1080p nobody is stopping you from using that system. It's getting harder for me to use 1080p on projects with 6K A-cams. It's time to upgrade, and I'm not interested in the Pocket 4K's sensor.

Like I said before, if BM has a Micro 2.0 in the works, the next few months is the time to release it.

Comment

For the price of a SSD RED, I have a full equiped BMMCC. The point is I can't imagine this RED camera will be a good alternative for a BMMCC user. If you have 5000$ + Hydrogen phone (+probably some more money to buy some RED accessories), better for you to buy an Ursa Mini Pro 4,6k. What do you think?

Comment

Working...
                              X