Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much does it really cost to get started with a BMCC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much does it really cost to get started with a BMCC?

I can't find a comprehensive list anywhere of the real costs for getting started with the BMCC. The camera is well priced, but the accessories add up quickly.

I've been adding up the numbers on a basic BMCC kit and coming to ~$12k USD.
    - BMCC MFT mount
    - 2x 240GB SSD
    - 2x Switronix Batteries
    - 1 Cineroid EVF
    - 4 Lens kit i.e Voigtlander, SLRmagic + various vintage
    - Wooden Camera Cage
    - 2x 2TB hard drives for backup/storage
    - Support System i.e. tripod, should mount etc.

I know this answer will be different for everyone, but if you could please put down what your BMCC kit is and the costs that would be great. I've also noticed that there are more BMCC specific accessories popping up, which is good news and will probably drop some of the initial costs.

I'm not freelance at the moment so it's hard for me to justify the expenses, but on the other hand the image quality offers its own sort of ROI.

Hi Charlie,
    I found your post confusing.
    Getting started is one thing, having an entire set of backup, battery and SSD solution is another.
    Same thing goes with lenses, you can get started with a single lens.
    What are you going to use the camera for ? You might be able to get a better picture of your cost expenses by knowing in what scenario are you going to be shooting.

You included several rig features as well as glass but no audio solution... so again:
    Are you shooting a feature, a documentary, small commercial work ?

Regards
    Diego Waisman
    Interactive Designer blog. Bits and pieces of the audiovisual and interactive world.

Comment

12k...dang!

for me It would be the EF camera body 3k
      battery solution $600
      sdi converter $300
      2 x SSD $600

Everything else I have so thats about $4500. I guess anyone starting from scratch it would be quite costly.

Oh and don't forget post...that can add up also if you don't have a system that can handle it.
      Darren Scott
      Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

Comment

You also need to consider a Resolve able desktop system with monitor (unless you have one already) and a thunderbolt enabled laptop for UltraScopes (again, unless you already have one). That is if you want to shoot RAW and get the most out of the BMC.

Comment

Originally posted by dwaisman View Post
          Hi Charlie,
          I found your post confusing.
          Getting started is one thing, having an entire set of backup, battery and SSD solution is another.
          Same thing goes with lenses, you can get started with a single lens.
          What are you going to use the camera for ? You might be able to get a better picture of your cost expenses by knowing in what scenario are you going to be shooting.

You included several rig features as well as glass but no audio solution... so again:
          Are you shooting a feature, a documentary, small commercial work ?

Regards
          Thanks, I can see the confusion. It probably arose because I am confused too! I don't know where to start with this camera. But that's why I wanted to know what everyone else's kits are. I am shooting TV commercials, short films and documentaries. Was using a T2i for years until it was lost in a helicam accident, but also learned DSLRs just don't cut it for me anymore. I am starting from scratch with regards to gear because I never had much to begin with but I've reached a point where I can now start affording pro gear (small bites at a time) and thus I am building the next few tiers in my ladder. I think the BMCC is a solid one to get.

I have a i7 MBP 2.2Ghz with 16GB RAM, Zoom H4n, Sennheiser Shotgun mic, and a 17-55mm Canon f/2.8 which I'm planning on selling -- or not -- depending on what BMCC mount I think will work the best for me.

Comment

Originally posted by jambredz View Post
            12k...dang!

for me It would be the EF camera body 3k
            battery solution $600
            sdi converter $300
            2 x SSD $600

Everything else I have so thats about $4500. I guess anyone starting from scratch it would be quite costly.

Oh and don't forget post...that can add up also if you don't have a system that can handle it.
            Thanks for the list! Are you using the smallHD with the SDI converter? I'm thinking of that but heard Zacuto is coming out with an SDI EVF and there will probably be others. It's so tough right now, everything is a waiting game. But I guess the BMCC delays make that easier to deal with.

Comment

I'm doing SSD for 200.00 and battery for 350.00 for starters. Expanding to an EVF shortly thereafter.

But I've already got Canon Glass focal lengths 11-1500mm (various lenses
              director reel

11 Blocks, debut feature on Netflix

Comment

I already have a Zacuto EVF which is hdmi. If they come out with an sdi version I'll sell mine and buy the new one (but that may be a bit down the road). I'd want to get shooting as soon as I have the camera.
                Darren Scott
                Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

Comment

Tbh, I'm just starting with the BMC body and a 240g SSD card and see what else I need from there. I'm guessing I'll need a battery pretty soon, but for my use I don't know how long I'll need the camera to run at one time for. I'm buying this for VFX purposes mainly.
                  http://valentin-mail.de/4a805

Comment

I need to get the camera ready for a full day's worth of shooting, power-wise, and SSD-wise. Doing TV commercials outdoors -- I work for an ad agency that caters to destinations so there is a lot of outdoor shooting -- where the DNR of this camera will really shine. The only drawback is the slowmo. Waves crashing tend to look more dramatic in slowmo, but that's a stylistic choice I'll have to make when the time comes. The last shoot we did was about 8 hours of rough footage after a week of shooting on DSLRs. We were dumping the whole time to laptop/HHDs and charging batteries every chance we got. I expect to do the same with the BMCC, so that's where I'm coming from. But for personal use -- I could definitely get away with a very minimal rig. I only tend to use two lenses anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Doom View Post
                      I need to get the camera ready for a full day's worth of shooting, power-wise, and SSD-wise. Doing TV commercials outdoors -- I work for an ad agency that caters to destinations so there is a lot of outdoor shooting -- where the DNR of this camera will really shine. The only drawback is the slowmo. Waves crashing tend to look more dramatic in slowmo, but that's a stylistic choice I'll have to make when the time comes. The last shoot we did was about 8 hours of rough footage after a week of shooting on DSLRs. We were dumping the whole time to laptop/HHDs and charging batteries every chance we got. I expect to do the same with the BMCC, so that's where I'm coming from. But for personal use -- I could definitely get away with a very minimal rig. I only tend to use two lenses anyway.
                      This is how people should ask for information on what would be useful:

- Viewfactor Cage (300.00)
                      - Viewfactor IDX Plate (300.00)
                      - Rods/Rails (100.00)
                      - Redrock SHoulder pad V2 (200.00)
                      - IDX/V-Mount Batteries x 3 and charger (1200.00)
                      - Sandisk 240gb SSDs x 4 (600.00)
                      - Seagate Thunderbolt Dock and Cable (150.00)
                      - Tiffen White Water IR 77mm ND full set up to 1.8/2.1 (350.00)
                      - TV Logic 5.6" and Cables to power from V-mount (1,300.00)
                      - Hoodman (50.00)
                      - Monitor Arm (125.00)
                      - Top handle (125.00)
                      - Juicedlink RM333 until Audio is Updated/fixed (400.00)

So that's 5,200 on top of the 3,000 that it costs to get the camera.

Give or take a deal or two for you it'd be 8,000.00.

I left out Storage, Tripod, Glass, mattebox, and follow focus because Storage you're likely charging client for anyway (or you should be). Glass is going to be shooter dependent, I don't use a mattebox unless I'm forced to and I don't use a follow focus unless I have to for some reason.

You could get away with two 240GB SSDs, likely not buy a full set of IR NDs, get a cheaper monitor, skip the Juicedlink if you're doing external audio and save a grand or more in total.

I'll likely only have three (3) Sandisk 240GB SSDs, if not two 240's and a 120... pennie pinching. But I would be deathly afraid of walking out with less than three.

SKYPE (best way to talk to me): Camera_Kholi | twitter
                      Avery and Pete: Superseeds Feature Film Trailer

Comment

Originally posted by Kholi View Post
                        This is how people should ask for information on what would be useful:

- Viewfactor Cage (300.00)
                        - Viewfactor IDX Plate (300.00)
                        - Rods/Rails (100.00)
                        - Redrock SHoulder pad V2 (200.00)
                        - IDX/V-Mount Batteries x 3 and charger (1200.00)
                        - Sandisk 240gb SSDs x 4 (600.00)
                        - Seagate Thunderbolt Dock and Cable (150.00)
                        - Tiffen White Water IR 77mm ND full set up to 1.8/2.1 (350.00)
                        - TV Logic 5.6" and Cables to power from V-mount (1,300.00)
                        - Hoodman (50.00)
                        - Monitor Arm (125.00)
                        - Top handle (125.00)
                        - Juicedlink RM333 until Audio is Updated/fixed (400.00)

So that's 5,200 on top of the 3,000 that it costs to get the camera.

Give or take a deal or two for you it'd be 8,000.00.

I left out Storage, Tripod, Glass, mattebox, and follow focus because Storage you're likely charging client for anyway (or you should be). Glass is going to be shooter dependent, I don't use a mattebox unless I'm forced to and I don't use a follow focus unless I have to for some reason.

You could get away with two 240GB SSDs, likely not buy a full set of IR NDs, get a cheaper monitor, skip the Juicedlink if you're doing external audio and save a grand or more in total.

I'll likely only have three (3) Sandisk 240GB SSDs, if not two 240's and a 120... pennie pinching. But I would be deathly afraid of walking out with less than three.
                        Thank you! This is exactly what I needed to find out. Sometimes the right question just falls into place.

Comment

IF you're curious about the SSD count, it's because they can take a while to offload. You go down from the acquisition drive to each storage drive, so if it takes 12 minutes to copy to one drive, then it's roughly 30 minutes to safely duplicate one SSD... and if you're out in the wild with no way to offload then that's another issue to deal with. The good thing about the THunderbolt dock is that it pulls power from the port, so you don't have to worry about that.

You could also add another Thunderbolt Dock and Cable to your setup for remote offloading, and just get 1TB or 2TB goFlex portables to keep the footage on until you can get to a larger disk array.

other than that, your 12K figure isn't far off once you add glass and support.

SKYPE (best way to talk to me): Camera_Kholi | twitter
                          Avery and Pete: Superseeds Feature Film Trailer

Comment

For me, only necessary new purchase would be the camera and SSD. I could live with the internal battery for now and also I happen to have all the lenses I intend to use already (that I have used with my two Canons).
                            the 2 x 2TB hard drives is quite optimistic for raw. I have today maybe roughly around ~20 TB of storage and that is for 5D mark II and 60D alone.

I would estimate that in addition to the EF-mount camera, the BMCC would cost me around ~200 more euros than the list price (for getting the SSDs). In addition to lenses, I already have tripods, rigs etc. I even have a glidecam already (alltough I need more weights for it for the BMCC compared to Canon). And if I would urgently need a lots of battery capacity, if I were adventurous enough, I might be able to do a lightweight high capacity power supply from RC airplane batteries fairly easily which are rather inexpensive in Hobbyking (where I order my RC/RPV stuff regularly). But I can't recommend this thing for people who know nothing about electronics as Lipos are quite dangerous and lipo fire will not stop from pouring water on it.

This is what I do with hard disks: when I start shooting something that takes a lot of space. I go and buy a new external hard disk that is in the current price optimum if my previous one is nearly full. My latest hard disk purchase was a 3TB external hard disk (that was about the best price-storage size range at the moment) and a 12 TB RAID-system for backups to be installed on our Ubuntu-server. I have pile of external hard disks and they contain footage from different shoots/locations, like floppy disks a long time ago. I could and should actually write to a sticker to each what they contain as now it is painful to find the right hard disk from the pile. Only one of these external hard disks are connected at a time to my Mac, and only when I want to access my footage, to not wear the disks out by spinning them unnecessarily without use (external hard drives don't like to be spun for years continuosly, better to shut them down when not in use).

So my minimalist total would be around 2899 EUR + 216.90 EUR (240 GB SSD) = 3115.9 EUR. It is far far below 12K figure. Of course if you have nothing and need everything, it will be costly thing to start from scratch as always. You can add new Macs too if you have none or your computers are not fresh enough. But I would not count them into price of a camera. Like I don't count rig to price of camera since the rig is used with any camera I have now or in the future.
                            Last edited by karoliinasalmin; 01-04-2013, 02:47 AM.
                            Ex-BMCC-user

Comment

The OP works for an Ad Agency but doesn't have a tripod? Hmmmm

Comment

Working...
                              X