UMP or EVA1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UMP or EVA1?

I'm having a hard time deciding between ump or EVA1. Looking for the most cinematic image and easiest to color grade. I would like lighter but not necessarily a deciding factor.

UMP G2 by a long stretch. There's a larger ecosystem for the UMP now. You get interchangeable mounts so you can adopt PL lenses as your project demands. Resolve Studio comes with it too.

Comment

Get the G2! Amazing color, easy to grade, and very flexible. You also get raw out of the box.
      www.lightformfilm.com
      https://vimeo.com/suwanchote

follow me on instagram @lightformfilm

Comment

Had the UMP and moved to the EVA1 when it came out. Awesome camera, half the weight and lots of flexibility. Battery lasts forever. Helpful to have 2 4K outputs - SDI and HDMI. No moire issues. I use the Pocket4k as my b cam on a gimbal and they match well (EVA1 has more dr). Looking forward to the S1 upgrade for vlog and might retire the pocket.

Originally posted by jefferypeterson View Post
        I'm having a hard time deciding between ump or EVA1. Looking for the most cinematic image and easiest to color grade. I would like lighter but not necessarily a deciding factor.

Comment

Originally posted by soarprod View Post
          Had the UMP and moved to the EVA1 when it came out. Awesome camera, half the weight and lots of flexibility. Battery lasts forever. Helpful to have 2 4K outputs - SDI and HDMI. No moire issues. I use the Pocket4k as my b cam on a gimbal and they match well (EVA1 has more dr). Looking forward to the S1 upgrade for vlog and might retire the pocket.
          How do you feel about the S1 being limited to 150 mbps bit rate? I like how compact the unit is but I'd think going from prores/braw to 150mbps is a big downgrade?

Comment

The S1H might get higher bitrates when it's released later this year (plus it will have 6K/24p and 4K/60p 10-bit).

Comment

Originally posted by NorBro View Post
              The S1H might get higher bitrates when it's released later this year (plus it will have 6K/24p and 4K/60p 10-bit).
              Yeah seems like they've reserved the higher bit rates for it seeing as there's no reason the s1 or it's media couldn't support it. $4k USD for a mirrorless though? getting a bit out of hand I'd say. Wish the market went for high spec'd aps-c mirrorless but doesn't look like that's happening.

Comment

It's definitely pushing it for today's times based on expectations, but it's still in that doable range. (The new Fujifilm GFX 100 is $10,000 and a top seller, lol...not sure how that happened.)

The Panasonic is a loaded full-frame camera (that's also a stills camera if you need one) with many awesome features, especially with the absolutely amazing IBIS.

With the UMP one could also say you're basically paying $6K for just color science, ND filters, and RAW/ProRes...because there is not much else.

Even though inexpensive systems like the X-T3 and Pocket 4K exist and offer so much for very little, the hybrid full-frame systems will still be $2K+. The a7RII and a7SII were around $3K when they came out. The a7SIII will probably be around there or a bit more when it's announced later this year.

Comment

What response other than "UMP" were you expecting on a Blackmagic forum? lol.
                  instagram
                  my work

Comment

Originally posted by misterkofa View Post
                    What response other than "UMP" were you expecting on a Blackmagic forum? lol.
                    This exact response 🙂

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Comment

I've shot about 25 projects in the 150mbps mode and it looks great. Very convenient for the documentary projects as I don't have to use larger then 128gb cards. Rarely use the 400mbps mode. Other projects have requested prores from my shogun recorder or sometimes 5.7k prores raw.

Originally posted by Ryanite View Post
                      How do you feel about the S1 being limited to 150 mbps bit rate? I like how compact the unit is but I'd think going from prores/braw to 150mbps is a big downgrade?

Comment

I was looking at the EVA1, but it’s fixed EF mount and the added expense of converting it to PL, was a road block. In the end, I got a Ursa Broadcast for documentary and event shooting, and a Nikon Z6 for other projects. You can shoot then Z6 in APS/C (DX) S35 mode with virtually no quality loss in HD or UHD shooting. I do not need full 4K, so this works for me.
                        Cheers

Comment

S1, Z6, & A7III all seem to be using a similar sensor - all great options!

Originally posted by Denny Smith View Post
                          I was looking at the EVA1, but it’s fixed EF mount and the added expense of converting it to PL, was a road block. In the end, I got a Ursa Broadcast for documentary and event shooting, and a Nikon Z6 for other projects. You can shoot then Z6 in APS/C (DX) S35 mode with virtually no quality loss in HD or UHD shooting. I do not need full 4K, so this works for me.
                          Cheers

Comment

Working...
                          X