Received my G2! But....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Received my G2! But....

Would not power on. Womp womp. I did however call customer service (in Singapore mind you, it was 1am when I was trying it out) and CS diagnosed the problem over the phone. I returned it and another one is on the way. I was pretty excited to join the BM eco-system but now am a little skeptical. I can't have things like that happen on a professional set, let alone during tests. TIME IS MONEY in this industry!

Any words of advice for a first time BM user? Is this to be expected in all their products? Or did I just have bad luck?

It's expected, but BM has improved a lot over the years. Sometimes you'll get one BM camera that you'll put through hell and back and it will be perfect, and other times you get your first BM camera and it won't turn on, LOL.

Just the way of the universe.

Words of advice...bring a back-up camera to every shoot (even a point-and-shoot if that's all you can bring).

Comment

This is a rare instance but it can happen with any brand of product. I've had 6 Blackmagic Cameras in the last 5 years and thankfully everyone of them had no issues.
      My UMP G2 arrived a couple of weeks ago with no issues at all. I just used it again last night on a shoot... pretty confident of it. Like Norbro advice, bring an extra cam for back-up.
      Attached Files

Comment

Happened to us with an expensive Sony CineAlta back in the day. These are very complex electronic devices, and only NASA or the military can afford to burn-in the components for an extended period
        Last edited by Nomad; 07-01-2019, 02:52 AM.

Comment

Same problem here. My G2 worked for a day, then won't turn on. Waiting to hear back form the the seller for an exchange.

Comment

At such a low price point, it's pretty much up to the end user to stress-test the device to see if the unit is reliable. As others have said, besides doing your own QC, always have a backup even if it's a consumer cam.

Comment

Doe'snt matter if it cost a penny or $6k you still expect it work at least last 12 months. You should'nt put the responsibility of field worthiness on the customer.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys. Getting a replacement sent, luckily they were in stock, and it will arrive tomorrow. Crossing my fingers on this one! will update yall on progress if any.

Comment

Originally posted by Taikonaut View Post
                  Doe'snt matter if it cost a penny or $6k you still expect it work at least last 12 months. You should'nt put the responsibility of field worthiness on the customer.
                  Reliability comes with a price.
                  A reliable 4k high quality image with all those features doesn't cost $6K, it costs $60K.
                  Blackmagic just offers a cheap-ass version of one of those cameras for 1/10th the price. Expecting it to be as reliable and high quality as the $60K versions isn't a reasonable idea. We don't expect that from any other extreme-cost-cutting versions of any other type of product, do we?
                  Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
                  Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
                  Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Comment

Seeing they are in stock somewhere - did anyone received their in Europe? I ordered mine from CVP in april and they say didnt receive any cameras yet.

Comment

Originally posted by DPStewart View Post
                      A reliable 4k high quality image with all those features doesn't cost $6K, it costs $60K.
                      Blackmagic just offers a cheap-ass version of one of those cameras for 1/10th the price. Expecting it to be as reliable and high quality as the $60K versions isn't a reasonable idea. We don't expect that from any other extreme-cost-cutting versions of any other type of product, do we?
                      I dunno if I agree with this premise. Yes, I know cheap quality cheap results but... For Blackmagic, they've made pretty well build equipment and cameras. The URSA line does not look and feel cheap at all. My friend has a C200 and I find the G2 to be solidly build compared to the C200. The magnesium housing of the G2 (I think), for example, feels like a more expensive build compare to the plastic feel of the C200.

Comment

I don't particularly agree with this either. For example, Costco is selling 55" Samsung 4K tv's for $379. If it didn't work after a month I would be pissed. BM does lower the price point dramatically, and that's also because the old school players are trying to protect their profit margins. Because the cost of pro motion gear (remember 35mm sound cameras?) was historically so expensive, rental houses covered maintenance with full time technicians. Pro photographers however, always carried backup rigs.

Now that "pro" motion gear is the same cost as stills gear, we may have to get used to the idea of having backup systems on hand.

ie: a BMPCC 4K with Speed Booster serves as a backup to my C300M2, which I sometimes bring along as backup when productions hire a different camera for a shoot.
                        karlkimdp.com

Comment

$To have to spend 60K for a reliable camera is a crock.

Pure fanboy rationalization.

Blackmagic should be ashamed of the people who have to come here and post about their brand new defective cameras.

Comment

Originally posted by MihaK View Post
                            Seeing they are in stock somewhere - did anyone received their in Europe? I ordered mine from CVP in april and they say didnt receive any cameras yet.
                            Got my G2 from CVP last week.

Comment

Originally posted by RAWlover View Post
                              $To have to spend 60K for a reliable camera is a crock.

Pure fanboy rationalization.

Blackmagic should be ashamed of the people who have to come here and post about their brand new defective cameras.
                              An Alexa is hand-assembled, and every component is rigorously tested along the way. Then after assembly each camera is subjected to extreme stress to filter out any units with imperfections. That's how you make a bulletproof machine, and it costs a lot of money to have specialized labs for that kind of quality control.

If you think a $5000 machine-printed assembly line piece of equipment is going to have that kind you attention to detail you're living in a dream world.

Blackmagic has embraced the low end. That means defective units are serviced or replaced from the field. The cost of quality control is transferred to the end-user. That's just the way it is.

There's nothing wrong with that.

Comment

Working...
                              X