Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro 4.6K Discontinued, URSA Mini Pro G2 Now Shipping

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro 4.6K Discontinued, URSA Mini Pro G2 Now Shipping

    The URSA Mini Pro 4.6K has been formally discontinued by Blackmagic.

    The new URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 has begun shipping and is the direct replacement for the URSA Mini Pro 4.6K camera.

    The HandGrip is an optional accessory for the G2 for $199.

    The URSA Mini Pro 4K is still available for $2995.


    BLACKMAGIC URSA MINI PRO 4.6K G2 - CINEURSAMUPRO46KG2 $5995

    BLACKMAGIC URSA MINI HANDGRIP BMURSACA/HGRIP $199

    BLACKMAGIC URSA MINI PRO MIC MOUNT CINEURSASHSMC $135

    BLACKMAGIC URSA MINI SSD RECORDER CINEURSASHMSSD $395

    SKB BLACKMAGIC URSA MINI CASE 3I-221312BKU $359.99


  • #2
    Your site shows 3-5 days for orders, is this accurate?

    Comment


    • #3
      I'm skipping the G2. Sure there is improvement but there is not enough of a sensor leap from the original UM4.6k. I feel 8k large format should be the gold standard now and the future.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Taikonaut View Post
        I'm skipping the G2. Sure there is improvement but there is not enough of a sensor leap from the original UM4.6k. I feel 8k large format should be the gold standard now and the future.
        If you are filming anything with good motion (choreography for example) the G2 is king and it just looks like the cameras "up there". This applies to absolutely every scene - something that can't be just seen with comparing screenshots. The motion is magical. I suspect that BM might be designing some higher resolution camera, perhaps large format, but that could take quite a while from development to announcement to delivery etc. If the camera was just around the corner for summer release for example they would not bother with the G2 - I think we are looking deep into 2020 for actual delivery and that's all speculation. Also, if it's lets say 8K it would probably be 30fps or 60fps at 8K. The readout time will get back to 15ms for full sensor readout and it will only reduce for windowed modes loosing all this great benefit the G2 gives. Another issue with higher resolutions is when you don't really need it (space and processing power wise) but can't film lower resolution unless severely windowed or film in downscaled ProRes (which still has the full sensor readout speed). RED users know this very well that's why they are all over Gemini - 5K is perfectly great. I also don't see how the DR could increase from the 4.6K sensor - it's up there already. Perhaps a DUAL ISO mode is the biggest feature although the G2 is pretty great already at ISO1600/3200.
        Long story short, I think the G2 is wrongly underestimated as a "G1 with higher frame rates" but it's much more than that. Of course if it's worth upgrading is up to the individual.

        Comment


        • #5
          I knew what the G2 strength is but the sensor is not next gen. Dual ISO is the way to go and for a one man band like myself who don't carry enough lights that is critical. Eventually all techs conform to a standard so will BMD and they will not want to be left behind. 8k and large format, dual ISO, the G2 isn't but I'm sure in the near future the next camera will get there.

          Comment


          • #6
            Filmtools had a G2 in stock last week.

            Question, and I dont know if its already been answered or not but I rarely come here. Does the G2 have a dual ISO like the pocket or is it the same as the G1 just with some added goodies?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Sarlacc View Post
              Filmtools had a G2 in stock last week.

              Question, and I dont know if its already been answered or not but I rarely come here. Does the G2 have a dual ISO like the pocket or is it the same as the G1 just with some added goodies?
              Same sensor, so it's the same great image from their dual channel sensor and NOT a dual ISO.

              Personally I'll take the much larger DR of this sensor family over dual ISO.

              JB

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by John Brawley View Post
                Same sensor, so it's the same great image from their dual channel sensor and NOT a dual ISO.

                Personally I'll take the much larger DR of this sensor family over dual ISO.

                JB
                Likewise. Some of my favorite films still have very noticeable noise (not film grain) in shots, and it didn't bother me one bit. Other features shot on film sometimes had really chunky grain and that also didn't bother me. I prefer the added DR over more flexible iso performance.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by John Brawley View Post
                  Same sensor, so it's the same great image from their dual channel sensor and NOT a dual ISO.

                  Personally I'll take the much larger DR of this sensor family over dual ISO.

                  JB
                  I agree, I was only curious if it was a new sensor/ even better low light.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Why not have both better DR and dual ISO?

                    I won't say it now but if by this time next year BMD brings out a G3 using the same 4.6k sensor I won't be alone in saying they are flogging a dead horse. That is why I'm confident a next gen sensor will likely appear in their next flagship camera.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I don’t want to see Blackmagic sacrifice anything for dual iso or resolution. The G2 is the best looking sub $10K camera on the market. That motion cadence is next level.

                      Resolution & dual ISO are moot trendy tech. It doesn’t improve IQ. And Dual ISO doesn’t automatically make a camera a low light beast, the EVA1 is only marginally better at low light than the UMP. 8K or Dual ISO will never make a camera look as good as Arri Alexa cameras. The UMPG2 comes close. I don’t want to see Blackmagic give that up chasing trendy tech. Arri won’t sacrifice IQ chasing trendy tech, and their S35 4K sensor is still a few years away.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
                        I don’t want to see Blackmagic sacrifice anything for dual iso or resolution. The G2 is the best looking sub $10K camera on the market. That motion cadence is next level.

                        Resolution & dual ISO are moot trendy tech. It doesn’t improve IQ. And Dual ISO doesn’t automatically make a camera a low light beast, the EVA1 is only marginally better at low light than the UMP. 8K or Dual ISO will never make a camera look as good as Arri Alexa cameras. The UMPG2 comes close. I don’t want to see Blackmagic give that up chasing trendy tech. Arri won’t sacrifice IQ chasing trendy tech, and their S35 4K sensor is still a few years away.
                        So true.
                        The EVA1 dual iso is almost a scam.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
                          I donít want to see Blackmagic sacrifice anything for dual iso or resolution. The G2 is the best looking sub $10K camera on the market. That motion cadence is next level.

                          Resolution & dual ISO are moot trendy tech. It doesnít improve IQ. And Dual ISO doesnít automatically make a camera a low light beast, the EVA1 is only marginally better at low light than the UMP. 8K or Dual ISO will never make a camera look as good as Arri Alexa cameras. The UMPG2 comes close. I donít want to see Blackmagic give that up chasing trendy tech. Arri wonít sacrifice IQ chasing trendy tech, and their S35 4K sensor is still a few years away.
                          Agreed but im skipping the g2 as well, for me the upgrade from the g1 is not worth the cost. So im waiting on the g3 or new camera with increased DR but more importantly much better IQ (FF is also nice though, but I def prefer major IQ boost over FF), I also like to underexpose images, which makes the ump not the ideal camera for me, with the alexa I can get away with it no problem, but not on the ump. Only image from any camera I am in love with is the Alexa. The reds look so darn good, the image is so creamy, the only thing that makes me puke is the pricetag.
                          Last edited by polaroid22; 05-08-2019, 12:18 AM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I'm going for the UMB - because I love S16 :-)

                            But I have just invested heavily (for me - 17K in lenses is a bit of cash) in a set of Mamiya 645's all converted to PL...so an S35 is also on the cards, is the G2 the one ? I understand how those with a G1 are not moving up, but for those without an S35 cam at all, seems like a no brainer.
                            Last edited by M&M's; 05-08-2019, 03:14 AM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by polaroid22 View Post
                              Agreed but im skipping the g2 as well, for me the upgrade from the g1 is not worth the cost. So im waiting on the g3 or new camera with increased DR but more importantly much better IQ (FF is also nice though, but I def prefer major IQ boost over FF), I also like to underexpose images, which makes the ump not the ideal camera for me, with the alexa I can get away with it no problem, but not on the ump. Only image from any camera I am in love with is the Alexa. The reds look so darn good, the image is so creamy, the only thing that makes me puke is the pricetag.
                              Get a used Arri Alexa classic, on CVP you can get them for under 6K. Which I'm considering right now haha.
                              Last edited by Unknown; 05-08-2019, 04:10 AM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X