Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want to downscale 4k to 2k on the fly with an external recorder - but how?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to downscale 4k to 2k on the fly with an external recorder - but how?

I use my X-T3 when autofocus is needed (ie. for zooming while recording) - when not, i use my bmpcc.

The reason why i want a recorder is to avoid the H.265 codec and the reason to downscale 4k to 1080p is to optain great IQ and still have "small" file sizes. I know i could just buy a 4k external monitor, but i dont wanna mess around with hundreds of GB in post.

SO i have been thinking about this option:

Video assist 5" + https://www.scandinavianphoto.dk/bla...f5&fo_s=gpladk

Connecting the micro converter with the X-T3 and then connect the converter with the VA, since the VA automaticly downscales the 4k input to 1080p, but only when its through the SDI.
    But will this work - or is there another way?

You can’t just shoot in 1080?

Comment

No. The downscaled 1080 is much sharper than the X-T3's 1080, dont know if the color or luma-quality increase though.

Comment

You want small file siezes?! Just shoot in braw 12:1!
        It is pretty pretty small. And you can buy 512 SD Cards for 199,- Euros these days.

If you downscale to 1980p .. what format would you prefer? ProRes? It is bigger than braw12:1.

Comment

I can confirm that downscaling UHD to HD works well with the Video Assist 5" when I've tried it with other cameras. But I suppose you will have to verify that the X-T3 is outputting a proper 10-bit UHD signal.

Comment

rogmag nice to hear! But how do you set it up? Do you have SDI on your camera - because from what i have read, the Video assist doesnt downscale if its through hdmi?

Comment

Originally posted by S_Berger View Post
              You want small file siezes?! Just shoot in braw 12:1!
              It is pretty pretty small. And you can buy 512 SD Cards for 199,- Euros these days.

If you downscale to 1980p .. what format would you prefer? ProRes? It is bigger than braw12:1.
              Your absolutely right, S_Berger. But for that i need the Pocket 4k or the ursa mini pro (which i have considered, but i havent got the money for it). And on the X-T3 i have autofocus, which is a huge help for me, since im both the cinematographer and director in many cases, and the crazy-good autofocus in xt3 lets me focus more on different things than focusing

Comment

What lenses are you using? Manual focusing becomes very natural and easy with lenses that have a good throw.

Be aware that the video assist will record whatever signal is coming from the camera without filtering, so if the camera is outputting any little overlays that you can't get rid of (like panasonic), they will be on the footage.

Comment

Originally posted by jalokin98 View Post
                  rogmag nice to hear! But how do you set it up? Do you have SDI on your camera - because from what i have read, the Video assist doesnt downscale if its through hdmi?
                  This was with an SDI output on the camera, yes. The HDMI input on the Video Assist 5" doesn't accept UHD at all.

Comment

The Convergent Design Odyssey 7Q does exactly what you’re describing. It can supersample a 4K HDMI source into ProRes2K/1080p.

Comment

The Atomos recorder monitors like the Inferno will downsample your UDH signal to HD as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Grasso View Post
                        The Atomos recorder monitors like the Inferno will downsample your UDH signal to HD as well.
                        I have a Shogun Inferno, and as far as I can see, this is only on HDMI/SDI out, and playback of already recorded material. The internal recording is still 4K.

Comment

Unless you need a fast turnaround edit why not just post process the in camera files to 1080 ProRes, you would likely see very little difference and would have the 4k for archival, or if you want to do any reframing punch in. If my colour space math is right when you down sample 4k 4:2:0 you can get 1080 4:4:4. You only need to record the 4:2:2 output if you want full colour space 4k.

Comment

Originally posted by Omnicolour View Post
                            I have a Shogun Inferno, and as far as I can see, this is only on HDMI/SDI out, and playback of already recorded material. The internal recording is still 4K.
                            Ah yes, you're right. Just tested myself. I just assumed it would do that since you could convert the 4k signal to HD on the outputs. Weird.

Comment

Working...
                            X