Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone can give feedback on Pocket 4K vs Sony F3 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone can give feedback on Pocket 4K vs Sony F3 ?

Very curious how these cameras compare to date. I know the differences between them ( on paper ). What i would be interested is a feedback from a real user of both cameras regarding image quality, low light and overall usability. Looking to add a Pocket 4k on my gear pack and no way i can demo one in my area.

If you are reading the tech specs you know it is a huge difference.

- 4k vs. 1080p
    - braw vs. mpeg-2

Color science, Dynamic Range, Dual ISO... it is totaly different.

The Pocket4k is much better.
    If you cannot rent a Pocket 4k just watch videos on vimeo and buy one.
    ANd if you donīt like it send it back.

Comment

The F3 has a pro form factor with SDI, ND Filters, S35 sensor, PL mount, etc.. But if the DSLR form factor isn’t an issue, then the BMPCC4K easily tops the F3 in image quality, motion cadence, resolution, and robust raw(like?) files in the BRAW format.

Comment

I am recording on a external recorder Prores HQ 422 10 bits 60p.

Comment

Originally posted by Cristian Mihai View Post
          I am recording on a external recorder Prores HQ 422 10 bits 60p.
          And the pocket does 4k DCI internally up to 60p in prores 422 HQ and in Braw. No comparison.
          Darren Scott
          Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

Comment

Very curious how these cameras compare to date. I know the differences between them ( on paper ). What i would be interested is a feedback from a real user of both cameras regarding image quality, low light and overall usability. Looking to add a Pocket 4k on my gear pack and no way i can demo one in my area.

I own both cameras.

The F3 is one of the best S35 HD cameras out there. 13.5 useable stops, 10 bit uncompressed 444 sLOG output to DNG with the RGB slog upgrade to a proper recorder like the Odyssey. It has a heavy duty Sony F-Z mount and a PL mount adapter that can support the heaviest cine lenses. You can adopt F-Z to Nikon, Canon etc. There is also internal ND, a full array of I/O including SDI etc. The rear EVF is garbage, but it's there and you can frame and shoot with it in a pinch. Overall this is a very good camera. New they were about $18,000 with the sLOG upgrade. The F3 was not a toy although it looks a lot like a HandyCam, but was the base Cinealta model. The F3 is in many ways a HD version of the Sony F5. Low light performance is very good. This is a s35 sensor with only about 2.4k pixels in total that are downsampled for HD output, so the receptor wells are the size of a trashcan. Roll off in the highlights is very good. Colors are accurate and it's one of the more cinematic looking Sony cameras. You can find the F3 for under $1000, but you really need to find one with the full 'paid' sLOG upgrade and add an external recorder. If you don't already have the recorder the F3 makes no financial sense these days, since the internal recording format is highly compressed. If you already have the recorder and don't need more than HD and don't mind a studio size camera it still is a very good camera considering that they are going for very little money these days.

Here is a Chanel spec commercial I did with my F3 (uncompressed 444 slog RGB)

http://www.felidigiorgio.com/chanel

uncompressed 444 HD is about 10mb per frame so the F3 burns through a lot if disk space compared to BRAW. You can also record Prores XQ, 444, 422 etc on the Odyssey.

I really loved the F3 and the picture it makes.

But times have changed

Up until recently the F3 was an incredible bargain, but the Pocket 4k @ $1300 has changed that. Mainly because it allows you to record BRAW or CDNG internally or externally to a cheap SSD. That eliminates the need for something like the Odyssey recorder which is about $2000. The F3 is no where near its full potential without the eternal recorder. The P4k is also smaller, has BRAW, 4k, comes with a HD screen etc. Overall the P4k is a much better deal. Go for the Pocket 4k
            Last edited by Harry Lime; 04-28-2019, 09:39 PM.

Comment

^ Very interesting.

If money was not an issue, and if the user didn't need 4k or cared for internal NDs or form factor... would you say the image quality is approximately the same?

(I'm asking just out of curiosity, because years ago, on the blind Zacuto shootout, my two favorite cameras were the Alexa and the F3, followed by the EPIC, C300 and F65)
              (edit: just checked my notes from tests I've seen online and the F3 should have as much DR as the 4.6k sensor, and therefore clearly ahead of the p4k)
              Last edited by Samuel H; 04-29-2019, 03:00 AM.
              My YouTube channel

Comment

I think this is going off track, I think the OP has an F3 and would like to add a P4k and wants to know how well it will match, presumably for HD productions. In that situation I imagine the best comparison would have the P4k shooting full sensor HD ProRes. I don't have either so can't comment.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi9yR8phq84

Comment

Well, I got nothing out of this comparison.

a) the creator did not even mention some basic information like what lenses he used, the camera settings, codecs, the post workflow.
                    b) he did not compare the same angle of view on both cameras and didn't try to replicate the shots on each camera
                    c) we have no idea how experienced he is with each camera, if he possibly did something wrong or not
                    d) watching a super compressed video on youtube for comparing camera quality isn't quite useful - at least he could have done a 4k (upscaled) upload for overall better streaming quality.
                    e) seems no one uses a proper tripod or stabilization for shooting cinematic scenes anymore

I would really like to see a proper comparison done, but this isn't one.

Comment

Working...
                    X