No announcement yet.

UMP G2 Received

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, as long as you compare Arri or Red 'out of the box', I'd say the G2 comes really close.
    But there is one thing only Red has: the Tessive filter, aka Motion Mount. If you apply that, the motion cadence looks like film. Period.
    All electronic shutters show the beginning and the end of the motion blur with a sharp edge, which generates the typical digital look. Film has soft edges to motion blur, since the mechanical shutter is not in focus. The Motion Mount generates just that. Unfortunately, it eats 1.6 stops of light…

Comment

Thanks for the tests Will, the motion of the G2 looks really great indeed! Can't wait to get mine.

Comment

The BMPC4K has some really interesting motion blur. The edges of objects kind of disinitegrate during fast moving shots. I like the way motion looks with the global shutter but that effect has ruined some shots for me in the past.

I wonder why nobody has made a digital video camera with a mechanical shutter, or if it’s even possible

Comment

Originally posted by GeranSimpson View Post
          The BMPC4K has some really interesting motion blur. The edges of objects kind of disinitegrate during fast moving shots. I like the way motion looks with the global shutter but that effect has ruined some shots for me in the past.

I wonder why nobody has made a digital video camera with a mechanical shutter, or if it’s even possible
          Yeah, the Pocket 4K's motion is better than the UMP G1. It has a faster scan rate than the G1 as I understand. When the Alexa first came out, they made the Studio version that had a rotating mechanical mirror shutter. The camera is now discontinued. The Alexa scan rate is the fastest in its class, and that's why it gives such nice film-like motion. The new G2 is just a tad behind.

Comment

Production 4k. The acronym for the pocket would be BMPCC4K. Upon reviewing some action footage shot with it, in some frames the performers arms and legs taper off and are almost invisible when kicking and punching. I don't think film behaves like that.

I should have typed out the name XD blackmagic acronyms are so similar.
            Last edited by GeranSimpson; 04-29-2019, 08:09 AM.

Comment

I wonder why nobody has made a digital video camera with a mechanical shutter, or if itís even possible
              There was a version of Sony's F65 with mechanical shutter.

David

Comment

Arri D20 / D21

Alexa Studio (great camera and loved the mechanical shutter)

Sony f65

Dalsa Origin (I think)

Aaton Penelope Delta (sent them broke)

JB

Comment

Awesome. I'm surprised manufactures don't do it more often.

Screw it all let's just go back to film lol

Comment

Originally posted by Will Vazquez View Post
                    Yeah, the Pocket 4K's motion is better than the UMP G1. It has a faster scan rate than the G1 as I understand. When the Alexa first came out, they made the Studio version that had a rotating mechanical mirror shutter. The camera is now discontinued. The Alexa scan rate is the fastest in its class, and that's why it gives such nice film-like motion. The new G2 is just a tad behind.
                    Pocket4K is 16.2ms at 4K
                    UMP G1 is 12.6ms at 4K (15.2ms at 4.6K)
                    UMP G2 is 6.3ms at 4K (7.6ms at 4.6K - 3.2ms at 2K)
                    The Arri Alexa is about 6ms at 3.2K
                    Film in a broad sense is about 5ms

So technically speaking, the G2 is faster than the Alexa given the same resolution and slighty slower given the full sensor area readout. The G1 also has faster scan rate than the Pocket4k.

All about shutter speeds: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...-on-this-issue

Comment

Originally posted by pidulgi View Post
                      Pocket4K is 16.2ms at 4K
                      UMP G1 is 12.6ms at 4K (15.2ms at 4.6K)
                      UMP G2 is 6.3ms at 4K (7.6ms at 4.6K - 3.2ms at 2K)
                      The Arri Alexa is about 6ms at 3.2K
                      Film in a broad sense is about 5ms

So technically speaking, the G2 is faster than the Alexa given the same resolution and slighty slower given the full sensor area readout. The G1 also has faster scan rate than the Pocket4k.

All about shutter speeds: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...-on-this-issue
                      on th G2 is it 3.2ms at 2k when windowed? or full sensor?

Comment

Originally posted by drcoffee2 View Post
                        on th G2 is it 3.2ms at 2k when windowed? or full sensor?
                        There is no full sensor 2K reading. A full sensor readout means all the pixels are read which are the 4.6K area. Even in ProRes HD it just down scales the full 4.6K sensor read in HD so the 4.6K readout time applies there. Perhaps people are used from consumer cameras than don't mind downscaling since it's on a non-raw codec anyways so it appears lower resultions are not windowed but what actually happens is that they take a full sensor readout and downscale it. Even if there was some kind of magical RAW 2K with downscaling that doesn't crop it will still have the readout time of the full sensor: it takes that long to read the full sensor.

Comment

There is no full sensor 2K reading. A full sensor readout means all the pixels are read which are the 4.6K area. Even in ProRes HD it just down scales the full 4.6K sensor read in HD so the 4.6K readout time applies there. Perhaps people are used from consumer cameras than don't mind downscaling since it's on a non-raw codec anyways so it appears lower resultions are not windowed but what actually happens is that they take a full sensor readout and downscale it. Even if there was some kind of magical RAW 2K with downscaling that doesn't crop it will still have the readout time of the full sensor: it takes that long to read the full sensor.
                          So are you saying its only 3.2ms in 2k windowed mode? and un-windowed 2k is 7.6ms? thanks a lot

Comment

Originally posted by drcoffee2 View Post
                            So are you saying its only 3.2ms in 2k windowed mode? and un-windowed 2k is 7.6ms? thanks a lot
                            I am saying that anything else than 4.6K is windowed. It takes less time because there are less pixels to read. Anything "non windowed" was orginally the 4.6K readout downscaled and therefore the full sensor readout applies.

Comment

I am saying that anything else than 4.6K is windowed. It takes less time because there are less pixels to read. Anything "non windowed" was orginally the 4.6K readout downscaled and therefore the full sensor readout applies.
                              Ahh ok, so 2k un-windowed is 7.6ms

Comment

Working...
                              X